• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk me out of (or into) trading my 2015 Sierra for a 2020 Durango

Trade or keep the Sierra

• Total voters

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll be interested when (because we all know if the wife likes it it’s a done deal lol) you get the Q7 how well it pulls something, and the longevity of the suspension since I assume it’s not a body on frame suv.. Either way the towing capacity for the Audi is impressive! The only other vehicle you could look into would be the Infiniti QX80 SUVs.. Best of luck though, keep us updated!
Oh, I'll be sure to report back. @Julian and @swatski are both members (I know there are others as well that I can't think of off hand) that have expressed a love for the Q7 platform. Lots of reports of great success with the platform.

My biggest concern with towing on a Unibody platform is the "thunk" from the draw bar within the hitch receiver. It was god awful on my wifes traverse, and if it does it on the Q7 we'll have to find a solution for that for certain. I think the structural integrity isn't the issue it once was.

Interestingly enough to Q7 owners manual says to NOT use a Weight Distributing Hitch. That sounds odd to me, and I have to research some more, but I'm almost certain it has to do with the loading dynamics on the hitch into the unibody structure.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless you are sure there is damage on the electronics I would not change the Sierra.

“Doubling the term” to keep the same payments is a bad financial decision. In my book you are itching for a new vehicle and finding excuses.

I will also like to make a comment about your wife. You implied that she agreed the truck had to go. If your wife if like mine who is willing to follow me to pits of Hades, she will be easily convinced. Trust me I know because we got MINI for my “wife”. We also got the boat to make my “wife” happy.

At the end of the day the responsibility of that decision is yours alone to bear. If you want a new truck and car afford it then go it, if you think your are pushing it then stick to your perfectly working truck.

As a final note I will the following. When I find myself in situations which I am having a hard time being objective I will to pretend that I am giving advice to a friend who would be on my shoes. Thinking of my self as if I was given an advise it has saved me from multiple impulsive decisions ...

Hope all works well for yall

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian You're not wrong. There is a part of me that just wants something new. There is legitimately a part of me that doesn't want to dump the Sierra either. Some of the excuses are possibly nothing at all based on probabilities, not on things actually showing signs of failing. I have some expressed concerns of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire by trading a known set of issues with the Sierra on an unknown set of issues with something else. I really do like the truck, and hate to see it go.

My wife is more like a "restraint device" than a follow along. She tempers my enthusiasm in most all financial matters. The burden of proof is 99% of the time on me, and often doesn't pass muster. I've been "pushing" for a new boat for a few years, and I'm fairly certain if I mention it again this season I'm gonna catch a right hook :D

Thanks for the warm wishes!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be honest, I would’ve preferred the Q7 over the Durango RT, but price was something we just couldn’t quite justify. She wanted something no more than a few years old, so we wouldn’t be back in the vehicle market too soon, and the Q7 was about $5k more than we were willing to justify. She’s a Chevy fan, and likes to poke fun of “rusty Dodges”, so it took awhile for her to come around, but for our purposes, we both agreed that it came down to the Durango or Q7, and she loves her ‘Rango. One thing I’ll mention, we got the bench seat second row, and wish now it was captains chairs. We had twins a couple months ago, and realize that the third row is basically inaccessible with the car seat bases in there, as you can’t fold the seats with them attached. Fortunately, these are our only kids at the moment, so that’ll be a problem to solve another day, if we have more. Best of luck with your decision, and I hope you love your Q7 if you land on it!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Honestly man, if you just want something new and nice, and you can afford it with no issues, go for it. You can live in a bubble and save your pennies for someone else to inherit, Or you can find a happy medium and buy things you want. You can spin the argument in either direction for your wife. I will assume a new truck will push new boat plans back a bit though.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Little update on this thread.

Wife and I had a good conversation about the cars, where we're headed, and what our next 5-10 years look like in terms of activities, boat, camper, travel, etc. Sierra has to go in exchange for an SUV with 3 rows. We don't use the truck bed often enough, and would use the 3rd row enough to warrant the change on that alone. There are some other complicating factors I won't go into, but the overall decision to move on was made.

