• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer trouble

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Trailered from Dallas to Nashville - No problems. Now my rear hubs are overheating. Found new bearing kits at autozone. Will try new bearings and fresh grease.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A stuck caliper caused heat in my hub. Replaced it and had no further issues It slung grease all over the rim when a bearing buddy bra slipped off with the heat.

AF228E32-E0DB-4AAC-BC92-461CD207C3BA.png

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
i came back from the bahamas to find a stuck brake had to remove it to trave to orlando, just ordered it, 2 of them 278 with shipping, brake parts are fro 1998 to 00 kia sephia

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Zipper - i also have a 2018 - Where did you get the caliper? Do you have to order it or can yiu get it at an auto parts store?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Zipper - i also have a 2018 - Where did you get the caliper? Do you have to order it or can yiu get it at an auto parts store?
Pretty sure I used Trailer parts superstore.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailered from Dallas to Nashville - No problems. Now my rear hubs are overheating. Replaced and repacked with fresh grease /new bearings but now I am thinking my brake actuator may not be fully releasing because both rear hubs seem to heating up exactly the same while the front hubs remain cool. If i spin the front wheels (no brakes) they spin freely but both rear wheels spin but stop very quickly when you stop spinning them.

Any thoughts?

Anyone know a good trailer shop around Nashville? I am having no luck via google.

Thanks
Sounds like the brakes may be dragging/stuck. Could also have the bearings one "click" too tight. Might try backing the castle nut off one flat and doing the spin test again.

Do you have an IR gun, or other temperature measurement device with you? Might be worth trying to continue on the journey if the spin test is OK.

What kind of tools do you have with you? Enough to lift the trailer, remove the wheel, and remove the caliper? If so, you can try to pull calipers and "unstick" them. Use a big C-Clamp to compress them back in at least so they stop making so much heat. This is assuming you've got a big tow vehicle that can handle the lack of braking on the trailer. It's not ideal, but might get you moving again.

I don't know of any trailer places in Nashville, but can think of a couple here in Louisville that might be able to help. I'm still another 2hrs north of you though.

MIght start with local Yamaha Dealer:

Anderson Marine

Last edited:

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. After the new bearings fresh grease the tires spin much better.

Last edited: