• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Shopping - Update: now with build, bikes, and colorado

Which mid-size truck? (please read first)

• Tacoma

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@I_squared_r I love the look of that bottom Tacoma there.

I have visions of doing "overlanding", but I don't know of locations in the southeast area to do that sort of thing. Seems like most of the OHV areas in the country are out west. Even then, with little ones, the work required to camp is pretty high for me.

I do want to trade my road bike in on a mountain bike though :D
With kids it must be hard to overland. Like I said earlier in the thread, I was looking for the perfect truck for a single guy, and this is definitely it lol I had plans to see my female friend in brazil for a few weeks, but she just told me to save some of the vacation days so we can do a moab roadtrip. Her family has a bike shop in brazil and mountain biking is popular there. I'm hoping she can bring a bike here because finding a entry level full suspension is expensive here..

Definitely trade in for a mountain bike. It's the funnest way to improve your cardio and heart health!

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im a Toyota dealer...believe me you cant go wrong buying a Tacoma. Resale value is ridiculously high and reliability is second to none

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Im a Toyota dealer...believe me you cant go wrong buying a Tacoma. Resale value is ridiculously high and reliability is second to none
Yeah I was finding preowned with 30k miles for only $2k less than new. I guess its for people that can't wait for a new 1.

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I was finding preowned with 30k miles for only $2k less than new. I guess its for people that can't wait for a new 1.
I have a salesman that bought a 2019 TRD Offroad new last year, we put it online on the Manheim Auction site and it sold in less than 1 hour for $270 more than he paid for it new. I just bought at auction a 2017 TRD Sport Double Cab and paid $100 over what the actual invoice price was on it new in 2017. Tacomas are crazy right now.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have a salesman that bought a 2019 TRD Offroad new last year, we put it online on the Manheim Auction site and it sold in less than 1 hour for $270 more than he paid for it new. I just bought at auction a 2017 TRD Sport Double Cab and paid $100 over what the actual invoice price was on it new in 2017. Tacomas are crazy right now.
Didn't this happen with the FJ Cruisers? I remember some time back people told me they were selling for significantly more than new because they stopped making them and demand was high. No idea if that was true or not.

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't this happen with the FJ Cruisers? I remember some time back people told me they were selling for significantly more than new because they stopped making them and demand was high. No idea if that was true or not.
Yes they did, they still bring ridiculous money on the used car market. At one time a year or so back FJ Cruisers had the highest resale value of any vehicle on the road. Right now #1 is Tacoma, #2 is Tundra, #3 is 4Runner based on a Kelley Blue Book study

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they did, they still bring ridiculous money on the used car market. At one time a year or so back FJ Cruisers had the highest resale value of any vehicle on the road. Right now #1 is Tacoma, #2 is Tundra, #3 is 4Runner based on a Kelley Blue Book study
I read a couple years ago, maybe just last year that the Ford Raptor was in similar resale territory for the same reasons.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This came across my feed today. I swear google is listening in on my forum posts!

New 2021 Chevy Colorado ZR2 vs Toyota Tacoma TRD …:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've been checking with every dealer. 10% are willing to sell at 94% MSRP. 50% will sell at 96% off MSRP. 40% are selling at 100% MSRP or more. The dealers selling above MSRP, I always tell them the same thing "You and I both know the inventory will return to normal soon and i'll be sure not to buy at your dealer." There's tacomas out there. The challenge is finding the options and color that I want, at a reasonable price, and before someone else puts their deposit. Everyone is buying while the truck is in transit. I'm optimistic that inventory will improve over the next few weeks because now the 2021's are coming in.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've been checking with every dealer. 10% are willing to sell at 94% MSRP. 50% will sell at 96% off MSRP. 40% are selling at 100% MSRP or more. The dealers selling above MSRP, I always tell them the same thing "You and I both know the inventory will return to normal soon and i'll be sure not to buy at your dealer." There's tacomas out there. The challenge is finding the options and color that I want, at a reasonable price, and before someone else puts their deposit. Everyone is buying while the truck is in transit. I'm optimistic that inventory will improve over the next few weeks because now the 2021's are coming in.
Best advice I have is be patient and don't fall in love with a single truck. Although I still gasp at only 6% discount. If you are super patient, I bet in a year a lot of these trucks will be back on the market with less than 5k miles.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I test drove a Jeep Gladiator Overland they wanted $47k after $1000 rebate. They didn't want to budge on price. The Overland was nice, but that is $5k more than a loaded Tacoma. I think they offer nearly the same thing. Heres what I noticed

Pros for Jeep Gladiator Overland:
Backup camera quality is really good
Heated steering wheel
Top is removable
Solid front diff is better for offroad
more room in the backseat (not really important to me)
better seating position
6000lb towing capacity on overland (7850 available with MAX TOW package on Sport trim, i've heard of dealers marking these up)

Pros for Tacoma:
more reliable
More comfortable ride
safety features like adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, automatic braking, blind spot monitoring etc.
6400lb towing capacity
$5k cheaper lol
this is probably the most sensible option..

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How much was the Jeep’s price discounted? There certainly is a “Jeep tax” when comparing to similar vehicles. Even Jeep people will admit it. I couldn’t make myself pay it. When I was looking at four door Wranglers it was suggested I look a 4Runners instead.

