• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Durango RT vs Audi Q7

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, if we get a Durango, it’ll be an RT for sure. Either one I’d much rather get with the tow package included, but I won’t pass up a great deal on something that meets all the other criteria. I looked at some of the Mercedes, but they seemed to be a notch above what we are looking to spend. The added comforts of the Q7 would make it the preferred vehicle for anytime it’s not towing the boat. This really might come down to which one we end up finding a better deal on.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah, if we get a Durango, it’ll be an RT for sure. Either one I’d much rather get with the tow package included, but I won’t pass up a great deal on something that meets all the other criteria. I looked at some of the Mercedes, but they seemed to be a notch above what we are looking to spend. The added comforts of the Q7 would make it the preferred vehicle for anytime it’s not towing the boat. This really might come down to which one we end up finding a better deal on.
Why not an SRT... tell the wife you need "the extra power for safe towing..."

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why not an SRT... tell the wife you need "the extra power for safe towing..."
Haha, because I'm not sure I want her to have that much horsepower... No, I would certainly entertain an SRT, but they jump in price quite a bit from the RT, so I just don't think I want to spend extra on vehicle that's gonna suck that much more fuel. Don't get me wrong, I was drooling over them, and she was too...lol

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Haha, because I'm not sure I want her to have that much horsepower... No, I would certainly entertain an SRT, but they jump in price quite a bit from the RT, so I just don't think I want to spend extra on vehicle that's gonna suck that much more fuel. Don't get me wrong, I was drooling over them, and she was too...lol
You only live once... :D

Brandon_SC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dgfreeze My wife and I bought a '19 Durango RT back in August. I purposefully bought a RWD instead of AWD... and made sure it already had the towing package. It tows and brakes a good bit better than the Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0L that I used to have... this past weekend I averaged 11.5 mpg pulling over steep hills and driving 60-65 mph. I absolutely love the RT.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dgfreeze My wife and I bought a '19 Durango RT back in August. I purposefully bought a RWD instead of AWD... and made sure it already had the towing package. It tows and brakes a good bit better than the Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0L that I used to have... this past weekend I averaged 11.5 mpg pulling over steep hills and driving 60-65 mph. I absolutely love the RT.
Why did you purposefully seek out the RWD over the AWD?

Brandon_SC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Living in the South, I have no need for AWD. Coming from owning an AWD Yukon, I determined that it only added weight and cost of maintenance/parts replacement. I had to pay for a front differential rebuild once in the Yukon. Not cheap.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Living in the South, I have no need for AWD. Coming from owning an AWD Yukon, I determined that it only added weight and cost of maintenance/parts replacement. I had to pay for a front differential rebuild once in the Yukon. Not cheap.
Haha, just had this discussion the other day. My brother in law has a 2wd Ram in FL, he has fears at the boat ramp when there is sand built up at the bottom. My other bro in law also has a 2wd Ram, I had to pull him out of the sand at the boat ramp. Last week. It looked mild enough, but he got in there and couldn't get out. Made for quite the spectacle as I pulled him out with my trailer attached.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get that from a daily driver perspective.

From a boating perspective, I've always had issues with my 2wd vehicles on wet ramps. There are more than a few ramps around here that get VERY rough a few times a year and are only accessible with 4wd. Not because of terrain, but moss/algae will grow and make the ramp so slippery that if your rear tires get wet, it's curtains unless you have AWD at some level. Even the FWD vehicles have issues there when the algae gets tracked/splashed up on the top of the ramps.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As a previous Audi owner and now a Jeep owner.
Fitment, materials, comfort, technology, etc def goes to Audi over FCA.
I would get the Audi.

If you do get the Durango, make sure to check the vin to insure it has the FACTORY tow package. Do not add it aftermarket. FACTORY is essential to be able to tow the max amount. (Due to HD brakes and trans cooler)

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hell, if your wife is on board - that's 99% of the problem already resolved!
Well daggone it, I need a little bit of gun money left over after this purchase! 😂

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a previous Audi owner and now a Jeep owner.
Fitment, materials, comfort, technology, etc def goes to Audi over FCA.
I would get the Audi.

If you do get the Durango, make sure to check the vin to insure it has the FACTORY tow package. Do not add it aftermarket. FACTORY is essential to be able to tow the max amount. (Due to HD brakes and trans cooler)
Does the Durango RT tow package have larger brakes/calipers? That certainly makes a bit more difference to me. More than anything else, to be honest.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does the Durango RT tow package have larger brakes/calipers? That certainly makes a bit more difference to me. More than anything else, to be honest.
No brake upgrade since the RT has upgraded brakes I assume.
It does provide load level suspension, hitch, brake controller, and heavy duty engine cooling

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lots of variables, but it looks like the r/t gives you a bit higher payload.....= more cold cans!
r/t wt 5331 lbs, gvwr 7100 = 1769 payload
q7 wt 4938 lbs, gvwr 6479 = 1541 payload

we've just been through this also...changing wife's car to be able to pull the larger new boat a few times per year while i pull our tt. almost grabbed a 2017 durango citadel v6 awd, but decided she no longer needed 3-row seating. ended up with a 2017 jeep grand cherokee with factory tow pkg (limited, v6, 8spd zf, 4x4, 6500 gvwr).

the durango (and jeep) nivomat self-leveling rear shocks are nice.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The R/T has all of the brakes, coolers, and suspension upgrades of the tow package already included.

Adding a tow package to an R/T involves the below items
  • Factory Hitch
  • Factory Wiring
  • Reprogrammed BCM (for wiring to be active)
  • New Bumper Cover plate to hide hitch (paint to match)
I'll dig up a thread that covers this.....gimme a few

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you don't need three rows, the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 in it or the SRT with the 6.4. They are both rated at 7200 lbs and that's with 4 wheel drive. All 4 wheel drive have air ride suspension. I personally tow with a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with a 3l diesel 4x4. I pull a 2016 SX240. I would pull my boat anywhere with it. Both the RT and Grand Cherokee are build on the same line with the same suspension, motors, and drive train except the RT is AWD and the Cherokee is AWD with an two speed Transfer case for pulling. Forgot, both v8's and the Diesel have the ZF 8 speed made by ZF in South Carolina, while all of the 3.8l have a ZF/modified FCA (ZF licensed to FCA) 8 speed assembled by FCA. Not as heavy duty as the HP 70 or HP 75.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you don't need three rows, the Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 in it or the SRT with the 6.4. They are both rated at 7200 lbs and that's with 4 wheel drive. All 4 wheel drive have air ride suspension. I personally tow with a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with a 3l diesel 4x4. I pull a 2016 SX240. I would pull my boat anywhere with it. Both the RT and Grand Cherokee are build on the same line with the same suspension, motors, and drive train except the RT is AWD and the Cherokee is AWD with an two speed Transfer case for pulling. Forgot, both v8's and the Diesel have the ZF 8 speed made by ZF in South Carolina, while all of the 3.8l have a ZF/modified FCA (ZF licensed to FCA) 8 speed assembled by FCA. Not as heavy duty as the HP 70 or HP 75.
The Grand Cherokee was in the running. In fact, it was the last one eliminated, leaving these two. She decided she wanted that third row of seats...lol

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear what your saying. I would have gotten the RT AWD but I wanted the diesel. If it was today I would get the SRT Durango. Its good for I think 8600 lbs.. Good luck..