• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Bunk Boards - warning, warning Will Robinson...

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmm....my trailer was just overhauled except for the boards. New tires, brake check, repack etc. I am picking it up tomorrow. Boat remains indoors, stored on a rack. When I checked the boards a few weeks ago, I walked on them and they did not budge or appear weak anywhere. It's an 08. But with lots of time (like 2 weeks before I go grab the boat) you guys now have me worried. One, where do I get that type of lumber, if not Home Depot or Loews? What about the carpet? What kind and where? Bolt size? I figure replace what is in there now. Do I actually have to order special bunk board carpet on line? Or can I pick it up locally?

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just visited HD and saw 2 PT boards (1 2x12 and 1 2x6) with absolutely 0 knots and straight grain and straight. I can rip the 2x12 down. It was still slightly wet from treatment. My boat is stored outdoors so it is exposed to the weather. What do you guys think. Should I get them or go to the lumber yard?

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@OCMD I just bought my carpet on eBay by the seller boatcarpetsales. This guy was recommended by mikeyl and many others. I am still working on the rest.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm....my trailer was just overhauled except for the boards. New tires, brake check, repack etc. I am picking it up tomorrow. Boat remains indoors, stored on a rack. When I checked the boards a few weeks ago, I walked on them and they did not budge or appear weak anywhere. It's an 08. But with lots of time (like 2 weeks before I go grab the boat) you guys now have me worried. One, where do I get that type of lumber, if not Home Depot or Loews? What about the carpet? What kind and where? Bolt size? I figure replace what is in there now. Do I actually have to order special bunk board carpet on line? Or can I pick it up locally?
an easy test is to unscrew one of the lag bolts and look at the wood that comes out.. if it is real mealy or easily broken or feels rotten when you stick you finger in the screw hole replace it.. if the bolt comes out clean and you can tighten it back without stripping it, then the wood should be ok.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry but I am uptight when it comes to lumber. Kiln dried or nothing in this case. I have seem straight PT turn into a corkscrew as it dried. Just my .02

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry but I am uptight when it comes to lumber. Kiln dried or nothing in this case. I have seem straight PT turn into a corkscrew as it dried. Just my .02
I will most likely go that route. I was just stunned to see those boards with no knots. With all the woodworking I do I always use kiln dried lumber. Normally straight grain wood has less movement. But wetter PT lumber is different.

The Budnick's

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's what I was thinking. The key is having everything ready. The thing I am still tossing around is should I use thru bolts or lags. Lags would be easier in order to have everything ready before hand and less to do on site. If I use thru bolts I will need to drill holes, mount boards and then fasten the carpet on site. Less work up front but more on site and a little more overall.
If you're confident in "measure twice and cut once" you can countersink some carriage bolts and cover the bunks with carpet and have everything ready. I did that and it worked out better than running a lag up through the bottom. I worried that the weight of the boat would compress the board at the bracket eventually and the lag bolt would maybe get into the gelcoat.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
IMHO. This task is so easy i would not risk any metal topside. That said i'm adding a washer bottom side to shorten the lag length (point) by "that much" more.

Ernie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you guys use glue on the carpet like one of the guys here and then staple it or just wrap it and staple it? Is it glued from the factory?

Thanks for any help getting ready to do mine.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just visited HD and saw 2 PT boards (1 2x12 and 1 2x6) with absolutely 0 knots and straight grain and straight. I can rip the 2x12 down. It was still slightly wet from treatment. My boat is stored outdoors so it is exposed to the weather. What do you guys think. Should I get them or go to the lumber yard?
When wood is pressure treated, all that chemical doesn't penetrate 100% into the wood. When PT wood is cut, a dry edge is exposed, and it will change the dynamic of the woods reaction to air and water. Thats not so bad when it is just cross cutting an end of a 2x6. But ripping a 2x12 will expose an entire edge, and that will induce water and air to a dry edge compared to the rest of the board, and the protection will not be the same there as the rest of the board. And my fear is that it will twist or warp more than the average PT board. I hate PT but it is a necessary evil. I don't know if I could find KD PT around here, but you never know. If it is available, it would be a better product for sure. But cost may be discouraging. The reason the trailer company doesn't use PT lumber is because of its propensity to twist and warp, not because they are cheap.

Ernie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man I have to tell you this is so frustrating to find the materials I need. I had to go to three different lumber yards plus big box stores just to find three decent 2x6x10 foot boards. Still ended up with PT #1 lumber because all of the number 2 rated boards had so many knots in them it was crazy. They did not even stock #1 rated unless it was PT. The only local Stainless steel staples were at HD 10mm x 3/8 because they are discontinuing them because of theft. At least HD had the stainless steel lag bolts and washers.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
man this is a simple task, I have changed my bucks 2 times in 11 years. Just buy pressure treated lumber as straight as you can get, i go to the carpet rack in lowes and have them cut me 3 strips of 12" marine carpet if they dont have I get rubber backed indoor /outdoor, stainless steel 1/2" staples, 1 1/4 galvanized lag bolts. i make up the boards then when i launch my boat at marina, i pull trailer over to grass and using my screw gun with a socket on it I change boards in about 20 min. This works just fine and there is no need to buy expensive bunk carpet. The only reason i am going on my third set is i am launching every weekend, takes its toll on any wood, especially salt water.