• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Shopping - Update: now with build, bikes, and colorado

Which mid-size truck? (please read first)

• Tacoma

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@I_squared_r You've got me looking at overlanding stuff now. Damn this site likes to spend my money for me :D :D

Found this version of my truck, and it looks pretty awesome. No idea where I would go to use it, but that's a separate "Google-quest". This is essentially my truck with a rack system, tent, awning, and new front bumper with winch. Might have a level kit on the front as well, hard to tell. Anywho, it looks great and like a fun time for the weekend. Just need some Mt. Bikes hanging off the side.

View attachment 135124

In reference to tires.......I have KO2's on my truck now. They have worn like they are made from steel. Bought the truck with 36k miles with these tires brand new. I'm at 105.5k miles now, 36mo later, and I still have a few 32nd's of tread left. At least enough that I can run them for a few more months. Hoping to replace around the first of the year. When new they were fantastic in terms of traction. off road traction is exceptionally good. On road wasn't terrible, with wet traction on pavement being absolutely horrid. They look amazing. As they age, they have gotten worse and worse, to the point I hate them now, and most likely won't ever buy them again. They are loud and borderline dangerous in the wet. Freeway entrance and exit ramps have to be taken at the posted speed or below to maintain traction. I won't pull out in traffic in the rain without the use of "auto" 4wd engaged. I won't let the wife drive the truck in the rain. They've also grown increasingly louder as they wear. I mean like I need 50%+ stereo volume to get past the noise at 55+mph. I rotated them by hand last week for the first time. OMG they are heavy. Granted I run a 275/55/20, and that's a large tire to begin with, these are absurdly heavy. I measured my wheel/tire combination at just shy of 110lbs. Tirerack lists my KO2's at 55lb. Most of the other AT's in my size are closer to 35-40lbs. So, be aware of that and how unsprung mass affects acceleration, braking, and suspension dynamics. WIth all that said, they have been tough as nails the few times I've taken them off road. LARGE piece gravel on construction sites, backwoods "farmer trails" between fields, creek crossings, and things like that seem to mostly unphase them. I've driven in a few places in 2wd, and not realized it until I went to disengage it, only to find I never engaged it to begin with. If you spend a good deal of time offroad, they might be great. For my mixed use, with a lean towards commuting and towing............I'm going to be moving to a little less aggressive Continental Terrain Contact AT's. They're a little lighter, have great reviews, and are slightly less aggressive overall. probably a better fit for my use case.
Wait until you go on youtube and start looking at videos there lol thats when you will be in real trouble.
Thanks for your input on the KO2s. Your experience with the KO2's are similar to what other people on the internet say .. At first they are great tires, but they get louder as they age. I don't daily drive my car, but I still want to find some compromise because there isn't much off-roading in NYC.. I just need to continue doing my research and find the right build for me. Like when I shopped for my truck, I became an expert before buying.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is a cheaper lift with bilstein 5100's.
Front: 1.1" lift (Bilstein 5100 + OEM springs)
Rear: 1" lift (Bilstein 5100 + 1" block)
Tires: 265/75r16 KO2's

The rear sits only 3/4" higher than front. So i'd probably put add-a-leaf (AAL) for 1.5" lift.. Giving 1.25" higher in the rear than front so it's leveled with a tent/boat.
Also i'm thinking I can sell my running boards to help the budget.

bilstein 5100_stockspring_1in block rear_bfgko2_265_75_16.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@I_squared_r You've got me looking at overlanding stuff now. Damn this site likes to spend my money for me :D :D

Found this version of my truck, and it looks pretty awesome. No idea where I would go to use it, but that's a separate "Google-quest". This is essentially my truck with a rack system, tent, awning, and new front bumper with winch. Might have a level kit on the front as well, hard to tell. Anywho, it looks great and like a fun time for the weekend. Just need some Mt. Bikes hanging off the side.

