• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Diesel to Gas? Should I do it?

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm torn with a choice to keep my current Ram 2500 Cummins, or to trade it in for a gasser.

Notes: I have owed many makes and models. Got rid of a 2015 Chevy 1500 Highcountry for current 2017 Ram 2500.

I really like the redesigns of the new Ram 1500 and GMC Sierra Denali.

My truck only has 19K miles on it. I do all the maintenance on it myself, so cost on ownership is not a concern switching. I will still do it on my next ride, whatever it may be.

I drive about 8 miles to work and pretty much it is our weekend vehicle, just because I like to drive all the time. (Insert women driver comments here)

I tell myself, it's always better to have it and need it, than need it and not have it. That's why I stepped up to a 2500 diesel. We had planned on buying a camper this year before the boat purchase. We were going to keep our other boat but decided to sell it and buy a new boat. There is nothing like that diesel pulling and turbo whistling, not to mention the exhaust brake.

I live less than 10 miles from the lake I frequent most, and only have to travel 20-30 miles if I want to hit other lakes. Pulling with the Hemi or 6.2L in the GMC wouldn't be an issue either way.

If you were me, and could save some coin, would you swap to a gasser and have no regrets? I am trying hard to convince myself to stay where I'm at, but I'm having a hard time. Will I miss the diesel when it is gone?

Anyone have a Ram 1500 with air suspension? How is the ride loaded and unloaded?

Just looking opinions!

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My 2017 is paid off and I struggle not trading it in for a new ram. They are so nice

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the current truck deleted or do you plan to delete it? Long term durability with all the diesel emission crap is a big factor.. And for your relatively short distances, a gas truck would have no issue doing the job... Maybe compromise if you are a big diesel guy and do an Ecodiesel? I feel your pain, I had a 2008 cummins 2500 with some mods and traded it back into a gas truck to be more practical. Now, I'm kinda looking to get back into an older 2nd gen if I can find the right truck.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I sold my 7.3l F-350 for a Chevy Tahoe when my daughter was born and man do I miss it!

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is the current truck deleted or do you plan to delete it? Long term durability with all the diesel emission crap is a big factor.. And for your relatively short distances, a gas truck would have no issue doing the job... Maybe compromise if you are a big diesel guy and do an Ecodiesel? I feel your pain, I had a 2008 cummins 2500 with some mods and traded it back into a gas truck to be more practical. Now, I'm kinda looking to get back into an older 2nd gen if I can find the right truck.
Not deleted, but would love to. I purchased an extended warranty I wish I would have not.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the objective? Save money on payment? Save money on Fuel? Just got the itch to get something new? Is the 2500 to big to park/handle/etc in normal usage? Ride too rough?

For me........keep the 2500 unless you're just wanting something new. I get that happens from time to time. Finances and logic not withstanding.

A few points to consider:

You'll rarely "save" money on a vehicle change. Only in somewhat extreme circumstances (I traded an '03 Yukon for a '12 Focus once) will you find your payment and fuel bill to drop. SO in this case, I would say it's a near wash on money. Even if you take payment (maybe yours is paid off) off the table, fuel and maintenance costs will be similar IMO, at least not enough of a drop to warrant the move. Also, Diesel prices tend to be more stable than gas. So while you might not be out and out less expensive than gas (especially 93 for that 6.2L Denali), you'l certainly have a more predictable price.

Moving to a 1500 class pickup will limit your camper choices down the road. Payload, Tongue Weight, GVWR, and more will go down. So, you'll lose some capability, and with it the flexibility if/when you go to get that camper.

The 1500's I've found are a little easier to park, ride a little better, and are easier to fit in parking garages (on height). They have an arguably larger market for resale as well.

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What is the objective? Save money on payment? Save money on Fuel? Just got the itch to get something new? Is the 2500 to big to park/handle/etc in normal usage? Ride too rough?

After riding in a 1500 loaner when my truck was at the dealer for some recalls...It was the ride that got me.

Granted, yes, I can make the ride better with some modifications.

