• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling motor breaker question.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Which trolling motor do you have? Two options at 24v, 70 or 80#.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would definitely swap out the 8 awg for 6 awg. That will take care of any heat in the wiring. Try it with your 60 amp breaker with full amp draw/w.o.t. and see it the stated 56 amps max trips the 60a breaker. If it does, swap it out for a 70 amp, still good for 6 awg wire. @HangOutdoors has no reported tripping breaker issues with his 60a, but I do not recall his model.

Sherwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Replaced the breaker with a Blue Sea breaker
Been out thrice
Cranked it to 10 every time.
Yet to have an issue.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine was installed at the dealer I bought the boat from…I’ll have to double check on the wire size the installer used but I’m pretty sure it’s #8.

MinnKota would not put out information that would make them liable for causing fires.

View attachment 202247

Thanks for the ABYC link… I plugged in the digits for the OP’s system, changed the temp rating of the wire from 60° C to the 105°C specified in the MinnKota install instructions, also put in the 5% drop per the instructions, and used the 56 A max amp draw which the instructions say only occurs intermittently and during select conditions and is above the continuous load, and the ABYC calculator put this out.

View attachment 202248

So the MinnKota install instructions are already upping the wire size above what the ABYC calculator shows.
I have 8 gauge too with no issue, next time I use it for a long time I will check how hot it is, if its not too hot I will leave it alone.