• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Durango RT vs Audi Q7

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, I'm going to preface this by saying I'm experienced at towing, I've been towing trailers, making pick-ups and deliveries since I was 16, I've been selling and servicing trailers for over 20 years, and I haul a 5th wheel camper with a Cummins. Today is the first day for the last week that I haven't had a trailer hooked to my truck. My wife isn't quite as experienced. We are looking to replace her daily driver with an SUV capable of towing our SX230, so she can follow me to the campground with the boat, while I pull the camper. There are also other factors we have had to take into consideration, like the height and length of our garage. And, of course...budget. We have narrowed it down to two that keep coming out on top, the Durango RT, and the Audi Q7. They fit in the garage, the budget, and have the tow rating that makes me feel fairly comfortable with 5,000 lbs behind it. Deciding between the two is proving to be a bit tricky. There are things about each we like better than the other, so here I am, asking if any of you guys have experience with one of these, or (in a perfect world) both. If you have any knowledge about these vehicles, and how they do with towing, how's the handling, the power, (and most importantly) the braking. We are looking at relatively late models, '17-'19.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just saw @MrMoose name pop up... as I recall, he has some serious long hauls with a Durango under his belt. 😀

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes @BigAbe75 lots of long tows with my 2012 Durango R/T. Twice from Houston TX, to Fort Lauderdale. No issues.
So the suspension is firm enough to handle the load without getting squirrelly at speed, and the brakes are solid? I get the feeling the Durango will probably edge out the Q7 in terms of suspension and power, but Audi historically has amazing brakes, and that air suspension might be better for towing than I’m imagining.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski had a TDI Q7 he's the only one I know that had a Q7 on here.

There are many with Durango's.
Thanks for the heads up, hopefully he (and others) chime in with some feedback.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the suspension is firm enough to handle the load without getting squirrelly at speed, and the brakes are solid? I get the feeling the Durango will probably edge out the Q7 in terms of suspension and power, but Audi historically has amazing brakes, and that air suspension might be better for towing than I’m imagining.
Wheelbase favors the Durango. R/T's should be available with load levelling shocks. 5.7 in the Durango will be worked a little less than and be a little more fun to drive than the TDI or 3.0T in the Q7. Tune on the 3.0T would change that. I hear the TDI pulls like a freight train, but isn't overly entertaining to drive otherwise.

AWD system, and short overhang favor the Q7.

Both have world class ZF transmissions.

How does your wife feel about a diesel? Mine is opposed 100% to them out of fear of forgetting it's a diesel and putting gasoline in it.

Easier to add the tow package to an R/T than a Q7. I would seek out one already equipped to avoid that hassle all together though.

Service department and class of service is heads and shoulders higher at Audi as compared to Dodge. Free loaners for scheduled maintenance at Audi. Audi's CPO program is phenomenal as well. Just as good as the original factory warranty if you buy from Audi.

IMO either will be a great selection, with the edge going to the R/T IMO. Drive them both and buy the one you like the best.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wheelbase favors the Durango. R/T's should be available with load levelling shocks. 5.7 in the Durango will be worked a little less than and be a little more fun to drive than the TDI or 3.0T in the Q7. Tune on the 3.0T would change that. I hear the TDI pulls like a freight train, but isn't overly entertaining to drive otherwise.

AWD system, and short overhang favor the Q7.

Both have world class ZF transmissions.

How does your wife feel about a diesel? Mine is opposed 100% to them out of fear of forgetting it's a diesel and putting gasoline in it.

Easier to add the tow package to an R/T than a Q7. I would seek out one already equipped to avoid that hassle all together though.

Service department and class of service is heads and shoulders higher at Audi as compared to Dodge. Free loaners for scheduled maintenance at Audi. Audi's CPO program is phenomenal as well. Just as good as the original factory warranty if you buy from Audi.