View attachment 135124

In reference to tires.......I have KO2's on my truck now. They have worn like they are made from steel. Bought the truck with 36k miles with these tires brand new. I'm at 105.5k miles now, 36mo later, and I still have a few 32nd's of tread left. At least enough that I can run them for a few more months. Hoping to replace around the first of the year. When new they were fantastic in terms of traction. off road traction is exceptionally good. On road wasn't terrible, with wet traction on pavement being absolutely horrid. They look amazing. As they age, they have gotten worse and worse, to the point I hate them now, and most likely won't ever buy them again. They are loud and borderline dangerous in the wet. Freeway entrance and exit ramps have to be taken at the posted speed or below to maintain traction. I won't pull out in traffic in the rain without the use of "auto" 4wd engaged. I won't let the wife drive the truck in the rain. They've also grown increasingly louder as they wear. I mean like I need 50%+ stereo volume to get past the noise at 55+mph. I rotated them by hand last week for the first time. OMG they are heavy. Granted I run a 275/55/20, and that's a large tire to begin with, these are absurdly heavy. I measured my wheel/tire combination at just shy of 110lbs. Tirerack lists my KO2's at 55lb. Most of the other AT's in my size are closer to 35-40lbs. So, be aware of that and how unsprung mass affects acceleration, braking, and suspension dynamics. WIth all that said, they have been tough as nails the few times I've taken them off road. LARGE piece gravel on construction sites, backwoods "farmer trails" between fields, creek crossings, and things like that seem to mostly unphase them. I've driven in a few places in 2wd, and not realized it until I went to disengage it, only to find I never engaged it to begin with. If you spend a good deal of time offroad, they might be great. For my mixed use, with a lean towards commuting and towing............I'm going to be moving to a little less aggressive Continental Terrain Contact AT's. They're a little lighter, have great reviews, and are slightly less aggressive overall. probably a better fit for my use case.
You’re stuck with relatively heavy tires for 20s. I think every AT is going to be an LT/load range E. I switched to 17” wheels and standard non-LT tires on my current truck & it is night & day difference in ride quality. Definitely won’t be as durable though.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is a cheaper lift with bilstein 5100's.
Front: 1.1" lift (Bilstein 5100 + OEM springs)
Rear: 1" lift (Bilstein 5100 + 1" block)
Tires: 265/75r16 KO2's

The rear sits only 3/4" higher than front. So i'd probably put add-a-leaf (AAL) for 1.5" lift.. Giving 1.25" higher in the rear than front so it's leveled with a tent/boat.
Also i'm thinking I can sell my running boards to help the budget.

View attachment 135125
I think you said early on that you planned to keep this truck for a long time. If that’s the case and you really want to off-road a lot you might consider a rebuildable shock. It’s more money upfront but you never buy them again.
I went with some from Toytec in Denver & it is a blast at high speed!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’re stuck with relatively heavy tires for 20s. I think every AT is going to be an LT/load range E. I switched to 17” wheels and standard non-LT tires on my current truck & it is night & day difference in ride quality. Definitely won’t be as durable though.
I considered doing something like that. Had 16's and P tires on my '03 Yukon when I bought it. Upgraded to 17's and LT tires and liked the firmness they provided when towing. Took some of that "squirm" out if the truck. These 20's are relatively low profile, and I'm sure some of the garbage ride comes from that, being an LT and having Bilstein 5100's on the truck.

The KO2s are like 55lbs I think, and the new Contis are only 38lbs. Also dropping from a load range E to a load range D. KO2s are 15 ply sidewalls the Contis are only 12. Hoping that drop in weight and sidewall ply will help a little with the ride. Sure can't hurt, these KO2s are hard as a rock, might as well be solid!

I get I'm somewhat stuck since I want to keep the AT's and need the load rating. I don't do a ton of off-road work. Currently, but when I do I typically need more than a street tire to keep me out of trouble.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After a week of researching I came up with a good list. I settled on the idea that the truck is very capable stock and can get me to many places. The more difficult trails i'll leave to people with fully modded trucks. It's better that I rent a side-by-side in Moab and beat that up. I came up with this list and have started picking things up. Oh how things escalate since I started this thread.

