• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailering SX230 1500 or 2500?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Currently I am towing with a 2007 Sierra Denali. The 6.2 is around 420 tq and 415 hp.

I had planned to upgrade trucks at the end of the year to a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel but due to transmission bugs I may upgrade sooner.

Bimini was around a 2500 mile round trip. I towed over 2000 miles last summer. And I can't drive 55. I spend a lot of time at 75 and 10 mph.

I am debating the 1500 ecodiesel vs a 2500. What do you guys think?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 1500 with v8 Hemi. Highway towing is not an issue but if I had the money and was going to be towing long distance, the 2500 is a hands down winner. Of note, my truck is at 145000 miles with no issues in any component...knock on wood. Other than AC issues and common maintenance.

I'm not a fan of the first year issue on new mechanicals.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If costs (both initial and fuel) are of little consideration, the 3/4 ton diesel (assuming that the 3/4 ton you are looking at is also diesel) will perform much better. It is overkill, but will tow your boat great. The half ton truck will do just fine too though.

Either way, don't forget to hit that "tow/haul" button! (per my transmission shop owner friend)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis, I know the 3/4 tons are geared differently can I reasonably tow at 80?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a diesel one ton, made by Ford. I have used it to tow the boat a few times. I usually use my Expedition, which is the equivalent of a half ton. Same engine as the F150. With the one tone, it is like the boat is not even back there. With the Expedition, it does fine but you will know the boat is back there. With a 3/4 ton in your situation, not much will be different than with my one ton. You are discussing Dodge, which is different than what I have. But, I would say that you would have no issues with 80. Whether or not that is advisable is a different story.

@PEARCE tows his boat with a Dodge 3/4 ton. I bet he could be of assistance here.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tow a heavy ass X-Star with a GMC 3/4 ton gas. It can tow at 70, 75, and 80 with no issue so I think the diesel would do the same.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your trailer must be much better than mine! I can't imagine trying to pull that thing down the road at 80. Hopefully you have better than stock tires on it!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your trailer must be much better than mine! I can't imagine trying to pull that thing down the road at 80. Hopefully you have better than stock tires on it!
I have new tires on the trailer as well as well maintained brakes and bearings. I have upgraded brakes and engine breaking on my truck. Had no issues on the 2500 mile tow to Fort Lauderdale and back.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd try to test the EcoDiesel towing. I had a 2008 Mercedes ML320 with a 3.0 turbo Diesel engine and while it was rated at 7700lbs towing, it could not gain speed going up hills nor could you pass anything with it. The HP was only 215, the torque was 390 something. BUT the ML is much lighter than an EcoDiesel and had a 7 speed transmission, so +1 on weight, -1 on gearing. I'd really try to tow with it to see if it suits your needs. While the ML got good gas mileage, even when working hard, it was working harder than I thought it should have. It would hold speed well, but like I said, if you wanted to accelerate or pass something, it took a while.

Last August I purchased a F150 Ecoboost max tow, and other than the increased fuel consumption at higher speeds, you can go as fast as you wanted to go. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't get the Max Tow and just get a 3.55 rear end. The ecoboost makes power everywhere and gearing isn't that much of an issue. If you drive fast on the highway, the lower rear end will save you $$$ on fuel. It's my only regret. If Ford's Super Duty wasn't so dated looking in the bed / tail light area, I might have purchased a PowerStroke Diesel F250, but as it was, this is more than enough truck for me and the room in the back seat of the Super Crew F150 is insane!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Tundra tows very well. You can go any speed you want, just uses more fuel. I once did 160 kmh up a long 11% grade as a test towing the AR with power in reserve. I think a lot of the new trucks can do that. Cam.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My thoughts are if you are just towing the boat and not regularly towing a camper or something, a 2500 is overkill (if there is such a thing)
I have a 2009 crewcab silverado, with the 5.3, a 6 speed trans, and 3:42 rear end. I tow my 8000 lb travel trailer easily, even in the hills, now if I lived in the Rockies or something that would be different, but the south MO and NW AR mountains I don't have a problem.
Some people hear that 3:42 rear end and say "that ain't for towing" but if you figure out the ratios with the 6 speed the truck is actually lower geared than a 4 speed with 4:10 rear end.

Moral of my story is, I feel you would be completely satisfied with a 1/2 ton newer truck.

*Edited to add "NOT" before regularly*

Last edited:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I were towing that amount annually, I would opt for a 3/4 or full ton. 11/2 is fine for towing to and from the lake and the occasional longer trip. but knowing these are your typical travel patterns and driving style, I would want a truck designed to pull heavy loads with ease.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i've been towing my boats with Ram 2500 Cummins diesels exclusively for 15 years. Yes it is overkill for the size of boats I've had, but always did the job with little effort and not problems or worries.

HOWEVER, I am considering the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel for my next truck. I think it will tow this boat just fine and will be a softer ride when I'm not towing the boat.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My thoughts are if you are just towing the boat and not regularly towing a camper or something, a 2500 is overkill (if there is such a thing)
I have a 2009 crewcab silverado, with the 5.3, a 6 speed trans, and 3:42 rear end. I tow my 8000 lb travel trailer easily, even in the hills, now if I lived in the Rockies or something that would be different, but the south MO and NW AR mountains I don't have a problem.
Some people hear that 3:42 rear end and say "that ain't for towing" but if you figure out the ratios with the 6 speed the truck is actually lower geared than a 4 speed with 4:10 rear end.

Moral of my story is, I feel you would be completely satisfied with a 1/2 ton newer truck.

*Edited to add "NOT" before regularly*

x2.

I've been contemplating this same thing. I have a 1/2T silverado with a 5.3 and I'll hold 65mph going uphill at nearly any normal grade. I trailer between north and southeast utah and there's a lot of steep grade on my route. I do this 3-4 times a year, but otherwise I trailer my boat 25 miles to my local lake with minimal incline. I think I get pretty good economy, but parts of my 3-4 times a year route have 80MPH speed limits and I try to do 84MPH. Big mistake. @75MPH I get 9MPG. At 84 MPH I get 5-6MPG. A larger block (especially if it had a heavy diesel) would really help at those higher speeds, but at my age (which is abnormal because I'm only 30) I have no pride and feel fine letting people pass me in exchange for better economy so long as I'm not holding up traffic :).

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@maboat, my wife and I test drove a Ram 1500 and 2500 back to back yesterday. The difference in ride quality was huge. Both were 2014 models. The 1500 did not have air suspension.

The Ram 1500 was smoother than the GMC 1500 that I am driving now but not as smooth as the self leveling air suspensioned version I had driven previously. The 2500 was comparatively rough .

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce yep, the 2014 Ram 1500 is rated as the smoothest riding pickup truck ever. But the 2015 Ram 2500 will offer first-ever coil suspension on a 3/4 ton and that will smoothen up that ride too. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 which is much smoother and quieter than my 2006 Ram 2500 but the 1500 rides like a car. With the 1500 Diesel it should be the best of both --- ride like a car and pull like a truck. But that is just my hope. I haven't tried the 1500 Diesel yet...

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I'd consider the Ram 1500 with the diesel and the air ride suspension or the Ford Ecoboost for your needs. If you're thinking about getting a camper to accommodate your crew anytime soon then spring for the Ram 2500.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My one ton rides pretty well with the 5th wheel attached! Other than that, it is bumpy as heck!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce I'd consider the Ram 1500 with the diesel and the air ride suspension or the Ford Ecoboost for your needs. If you're thinking about getting a camper to accommodate your crew anytime soon then spring for the Ram 2500.
The Ford F150 EcoBoost is a GAS HOG when towing (or even just being playful with the go-pedal). I have no idea how they get away with putting "ECO" in that name.

The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel gets great fuel economy even when towing.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Ford F150 EcoBoost is a GAS HOG when towing (or even just being playful with the go-pedal). I have no idea how they get away with putting "ECO" in that name.

The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel gets great fuel economy even when towing.
Yes it is. My Max Tow averaged 10.5 - 11MPG from Cincinnati to Ft. Lauderdale and back. I was NOT driving under the speed limit. It likes gas, but man it has tons of power!