• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Troubles loading boat.

Fakenewsrealhp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I just picked up a 2020 195s, galvanized shorelandr trailer.
I have to put this trailer completely underwater besides the winch to get it loaded. If not the bow roller is above the gunnel and won’t pull the boat UP, just pulls it forward under the roller. So at the 3 launches I’ve been to so far the boat is maybe next to the dock 3-4feet with the stern free floating out in space.
My 2010 Tahoe is nearly over the rear bumper in water, rear tires 90% submerged.

TELL me I’m overlooking something and there’s a simpler way. I plan on some guide poles for the trailer but I know they shouldn’t be a necessity.

I’m a fairly experienced boater by way of everyone else’s fishing boats, first Yamaha and first bow rider type boat.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If the roller is above the gunnel the trailer is in too far.. you need the rail to lift boat so if that happen pull trailer up a little bit, you want bow to come up not lower the roller.

Fakenewsrealhp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s normally where I’d assume I was wrong but in that case I would have to winch 4ish feet to get the boat on the trailer, in which case I believe is also wrong.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That’s normally where I’d assume I was wrong but in that case I would have to winch 4ish feet to get the boat on the trailer, in which case I believe is also wrong.
Yup unfortunately that’s what I do, I do not powerload so I winch it up. Eventually you will get used to it

Fakenewsrealhp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Noones ever told me I was too deep! :cool:
Next season I’ll try it since even today’s outing was 60deg air and 52deg water temp

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have the same issues with my trailer. I do not power on or off, so I have to winch my boat on. I also have to shove it off as well, unless I submerge the fenders. I moved the bow roller back about 4 inches, didn’t help much.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Fakenewsrealhp

Cover your fenders with an inch of water no more than that and winch the last couple few feet. That is absolutely normal and the way you should do it. Then when you are coming out of the water go 5mph right away and hit the brake. The boat will snug. Get out and tighten your winch and make sure your safety chain is on. Also make sure your winch post is tight with its bolts.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same issues with my trailer. I do not power on or off, so I have to winch my boat on. I also have to shove it off as well, unless I submerge the fenders. I moved the bow roller back about 4 inches, didn’t help much.
Submerge the fenders and let her glide off. Only time I have to shove her off is if the ramp is jacked up and the angle is shallow. That is how I do it. I only cover my fenders 1 inch or so for loading so the bunks will keep her aligned coming in. Our boats have the same hull and trailer. It is fairly effortless, especially with the trailer guides.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Submerge the fenders and let her glide off. Only time I have to shove her off is if the ramp is jacked up and the angle is shallow. That is how I do it. I only cover my fenders 1 inch or so for loading so the bunks will keep her aligned coming in.
Agreed. The lakes were low this year in CA, the ramps long and steep, and my trailer usually started leveling off when launching.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
21 195S - I agree with too deep. Before I switched trailers, just up to the top of the fenders on the single axle trailer would let it glide off. Coming back on, about two inches of the fender showing was about right for most ramps. I was towing with a 15 Yukon and the truck was very close to the water. Rear wheels in the water in some cases. These trailers are just big enough for these 19.5’ boats and the swing away tongue is shorter than normal trailers. It’s doable but has a smaller window of opportunity based on the ramps and the angles.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Submerge the fenders and let her glide off. Only time I have to shove her off is if the ramp is jacked up and the angle is shallow. That is how I do it. I only cover my fenders 1 inch or so for loading so the bunks will keep her aligned coming in. Our boats have the same hull and trailer. It is fairly effortless, especially with the trailer guides.
Fully submerged is the way to go, except my tow vehicle rear wheels end up in the water, about half way up. I may end up switching my SUV out for a F-series, but not now for the obvious reasons.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All good advice already, pretty much what we do. I would add that spraying the bunks down with either silicone or MaryKate Liquid rollers will help quite a bit. I spray it on once a month or so, just after putting the boat in the water, so it has time to dry while you are out boating. The boat will slide on and off much easier.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
All good advice already, pretty much what we do. I would add that spraying the bunks down with either silicone or MaryKate Liquid rollers will help quite a bit. I spray it on once a month or so, just after putting the boat in the water, so it has time to dry while you are out boating. The boat will slide on and off much easier.
Great advice. My hull seems to be getting scuffed somewhat.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You're making it too complex. Trailer is in too deep and you should be using the winch to pull the boat onto the trailer. Powerloading is the lazy way and in many areas prohibited as it damages the seabed and can lead to ramp erosion. two ramps in the areas where we boat were completely destroyed from years of bass boats powerloading and blasting the seabed away from the end of the concrete ramp. The concrete eventually collasped and broke apart and continued use after that started to blast the pieces around. It's now blocked off and unusable until they get around to repairing the ramps. Click the image below to see what it looks like now:

Ramp.jpg

Launching, my wife walks with the boat as I back up dock lines in hand, I back in to dunk the bunks so the boat can slide off easily, then pull forward a few feet till the fender tops are just out of the water, unhook winch and safety chain, and then I back in a couple feet and stop - boat slides off effortlessly and my wife ties it to the dock. At this point my rear tires are in about 2 inches of water with a short wheelbase SUV. Done. Time to park.

Loading, I back in to dunk the bunks so the boat can slide on easily, then pull forward a few feet till the fender tops are just out of the water, pull the boat to the trailer with the dock lines into the bunks and it centers it, pull the winch strap out 6-8 feet or so and hook onto the boat, then crank her up. This self-centers the boat as I crank and when it's about 3 feet from the winch and starts to get heavy, I back up the truck a couple feet till the fenders are covered and rear tires are in about 2 inches of water and can then winch her on the rest of the way, then safety chain on and pull out of the water. Done.

Sounds hard cranking it with the winch, but it's geared low so it's not hard, just lots of cranking and turning the handle - no big deal. And most of the time we can load our boat faster than others beside us at the ramps who powerload - we're out of the water and cleaning up while they're still attempting to line it up straight for the second or third time.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Get out and tighten your winch and make sure your safety chain is on.
I put the safety chain on before pulling out of the water - if the winch were to fail or the strap breaks, you might leave your boat on the ramp.
:)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As i do and everyone should. Chain can pop off when you do the hard break snug manuever.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As i do and everyone should. Chain can pop off when you do the hard break snug manuever.
I don't do the hard stop since I can get it to just rest on the roller when I winch it on...so I just drive down the road 5 mins to a few traffic light stops and by then the boat has wiggled the last inch up tight to the roller. A couple clicks on the winch and snug. When I get home and parked for the week I back off the winch a couple clicks to release the strap tension. When I leave the following weekend I crank it a couple clicks tight before we pull out of the driveway. Been doing it this way for years so it's habit.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you spray the bunks with furniture polish like pledge and you make sure you do not release the winch until you want the boat to come off you will be very surprised how easily the boat goes on and of the trailer without sinking the trailer deep.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I get home and parked for the week I back off the winch a couple clicks to release the strap tension. When I leave the following weekend I crank it a couple clicks tight before we pull out of the driveway.
That is a good point. I do the same thing and also release the tension on my G2 Boat Buckles once it is in the drive. Not sure if it hurts anything to leave tension on them but figured it would be best to do it.