SO, I got to work and I spent the better part of 3 days negotiating over this Durango R/T (Click me). It had EXACTLY the options I wanted in the color I wanted, but we couldn't find a middle ground on price. Started $5k off on the deal and landed about $2k difference between us, then the salesman started to be a dick after that, so I said the hell with it and moved on. Shame really, we were so close and that is somewhat of a unicorn of a Durango.
View attachment 144260

Good friend sent me a link to this Audi Q7 (Click me). It's a shade more dollars (~$5k) and only 1k more miles, but has the right features and specs for me. I've owned an Audi before and was generally pleased with the vehicle overall. It was an '06 model though, and didn't have as many bells and whistles as this one. Sent the sales team there a message, and they're already SOOOO much more pleasant to deal with. Trade was "blind appraised" about $1,500 higher than the Kia store in NC, and we're close on numbers already. Going to counter on Monday I think, and I bet we get a deal. We're only about $2k apart from where I think we should be right from the start on this one. Wife likes the Q7 better than the Durango as well, so that helps grease the wheels a little bit. Q7's has a couple features the R/T doesn't, and I think she just generally likes the look better. Q7 has a little better unladen fuel economy, and I personally LOVE the lack of permanent center stack screen (I'm sure some of you have read my rants on that :D). Obviously the white/black combo is a common theme for me. Just looks really sharp I think. Nice and clean. Plus it's gonna look amazing towing a white/black AR190 around :D
View attachment 144261

Doing research between the two and found some interesting things. The Q7 is actually faster to 60 and to 1/4 than the R/T. I was somewhat surprised by that considering the Q7 is relatively down on power and high on weight compared to the R/T. Best I can figure is better trans tuning, and a flatter torque curve in the Audi. Also found this thread started be @dgfreeze where he was contemplating the same two vehicles. He landed on Durango, looks like I might land on the Q7. Interesting that these two floated to the top in my searching as well.

I'm still open to other options even if I'm pretty far down this path. Here's some details on what I have in mind.

"Must Haves"
Tow rating/GCVWR/Tow Package to support 212X + 6 passengers + gear. (we want to upgrade boats when possible without upgrading TV at that time)
Sunroof
Adaptive Cruise
AWD
$45k price cap
3rd row seating (doesn't have to hold an adult, just kids)

Strong preference:
2nd row bench seat
White/Black trim

I've ruled out these:
Explorer ST (hate the ipad dash)
Explorer Sport (Not a fan of the Ford Interior)
GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe (too expensive unless mileage is excessive)
Expedition (interior isn't for me)
Lexus GX series (too costly)
Nissan Armada (Just generally not a fan, no real concrete reason)
Mercedes anything (hate the interior)
BMW X5 (too expensive when I searched briefly, might circle back here)

I'm open to other thoughts.
The only other vehicle that would fit into your list is the Sequoia, or Land Cruiser. I think there's a 3 rownRange/Land Rover too... But that's more of a gamble than an audi on reliability.

I'm just going to drop this video below. There's plenty of low mile of these that look, sound, and drive amazingly well... Plus they're going to hold value like crazy if other srt SUVs are any indicator. Or well, American muscle SUVs in general.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
SO, I got to work and I spent the better part of 3 days negotiating over this Durango R/T (Click me). It had EXACTLY the options I wanted in the color I wanted, but we couldn't find a middle ground on price. Started $5k off on the deal and landed about $2k difference between us, then the salesman started to be a dick after that, so I said the hell with it and moved on. Shame really, we were so close and that is somewhat of a unicorn of a Durango.
Anytime I've dealt with a dickhead salesman I just escalate it to the GM or Sales Manager. Be polite, but firm. It helps if you can find a comparable unit at the price you want to pay and pull it up on your phone (don't worry about exact 1:1 options/color match). Just be like "Listen, I'd like to buy this vehicle today, here's what it's worth to me. Your competition down the road has what I want, I don't want to buy from them, but I'll drive to save a few thousand dollars, you get that right? So do you guys want to make a sale today or not?"

Most of the time they'll take the deal. I've had a few holdouts, but it never hurts to ask.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@BlkGS Your timing is great.