IMO either will be a great selection, with the edge going to the R/T IMO. Drive them both and buy the one you like the best.
You’re echoing a lot of what’s going through my head, thanks for the great info! I’ve got an old Audi A8L that I bought with a blown tranny and overhauled myself. That is a ZF trans also, and I agree, they’re a world class trans. Didn’t know that’s what the Durango has. She doesn’t really want a diesel, she like the immediate throttle response of gassers, so I’m not sure I want to push the TDI, although that might be what my personal choice would be. Audi is top notch quality from top to bottom, and we both know that, but then again, I tend to do all my own mechanic work, and they’re not known to be mechanic friendly. Nor cheap to repair. I would prefer a factory tow package on either vehicle, but we install hitches at work periodically, so I’m no stranger to that. The rear overhang on the Audi no doubt helps stability, good call on that.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We have a 17 Q7 with the supercharged gas motor. While we do not regularly tow with it, we have towed our 232 multiple times (In hills) with it and it it was more than adequate. No stability problems. It’s a fantastic daily driver!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 17 Q7 with the supercharged gas motor. While we do not regularly tow with it, we have towed our 232 multiple times (In hills) with it and it it was more than adequate. No stability problems. It’s a fantastic daily driver!
That’s a really sweet looking rig! I just love the looks of the Q7... geeze, this ain’t supposed to be this hard...lol

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, it’s the wife’s kid hauler but it’s also the best road trip vehicle I’ve ever driven. Oh and it has massaging seats. Comments above on the CPO is spot on. We bought our with 13,000 miles and worked a deal on the CPO inspection. Now the real tow beast in the rear view camera is the Touareg V10 TDI.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Towed with 2011 Q7 TDI and 2018 Q7 3.0 with adaptive chassis. Both tow fine, but the MPG on the TDI was 50% better towing and they shrank the gas tank on the 3.0 (very annoying).

Love driving the 2018...its loaded (only extra it's missing is FLIR). Stereo is so loud I cant turn it up full for long!!!! And I love cranking tunes.

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Just did a lot of research ourselves on a new Durango. Do not buy one without the tow package. The tow package comes with the oil cooler and bigger tranny cooler. Both must haves. That v8 is spectacular for towing as well. And like previously stated, it is a blast to drive the rest of the time. We ultimately ended up in a Nissan Armada. The wife fell in love with the space and finish of the vehicle. But it has a big v8 and makes easy work of towing.

Also, the Durango rt comes standard with load level air suspension.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just did a lot of research ourselves on a new Durango. Do not buy one without the tow package. The tow package comes with the oil cooler and bigger tranny cooler. Both must haves. That v8 is spectacular for towing as well. And like previously stated, it is a blast to drive the rest of the time. We ultimately ended up in a Nissan Armada. The wife fell in love with the space and finish of the vehicle. But it has a big v8 and makes easy work of towing.

Also, the Durango rt comes standard with load level air suspension.
The Armada tows awesome!D0D3E1C1-DD57-4301-9C0B-B1BA3DDB09DC.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couple notes on tow packages.

BOTH require a dealership reprogram of the body control module for the factory wiring harness to work properly. It's not quite as simple as just adding the hitch on either.

The Q7 will require that dealership trip, the harness, and the hitch. Not sure what coolers it comes with otherwise though, that's worth researching.

The R/T will come with the oil and transmission coolers, as well as the load levelling shocks. Durango's with OTHER trim levels (crew/citadel/etc) MIGHT not have those things. If you're going to buy a Durango without a tow package, get an R/T ONLY then add the hitch, wires, and programming.

Also, on the R/T side.....it's the same chassis as a Meecedes-Benz M and GL class SUV of the SE vintage. If you like the R/T check out the Mercedes as well. Sheet metal and interior are different, but chassis is the same.

Also, to combat the Q7 pics earlier in the thread.... I'll just leave this "Storm Trooper" of an R/T here for your viewing pleasure........this is what I was seriously looking to get around this time last year :)

cfd3c8f88220d34059186c1626f8988a.jpg

Good friend at my last position had a '15 R/T. I drove an '06 Trailblazer SS. We "Compared" capabilities several times. I had him on both HP and Torque, but from any speed from 0-100 if we were even, I would get about a truck length jump and then it was a dead heat to as fast as we cared to go. His SUV was FAR more refined than my old banana wagon of a ride though.

Here's my Trailblazer. I really should've kept this one and fixed it.....it's not what you're looking for, but I'm this far down the rabbit hole of story telling, might as well share :)
20170906_195204.jpg

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have been towing with a 2018 Q7 for a year now. Short version; plenty of power, pulls the 242 with ease. Never had any braking or handling worries while towing. We have traveled out to the mountains, and several trips of 3 hours or more, no real issues. The range is not great.

The only area of concerns are these.. I need to add some towing mirrors. Changing lanes in any curve is dicey because its hard to see past the boats width. The other concern is at the ramp. The vehicle has to be backed in almost to the point where the tailpipes are in the water due to the height of the shorelandr' trailer.