• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck box / toolbox on trailer ?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know hind sight is supposedly 20/20, but would the box/open lid fit under the boat, if the opening was positioned on top? But on second thought, rain water may collect around handles and leak in there.
Wondering if I shouldn’t have gone that route. I could have gotten a smaller box that opened up (designed with a lip over the edge to keep out rain) But, I didn’t want to have to worry about hitting the boat with the lid. The lid on this one is recessed a bit instead, so would probably leak if faced up. (Smaller box wouldn’t have been in the water quite as much either, to start with)

If the gap in lid seal was large enough for a paper towel to try to be sucked out when draining, it’s going to be tough for 3/8” hole or even 2 in the bottom to out pace incoming water. But it should drain in pretty short order.

Ive got some 3/4” rubber (horse trailer mat) that I used to have some weight equipment sitting on. Some totes sitting on top of a couple rubber strips may do the trick. Don’t think I can use my original carpet covered plywood anymore. :)

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those boxes are normally used for large commercial trucks. They are designed to keep out rain and they didn't happen moat of the time.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20180501_123434.jpg and it swings.. . Plus u can lift it off the bracket and carry it away but it also has a spot for a pad lock and the lid locks! 20180501_123434.jpg 20180501_123434.jpg

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Really like that!^

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's neat! I've never seen those before. Found a video that shows how it works and talks about the install. Might take a little finagling, but could probably get it installed on the trailer frame easy enough. Might look a little weird on the boat trailer with the tire cutout, though. :) Wonder if they have (or could make) a square one.

If I was starting over, I'd give that some serious thought. But, at this point I'm already invested in what I've got. Amazon has them for just under $200. That's about where I'm at now, with the brackets, bolts, washers, etc. This would be that much and no extra pieces needed (unless you wanted to use UBolts instead of the self-tapping screws that come with it).

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There r copy cats for cheaper.. The mounting bracket would just need the unolts as u say. . Not sure how waterproof it would be but its all one piece of plastic

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Probably close enough to water proof. I wouldn't expect the top to be submerged at all. Unless the plastic cracked or something, I'm sure it would be fine in that regard. Might have to give this some thought. Since I've already drilled holes and mounted, I can't very well return this other unit. But, it probably would sell pretty easily on craigslist around here. I may have to talk to the boss a bit and see what she thinks. Thanks for thinking of it!!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would just put an ammo box on there. Mount it by putting holes in the side against the trailer--same way you did with the silicone and washers. Not as big, but you could put one on each side and lock 'em...