Even though I get tons of compliments on my current truck, I get bored with vehicles so quickly. (wife hates me for this)

That shift knob on the Ram 1500....That is one of my big deterrents lol. Please bring the column shifter back!

Another deterrent is the ride height. I feel like I'm in a minivan in a 1500, Small lift and tires, fixt!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
^^^ I agree 100% with @2kwik4u

Our stable of trucks goes from good to great.

We have an 06 F-150 2WD with a 5.4. It pulls the boat just fine. We used to have a 32 ft Travel trailer and it pulled it twice with that truck before we upgraded to a 08 6.4 Diesel F-250. It was a scary ride pulling the camper. too much suspension flex.

We then upgraded our Camper to a 45ft fifth wheel, we were building a house and had to live in it for 9 months. Very much worth it, but again....... had to upgrade trucks. It was just too much for the 08 F-250. Now we have a 2008 3500HD duramax dually. This thing is deleted and has a mild tune ( 40 horse or so extra) Defiantly not too much for the trans to handle and it pulls the camper great. Pulling the boat.......What boat....I know people say it and I usually don't believe it but you really can't even tell it is behind the truck.

Here recently we just upgraded the wifes vechicle to a 2012 Escalade EXT with the 6.2. It has plently of power to pull the boat but man it likes gas. I would much rather pull with the ford but it fits all of our gear without fear of huge rain storms.

If I were in your shoes I would just keep the truck. 19k is a brand new truck. Heck all of my vechicles have over 150K on them.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After riding in a 1500 loaner when my truck was at the dealer for some recalls...It was the ride that got me.

Granted, yes, I can make the ride better with some modifications.

Even though I get tons of compliments on my current truck, I get bored with vehicles so quickly. (wife hates me for this)

That shift knob on the Ram 1500....That is one of my big deterrents lol. Please bring the column shifter back!

Another deterrent is the ride height. I feel like I'm in a minivan in a 1500, Small lift and tires, fixt!
Neighbor traded his 2500 Silverado for a 1500 Silverado this year. He's a construction foreman (with a very generous truck allowance) and actually USED the capacity on his truck a few times a month. He got his boss to OK shipping equipment instead of towing it himself, and traded the 2500 away. I asked why........The ride. He was tired of the terrible ride in the 2500.

Also, I 110% agree that column shifters are the way to go. I despise console shifters like none other. The "knob" on some of the FCA vehicles is a fair compromise. I just want that console space for "stuff", not something I'm going to touch twice a drive on average.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new ram 1500 is growing on me from a looks and features perspective but I'm still hating the rotary shifter idea. I'm debating on a ram possibly when my ecoboost F150 lease is finished in another year and a half. Ride comfort is a big change between the larger and smaller class pickups and the new 1/2 tons seem to have good power and abilities.

Chris2174

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Personally, I am looking to go the other way... I just got done towing our 242x from Spokane, WA to Sandpoint, ID with our '14 Silverado 5.3L. The truck could do it OK, but it really struggled on the hills. I averaged the expected 9-10mpg to get there and back, but a 3 hour drive sucked up well over half a tank of gas on the truck. I think our elevation at 2000ft has a small factor (loss of 6% HP) but the hills killed me.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Personally, I am looking to go the other way... I just got done towing our 242x from Spokane, WA to Sandpoint, ID with our '14 Silverado 5.3L. The truck could do it OK, but it really struggled on the hills. I averaged the expected 9-10mpg to get there and back, but a 3 hour drive sucked up well over half a tank of gas on the truck. I think our elevation at 2000ft has a small factor (loss of 6% HP) but the hills killed me.
The real question you have to ask yourself is how often will you tow it like that? If you are making that trip multiple times a month, then yes, a better tow rig makes sense. If I was doing it like once a summer, then I would never give up the great gas mileage and ride quality for those few times I tow distance or through elevation. Only you can answer that question honestly.