Just sent the deposit on the Q7. Going up to Indy Thursday afternoon to pick it up.
Those Audi's take premium fuel - hopefully that was considered! With gas going UP, you could use that as negotiation on the price if you're willing to pay for it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those Audi's take premium fuel - hopefully that was considered! With gas going UP, you could use that as negotiation on the price if you're willing to pay for it.
Gas cost will go down a shade (I already run premium in the Sierra due to the tune) Q7 gets 21mpg-ish, Sierra gets 16mpg-ish as an average. Insurance quote came back $74/mo less expensive on the Audi as well. I verified the VIN and coverage twice. Doesn't make much sense, but is what it is, I'll take it.

Dealer got me a 3.9% interest rate. Took a longer term with the intention of "rounding up" the payment to the next nearest hundred and paying this one off earlier. Hopefully make that a habit and be part of the cycling breaking I talked about above.

Gonna miss the Sierra in some aspects I'm sure. I also suspect the Audi will become the wifes car and I'll start commuting in her Rogue. We'll see how that works out though :D

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS Your timing is great.

Just sent the deposit on the Q7. Going up to Indy Thursday afternoon to pick it up.
Congrats! It's a very nice vehicle, I don't blame you at all. Definitely a bit more premium than the Durango, probably too nice for someone like me, haha.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats! It's a very nice vehicle, I don't blame you at all. Definitely a bit more premium than the Durango, probably too nice for someone like me, haha.
Won't lie. I'm a little worried I'm going to tear it up. 2 boys and lots of towing duty I suspect it'll get at least a little abuse at some point in it's life.

Same basic principle as the SS though. Low and Fast family hauler :D :D

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Won't lie. I'm a little worried I'm going to tear it up. 2 boys and lots of towing duty I suspect it'll get at least a little abuse at some point in it's life.

Same basic principle as the SS though. Low and Fast family hauler :D :D
That was another of the not insignificant list of reasons I didn't end up in an ml63 amg. I have a lab puppy and so I was convinced he would destroy anything too nice on his way to and from the dog park. I could just see his paws and claws tearing up the top of a leather trimmed door. Hard 200s GM plastic? Not so much, haha.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian @swatski

Going to pickup the Q7 tomorrow. Considering a tow with it next week.

Did you guys run the Audi specific draw bar in the hitch for your boat towing shenanigans? I'm getting conflicting reports on if that is really necessary or not. Any thoughts?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian @swatski

Did you guys run the Audi specific draw bar in the hitch for your boat towing shenanigans? I'm getting conflicting reports on if that is really necessary or not. Any thoughts?
Mine has the complete Audi towing package with hitch, wiring and added cooling. Also has "Adaptive Chassis" leveling system.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine has the complete Audi towing package with hitch, wiring and added cooling. Also has "Adaptive Chassis" leveling system.
Same on my new one.

I've been reading on some other forums about a particular ball and draw bar (The part that goes into the hitch) from Audi. Supposedly Audi has a really tight spec on the distance the ball can be extended from the hitch.

One guy was using this:

I've seen others use the Curt Branded piece.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine came with the Audi bar and ball in a nice black plastic storage box. I did have an issue with one of my many store bought hitches....the bar was too long and ran into the back of the tow bar before the holes lined up....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian @swatski

I missed your shopping spree! Congrats!
I still miss the Q7, albeit mine was a diesel which I loved and it was freaking amazing. Had not been for the stupid dieselgate, I would still be probably running with it. The new ones are a bit lighter, I think, but they are still solid and they feature the most amazing, magic really, traction control.

The factory tow hitch - the thing that holds the ball and slips into the receiver, was kind of odd - stubby, solid metal (not hollowed), weighing about 20lbs... I found it useless, and needed something to adjust height (weigh-safe's my solution for that).

I would make sure to get the full tow package. I got screwed as mine was missing something and I needed the whole kit to the tune of like $2-3k, plus install, it was stupid. But no one would touch it otherwise as without the whole kit the trailer load can throw havoc in the electronics.

Being a car chassis not a truck frame, I remember needing to make some mods (I'm forgetting what I did) - to tighten the hitch inside the receiver as even the smallest amount of play would be noisy and amplified in my head and drive me crazy.

COngrats!

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Insurance quote came back $74/mo less expensive on the Audi as well. I verified the VIN and coverage twice. Doesn't make much sense, but is what it is, I'll take it.
My last two new vehicles have been cheaper than the vehicle they replaced for insurance. I think it must be all the active safety equipment in newer cars.