How is this price compared to what you are seeing in the NYC area?

Also look at Reedman Toll in Langhorne, PA. Lots of people from NYC come down there.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The keep should be at employee pricing, should be much larger discount than 1k. Honestly though at 45k money is best spent with a full size truck. Long-term benefits should far out weigh any added parking costs.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Only the 2020 gladiator overland gets employee pricing with Chrysler financing. Its hard to find a 2020 now. The dealer told me MSRP on the Jeeps

I'm not interested in full size for many reasons.. I cant get over how unnecessarily large they are. Its impossible to find parking in NYC with them and parking garages aren't always available. Some off road trails are too small for full size trucks. Also the only off road ready full size is the raptor at 60k. I can come up with a ton of reasons why full size doesn't work for me.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How much was the Jeep’s price discounted? There certainly is a “Jeep tax” when comparing to similar vehicles. Even Jeep people will admit it. I couldn’t make myself pay it. When I was looking at four door Wranglers it was suggested I look a 4Runners instead.

How is this price compared to what you are seeing in the NYC area?

Also look at Reedman Toll in Langhorne, PA. Lots of people from NYC come down there.
Prices are full msrp at the jeep near my house. Ive heard of a lot of people going outside NYC and long island to find better deals. The dealers here are notorious for not giving deals.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only the 2020 gladiator overland gets employee pricing with Chrysler financing. Its hard to find a 2020 now. The dealer told me MSRP on the Jeeps

I'm not interested in full size for many reasons.. I cant get over how unnecessarily large they are. Its impossible to find parking in NYC with them and parking garages aren't always available. Some off road trails are too small for full size trucks. Also the only off road ready full size is the raptor at 60k. I can come up with a ton of reasons why full size doesn't work for me.
I get you don't want a fullsize, but I still think the "overly large" portion is something you'll find isn't really the case.

Tacoma is only ~5in shorter in length, 3in shorter in height, and ~6in narrower. If you're really worried about the trails being too tight at that close of clearance, you're gonna tear the ever loving crap out of your $45k truck. Track width on the Tacoma is 64in, 68in on the Silverado. The new "mid-size" trucks aren't "mid-size" at all. They're the same dimensions as "fullsize" trucks of several decades ago.

There is a certain "feel" to the midsizes that I can't argue with. We had an '03 Yukon, then had a '10 Traverse. The Traverse "felt" narrower, despite being a full 2in WIDER than the Yukon! The Traverse was still far more of a PIA to park than the Yukon. This is based on turning radius. Speaking of which, the Tacoma is at 22.0ft and the Silverado is at 23.2ft.

A fullsize and a mid-size are REALLY REALLY close to the same size overall package. Don't get me wrong, the mid-size trucks are nice vehicles, and will serve you fine. Hell even just the aftermarket parts options on the Tacoma are most likely better than a Sierra/Silverado from an overlanding standpoint.

What are you driving now as you upgrade to a pickup?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What are you driving now as you upgrade to a pickup?
2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE. I bought the truck used as a cheap option to tow my AR192 because I was stuck in a lease with a Hyundai Azera. I drive my dad's new RAM 1500 when I go to Florida and it's huge. He's been saying that he will get a mid-sized truck next because that new RAM has tons of capability that he doesn't need and he does light contractor work.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2010 Nissan Pathfinder LE. I bought the truck used as a cheap option to tow my AR192 because I was stuck in a lease with a Hyundai Azera. I drive my dad's new RAM 1500 when I go to Florida and it's huge. He's been saying that he will get a mid-sized truck next because that new RAM has tons of capability that he doesn't need and he does light contractor work.
I'll wager a frosty cold barley pop of your choosing that he wants to go back to a fullsize once he "downsizes" to a mid-size pickup. :D :D

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Whoever is telling only the Overland, is lying to you. Jeep website states any model but Rubicon and Mojave. Not sure about financing, but standard is either financing or discount, although hungry dealers will give you 0% and employee pricing. Should be pretty easy to find a credit union for a loan at 2%.

Not sure what options you want are how far you would want to drive - but there are over 500 2020 Gladiator Sport S within 150 miles of you with employee pricing.

ex. New 2020 Jeep Gladiator SPORT S 4X4 For Sale | Queens Village NY

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Should be pretty easy to find a credit union for a loan at 2%.
2%? Wow that is an incredible rate. What credit union are you using? My credit score is 800 and my credit union is only offering 40k @ 3.14% for 72 months and they are known for having great rates.

Whoever is telling only the Overland, is lying to you. Jeep website states any model but Rubicon and Mojave. Not sure about financing, but standard is either financing or discount, although hungry dealers will give you 0% and employee pricing.
He didn't tell me anything about employee pricing. I saw it on the website as shown below. Some of these older salesmen are good at giving the bull****, it's tough going into these dealers because us (the buyer) buy a car maybe ever 3-5 years while these guys are a master of the craft they've honed out their bull**** over a decade. This particular dealer was in a expensive neighborhood and asked me "where do you live?" all these guys are measuring my wallet.
1601905694590.png