I personally know mine can tow distance for the rare time I do it. But as a daily driver, I like the fact that I put on 200 miles of mixed driving this weekend and averaged 22mpg in a truck that rides better than most cars. My personal decision is easy.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
New 8 and 10 speeds in the Gas HD”s...
Makes me want to get back into a Megacab 6.4.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used to air down the tires of my Chevy 2500hd with the Duramax when it was not towing it would smooth out the ride a bit. I did like that driving a tank feeling you could run over little cars and stuff. But 90 percent of my driving is alone in it and not towing so went to 1500 series. Thinking of going back it just comes down to what you want. I put 40k a year on in mileage, if I drove like you I would lease and get a new truck every 2 years. You qualify for the ultra low mileage lease that the offer on TV that 99 percent of people do not qualify for.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For the last 15 years I have been a diesel truck guy. First with a '90 F-450 w/ 7.3l normally aspirated. Used it mostly for farm work, had a 400gal. milk bulk tank on the flat bed I would haul milk with. I also used it to pull/stop a 20' loaded hay wagon weighing 10k+#'s w/ no brakes. It was not fast, 60mph max on the road, but it always got the job done. Then about 8 years ago we bought an '06 2500 Silverado Duramax w/ the LLY. It pulls the loaded wagons better up the hill. Pulls the boat like it is not there. Transmission shifts are very smooth, unlike the transmission in my wifes '11 5.3l Silverado, that she traded. Would love to buy a newer diesel truck but the prices are so out of my range now that we bought and refit the Beneteau. I hold onto that truck because the powertrain has been rock solid. And why get rid of a diesel with only 165k miles on it. I keep repairing other parts of the truck, mostly suspension and rusted body parts, due to the salt brine used on the roads in winter. I also put a salt sander in the bed which is why I built an Oak flatbed to replace the rusted out steel bed. Cost me $100 in hardware and a little time on my sawmill. She aint pretty, but she does what I ask. No problems with an outboard motor clamped to the ladder rack and a dinghy or salt sander in the bed, towing the hay wagons or the boat. Time for some new E-load Cooper Discoverer M/S tires. As said above, stick with the diesel.

20190918_074430.jpg

20190128_104954.jpg

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really want to say to keep the diesel, but your short commute and small and short towing habits will eventually give your truck issues. Mainly emissions equipment related. If you were to delete the truck then it won't matter, but then that voids all warranties and you won't be able to trade it until the deletes are reversed. Me personally will never go back to a gas truck as a main towing vehicle. Especially if there's a camper involved. Half ton gassers are fine for most trailer boats, especially our Yamahas.

@919Cummins The GMC 6.2 requires premium fuel correct? I don't know about where you live, but where I'm at premium is usually more then diesel. There was even a few times this summer that diesel was cheaper then regular. Oh and that 6.2 will be thirsty too! The Hemi will certainly get you better mileage. A friend of mine has a '16 1500 4x4 w/ the Hemi and the air suspension and he gets better then 20mpg on the highway. Food for thought.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 6.2 engine, is tuned for, and runs best on 87 just like the 5.3.

The crate 6.2 shows that it's a premium fuel engine only, so that's an odd contradiction.
6.2L L86 V-8 Engine

Mileage of the latest version in the 2019 models has been excellent. But, the power on tap does change folks driving habits. One friend with a 2019 Denali 6.2 was reporting as good as 22mpg average, not instantaneous. Another buddy just bought a Chevy High Country with 6.2 and was getting poor mileage during break in. But break in was not the lightest foot driving. He is now averaging 20 with mixed highway and commuting.

So no, it can be a guzzler if you drive it hard, but unlike a Turbo, will not lose mileage as poorly as an Ecoboost that is driven hard. They really reflect how hard the pedal is mashed. But so much fun! A good friend has had 3 F150's with Ecoboost. And both sizes of Ecoboost. He has a heavy foot, and it shows. But really does well when a person keeps their right foot in check.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I only miss my 2011 Audi Diesel when I'm towing to Florida (or any long distances)...the gas Audi is a gas guzzler when towing (ok...when driving anywhere LOL). But I do enjoy the acceleration/responsiveness of the supercharger and all the fun tech in the new one (Android auto is nice)... I'd still be driving the Diesel if they didn't offer to pay me so much to turn it in (Diesel cheater). Tough choice...but I'd probably stick with the car you have until it is at least 6-10 years of use....

Last edited: