• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailering SX230 1500 or 2500?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the new Eco diesel Rams on the lot yet? I looked online at inventory around here and didn't see any.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are the new Eco diesel Rams on the lot yet? I looked online at inventory around here and didn't see any.
They sold out their first allotment of 8000 units. They are averaging something like 19 days on the lot. I'm just warning you guys, low HP diesel is different than gas towing. Make sure you test it towing!!! It may or may not suit your driving style. Not sure if that is even possible to test drive and tow!! Also keep an eye out here as well: http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/07/test-your-2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-on-ike-gauntlet-with-us-towing/ they will be towing their Ike Gauntlet test with the Ram Diesel if they can find one!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm just warning you guys, low HP diesel is different than gas towing.
Low HP diesel? Who cares about Horsepower when towing? Towing is all about TORQUE. Good solid low-end grunt, not revved-up gas-guzzling horsepower. :eek:

The Ford EcoBoost has 278 lbs-ft of torque while the Ram EcoDiesel has 420 lbs-ft of torque. That means the "light duty" diesel has 50% more torque with 50% better fuel economy than the "eco" boost. If you like how the EcoBoost feels when towing, then I bet you'll love how the EcoDiesel feels when towing. :D

That is just my humble opinion since I haven't been able to test drive one. The problem is, as you say, finding one to test drive (any you find are already sold) :banghead:

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Low HP diesel? Who cares about Horsepower when towing? Towing is all about TORQUE. Good solid low-end grunt, not revved-up strung out, gas-guzzling horsepower.

The Ford EcoBoost has 278 lbs-ft of torque while the Ram EcoDiesel has 420 lbs-ft of torque. Thats 50% more torque with 50% better fuel economy. If you like how the EcoBoost feels when towing, then I bet you'll love how the EcoDiesel feels when towing.

That is just my humble opinion since I haven't been able to test drive one. The problem is, as you say, finding one to test drive (any you find are already sold)
I agree, but the eco boost is 420 ft. lbs as well :p Definitely not the same MPG, but more power and same torque over more rpm.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, but the eco boost is 420 ft. lbs as well :p Definitely not the same MPG, but more power and same torque over more rpm.
I stand corrected. :sorry: Hmmm google let me down. Go figure... :confused:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once you tow with a diesel you will never want to go back to a gasser for anything other than a car. When I'm towing our 5th wheel I don't go any faster then 65 because of the weight and the trailer tire speed rating. It's not that I can't go faster, it's just not a safe idea and it really hurts the fuel economy. When towing at 65 with 10k of trailer on my tail I'm only turning 1600 rpm. Towing the boat I'll do 70-75 if the conditions are right. I have high speed rated trailer radials on the boat trailer so I can drag it around as fast as I wish.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Once you tow with a diesel you will never want to go back to a gasser for anything other than a car. When I'm towing our 5th wheel I don't go any faster then 65 because of the weight and the trailer tire speed rating. It's not that I can't go faster, it's just not a safe idea and it really hurts the fuel economy. When towing at 65 with 10k of trailer on my tail I'm only turning 1600 rpm. Towing the boat I'll do 70-75 if the conditions are right. I have high speed rated trailer radials on the boat trailer so I can drag it around as fast as I wish.
I would agree with that, I just don't think 240HP is enough based on my experience with a much lighter vehicle with 215HP, again, it will keep speed and get good mpg, but the HP matters when passing. I hope I'm wrong, would love to have a diesel again!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce would you please just hurry up and get the 1500 EcoDiesel so we all can get some good intel on this elusive beast! ;)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was able to test drive a 2WD Laramie EcoDiesel about a month ago. The acceleration was closer to that of the Hemi than to the Cummins 2500. The throttle needed to be pressed further before I felt it but once the torque kicked in it was fun to drive. On my test drive I drove 7 miles on the city bypass and averaged 28 mpg at 70 to 80 mph then I drove 7.5 miles back via curvy and hilly roads averaging 25 mpg. I was driving my normal style and not trying to conserve fuel. So I was impressed with the fuel efficiency of the EcoDiesel.

My current daily driver is a Sierra Denali with a 6.2. It has 403 HP and 417 TQ. I average about 14 mpg with it and 10 towing. The EcoDiesel was not as quick but was still fun to drive.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you are starting to convince me to get an Eco Diesel even if its the first year out. With mileage like that, its a winner. I just need to get over the $4000 price of the motor upgrade.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a tow test with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same engine / trans and much less weight. They will gear the Ram rear differently I bet but probably similar results in the Ram.

EcoDiesel

For comparison: F-150, Ram Hemi / Toyota 5.7 test with same boat:

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh cool! They tested with the boat up the Ike Gauntlet!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The stats are impressive but I'm still uneasy about the Italian motor and how much of a track record they have with a similar motor.

Why is the motor noise being muffled so much? They are wrapping parts of the motor with rubber pads. What is Ram covering up? Does it sound like a VW bug?

I'm a die hard Dodge guy but this new motor still has me on the fence.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The stats are impressive but I'm still uneasy about the Italian motor and how much of a track record they have with a similar motor.

Why is the motor noise being muffled so much? They are wrapping parts of the motor with rubber pads. What is Ram covering up? Does it sound like a VW bug?

I'm a die hard Dodge guy but this new motor still has me on the fence.
If it is anything like the Mercedes 3.0 Diesel, they just use injection timing to quiet it. Same thing Ford does on the new powerstroke.

It's a nice looking truck! I think they screwed up not grabbing the 5.0 Cummins V8 that Nissan picked up though. 300HP and 500Lb ft are more like it! :devilhorns:

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an 07 dodge ram w/ hemi, all stock motor. I tow my 2011 AR210 every year for a 4-6 hour drive up I 5 to lake Shasta. I'm fully loaded with camping and boating gear for a family of 4. I love my dodge but I should have got the 2500 desiel. You can never have too much truck! Now my 14 year old son can't wait for me to upgrade.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So..... I just checked my local Ram dealer for Eco Diesel trucks in stock. They have quite a few but none in the Lariet or leather trimmed out SLT. Bummer! Seems like they are dropping the motors in the lower lines of Ram. I guess I will need to custom order if I enjoy my test drive.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2008 Durango has the 350 Hemi and tow package. Rated to tow 9,000 lbs, I believe. Huge amount of torque and plenty of hp for uphill acceleration while towing my SX230.

However - it is a Dodge. Hemi is anything but smooth. At exactly 5 years of service and 92,000 miles it developed that typical "Hemi lifter" sound that is most evident on the warmup cam. Body rust through within a few weeks of that.

It is still chugging along, but it is my third -and last - Dodge. They aren't built to last.

Will likely try a Ford next time.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ram sent out around 8,000 ecodiesels specced by the factory before accepting orders. It is weird how they were distributed. Searching nationally I have seen a few really nice ones available. I am really hoping that they will bump the payload specs for 2015.