• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailering SX230 1500 or 2500?

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it is anything like the Mercedes 3.0 Diesel, they just use injection timing to quiet it. Same thing Ford does on the new powerstroke.
The Ram Cummins does the same thing. I've had nothing but Ram/Cummins trucks since they first put a Cummins diesel in a Ram. Each generation has been noticeably quieter than the last and the current gen is very quiet (for a diesel). As you said, they do it with timing and multiple injections per stroke. Pretty much all modern diesels do this now.

I don't think there are going to be big issues with a "first year" 1500 ecoDiesel. The 4th Gen Ram chassis and body have been around for over 4 years now and the VM Motori V6 diesel has been around for almost as long. They just haven't been together in the same vehicle until now.

I would have been more emotionally excited for the new smaller Cummins engine, but that will be a "first year" engine and likely to have some early growing pains for Nissan. The Italian V6 diesel is already established with a good reputation so far. I'm not ready for a new truck just yet (I have a 2011 Ram/Cummins) but I'm pretty sure my next truck will be a "5th gen" Ram 1500 ecoDiesel

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know this is an older thread, but thought I may add a bit of experience... I picked up a Dodge Ram Ecodiesel 1500 one week ago and have since towed my 212X twice with it. My previous tow rig was (and still is) a 2009 Suburban that I still own. As much as I love my suburban, I can tell you that after one week, if Dodge made a suburban-like vehicle on the ram 1500 frame I would go buy it this week. This truck is absolutely awesome and the first Ram truck I have owned (and I have zero affiliation with Dodge). I had a buddy that bought a Ram Sport earlier in the year with the hemi and I knew he liked it alot. I almost pulled the trigger on a Ram Laramie with the Hemi until I started reading more and more about the ecodiesel. I figured the engine/powertrain has a 100K mile warranty so there really isn't much risk and the mpg is unreal. In regular city/hwy (50/50) driving we have seen about 25 mpg. Towing I am getting around 15 mpg but that is up from about 10mpg with the suburban. Beyond the fuel savings though, the torque for towing is incredible. It almost doesn't even feel like the boat is behind the truck, yet with the Suburban it was always hunting and shifting and you could feel the engine laboring. Since I know that Derick @jetboater4life seems to have a similar garage to mine, I can only hope it is a matter of time before he returns home with an Ecodiesel as well.

Anyway, I won't pretend to know everything about the truck yet at this point, but will be happy to field any questions for someone considering the EcoDiesel as an option.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does it sound like a diesel? I know Dodge went through a lot of trouble to quiet this motor.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It certainly does not sound like a Hemi, so I guess being technical it does sound like a diesel. If you weren't thinking about it though, you probably wouldn't notice. It is very quiet outside the cabin and inside the cabin I don't know if I can recall hearing it at all.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jump Right In
You are correct, I am beginning my multi year search for the replacement of our beloved 2002 Yukon XL. I'm on the thrifty side of things so I'll be buying used. We've owned this Yukon XL for 10 years and 100000 miles. No repairs except for a new catalytic converter and a wheel bearing. We love everything about it except the gas mileage. The wife definitely wants another one. Based on your recommendation I'll check out the ecodeisel.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 . Plenty of power and tons of room inside. Pulls my AR230 no problem. I wouldn't hesitate to go across the country towing with it.

Unless you really need a diesel to pull something heavy, I wouldn't get into the increased cost and maintenance costs. The better mileage doesn't usually make up the difference.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do these smaller diesels really have higher maintenance costs? VW has small diesels in their new cars and I haven't heard anything negative in regards to maintenance.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you really need a diesel to pull something heavy, I wouldn't get into the increased cost and maintenance costs.
I have no idea where this ugly rumor of higher diesel maintenance cost comes from. Modern diesels have very little maintenance. Oil changes last twice as long as a gasser, and the only other maintenance item is filters which also have very long service lives.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do these smaller diesels really have higher maintenance costs? VW has small diesels in their new cars and I haven't heard anything negative in regards to maintenance.
We looked at buying a Jetta TDI a few years ago and in doing so researched maintenance cost. We changed our minds in getting one real quick. Now we were looking at used units that had a far amount of miles and they weren't going to be worth the headache and aggravation. We didn't want to pay the price of a new one.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyway, I won't pretend to know everything about the truck yet at this point, but will be happy to field any questions for someone considering the EcoDiesel as an option.
I'm eager to here more reviews after you've used it a while. I'm also curious about the other options like air-suspension and the active grill shutters. Did you get either of those?

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I certainly would be curious of the increased maintenance as well as I thought I had researched it quite thoroughly. Apart from adding the DEF (Diesel exhaust fluid) every 10,000 miles as per emissions law, I really haven't seen anything that would appear to be an increased maintenance item over its gas siblings. I would guess my fuel savings will be around $1,000 per year on 15-18K miles.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did not get air suspension. There was some REALLY good lease offers on for August and it came to the point where there was just NO inventory anywhere, so ultimately I picked the truck as close to my ideal vehicle. There were literally seven trucks left in Michigan when my dealer ran his search (and I also went on everyones website within 200 miles) so I can tell you it was pretty legit. If it treats me well during the 36 month lease, I will seriously consider buying it out at the end. However, by that time I also believe there will be a lot more diesel options available in the US as auto mfgs have to do something to meet the CAFE standards and diesels are a whole lot cheaper way of doing it than developing new battery and hybrid technologies.

Mine is pretty well loaded but missing the front and rear assist (very dumb that this isn't standard), air suspension, running boards and sunroof. Payload is the only real concern with the truck where RAM is taking a hit, but also, industry seems to agree they may be the only mfg who is quoting the truth based on a fully loaded truck. There are definitely "diesel haters" in America, and maybe some are warranted if they had an experience 15-20 years ago. However, as the general public is learning, the diesel engine is a better option and if mfgs can find a way to put them in vehicles without charging a premium for them (they need the volumes), then I believe there will start to be a culture shift. As I noted in my original post, if there was a full size SUV with a diesel (and yes, I know the Q7 exists) I would seriously consider it tomorrow. As GM continues to develop the 2.8L Duramax that will be in the Canyon next year... I would be very surprised if you don't see it in the Acadia/Traverse platform the next year and possibly also the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban chasis. Anyway, just my $0.03 worth.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah there are very hard to find. Demand is high. How about some pics? We love pics :winkingthumbsup"

Does it have the active grill shutters? I don't know if that is offered with the ecodiesel or not but it should because active shutters are very eco-ish :cool:

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't answer the active grill shutters, but I never saw that as an option which leads to wonder if it was part of the standard RAM design. I have actually debadged the one side of it (removed the RAM 1500), as it is rather large and obnoxious... just making sure I like it before removing the second side. Trying to find the best nerf bars and tonneau cover to own now. The original one I tried to buy and had a deal all worked out on, when the sales rep went to have the paperwork printed out he learned that his manager had sold it to a guy in Florida the day before and took a sizeable downpayment over the phone. That is correct, I am in Michigan and someone was having it shipped (or flying to get it) 1,200 miles... so that probably says something about the demand! It was white and featured exactly how I wanted it, but oh well. Me and the black sheep are getting along just fine at this point! Pic is attached.

Attachments

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice! I've yet to see a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel on the road. I'm always on the lookout for them though. Like maboat, I have a Ram HD with the Cummins. I may have seen three of the Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel badge. Same powertrain as the truck. We're wanting a capable SUV to tow the boat with and that would also serve as a daily driver for my wife all while getting good mileage. The diesel Jeep fits that bill pretty good.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does it sound like a diesel? I know Dodge went through a lot of trouble to quiet this motor.
I have test driven one and it does not sound like a traditional diesel. It is very quiet.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have no idea where this ugly rumor of higher diesel maintenance cost comes from. Modern diesels have very little maintenance. Oil changes last twice as long as a gasser, and the only other maintenance item is filters which also have very long service lives.
No exhaust fluid required on that diesel? And if not, my understanding is you better open it up on the highway to burn off the carbon tank. Also, the thought of a 6,000.00+ injector pump is a little scary.

How many quarts is an oil change....10, 12?

not to mention the 5-8K premium you pay for the initial cost to buy the diesel over the gas. You don't recover those costs unless you tow heavy a LOT to save gas mileage.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02/gas-versus-diesel-do-the-math-first.html

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have test driven one and it does not sound like a traditional diesel. It is very quiet.
Part of that is because of the super high injection pressures they went to ...making that system even more expensive/scary to own.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the ML320 CDI Mercedes diesel. I only had one incident that scared me cost wise, and it was when I was trading it in at 88K miles. The temperature sensor for the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) went out and when they tried to replace it they broke the DPF's temperature sensor port requiring them to replace the DPF , in total it would have cost me somewhere around $3800 to repair (if they would have charged me for the DPF they broke, which, let's be honest, had I not been under extended warranty, likely would have happened as I would have had no idea). That's a lot of coin for a DPF and a sensor! Now, discount that by half since it is a Mercedes, but still, just something to think about. I don't know how much the VM Motori parts cost.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No exhaust fluid required on that diesel? And if not, my understanding is you better open it up on the highway to burn off the carbon tank. Also, the thought of a 6,000.00+ injector pump is a little scary.

How many quarts is an oil change....10, 12?

not to mention the 5-8K premium you pay for the initial cost to buy the diesel over the gas. You don't recover those costs unless you tow heavy a LOT to save gas mileage.
The Mercedes took 9 quarts of special very expensive Mobil 1 made just for Mercedes Diesels.