$1200 tepui kukenam 3 tent (I found used with a bed rack. im waiting on pics from him)
$180 TRD Pro grill
$60 GSPSCN Tire Inflator (Amazon)
$37 walmart camp chairs pack of 4
$25 Coffee Percolator on Amazon
$150 RTIC 52 Ultralight Cooler
$27 Walmart 5gallon water containers x2
$60 2x Petzl Tikka Headlamps
$15 collapsible sink
$20 RoverTac Pocket Knife Multitool (amazon)
$11 Anvil D-Handle Utility Shovel (Homedepot)
$40 Estwing 16 in Campers Axe (Homedepot)
$80 Stanley Base Camp Cook Set for 4 (amazon)
$65 OEM mudguards
$60 toyota led bed lights

Maybe later i'll lift the truck a little with bilstein 5100's and a 1" rear block. Then put oem sized falken wildpeaks

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
List looks much more budget friendly!

Blisteins are only ~$200 or so aren't they?

I have heard to always stay away from lift blocks though.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
List looks much more budget friendly!

Blisteins are only ~$200 or so aren't they?

I have heard to always stay away from lift blocks though.
The bilsteins are $420 all 4. They say lift blocks aren't good because they twist the leafs. But i've only heard that on 1.5" and larger blocks. I would do a 1.5" add-a-leaf but that firms up the rear. Im not sure how i'd like the ride on that.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bilsteins are $420 all 4. They say lift blocks aren't good because they twist the leafs. But i've only heard that on 1.5" and larger blocks. I would do a 1.5" add-a-leaf but that firms up the rear. Im not sure how i'd like the ride on that.
I think I have about that in my 5100's for a fullsize GMC pickup. I didn't level the truck, I was trying to replace the crappy Ranchos, and liked the look of the 5100's over the 4600's so I spent a bit more. They're stiff as dammit though. Overdamped on high shaft speeds (like square edge bumps), and underdamped on slow shaft speeds (like whoops, and undulations). I'm not super happy with them. This is my 4th set of Bilsteins, and the quality is excellent, but I've never really liked the damping on them.

I suspect, based on my impressions with the Tacoma and no real evidence or research, that you will want the add-a-leaf after you put a heavy tent, rack, and cargo in the bed. Might also consider some airbags to keep the truck level while adding spring rate when loaded.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, this escalated! I found a full set up from a fellow tacoma owner. Kore4x4 steel bed rack, 2x thule sidearm bike carriers on the sides, and a kepui kekenam 3 person tent on top for $1100. We unbolted the rack and moved everything over in 1 move. Next year i will likely do bilstein 5100's to level the truck, Firestone air suspension in the rear, and a more aggressive off road tire. Im planning to do rimrocker and white rim trails next year! Thanks to everyone for inputting in this thread. I made the right choice.

Maybe im going to do a group 34 deep cycle with solar charging and run 12v lights inside. My brother told me he has a "raspberry pi" that can run a monitor on 12v. Pretty sure I can set up super nintendo inside the tent

IMG-20201018-WA0009.jpg
20201018_173438.jpg
20201018_173447.jpg
20201018_173517.jpg

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow what a bummer to make a large purchase like that and find its a waste of time. Yeah you should consider Tepui, iKamper, and FSR (freespirit recreation). I don't have experience with iKamper and FSR, but they seem very popular in all the youtube videos. Thule wanted to get into the RTT business and saw that Tepui was a very good brand, so they bought out Tepui recently.

I've been planning my trip out west. So I met this pretty brazilian girl back in January when I was on vacation. She would fly in with her bike a few days before departure and stay with me the entire trip. Her and her dad have a bike shop in brazil so she was able to find some mountain bike suggestions from some people. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. Here's what I have so far:

• Day 1: Drive from Long Island, NY to Davenport, IA (approximately 16 hours)
  • Day 2: Drive from Davenport, IA to Crested Butte, CO (approximately 16 hours)
Crested Butte, CO:

• Day 3: Bike ‘401 Trail’
  • Day 4: Bike ‘Doctor Park’
Black Canyon, CO:

• Day 5: Drive ‘North Rim’ at Black Canyon for a great view
Telluride, CO:

• Day 6: 4x4 ‘Imogene Pass’ and stay in primitive camp spot
  • Day 7: Bike ‘Telluride Bike Park’ or 4x4 ‘Alpine Loop’
Montrose, CO to Moab, UT

• Day 8: 4x4 Rimrocker trail and stay in primitive camp spot
  • Day 9: 4x4 Rimrocker trail and stay in primitive camp spot
  • Day 10: 4x4 finish Rimrocker Trail and set up camp in moab
Moab, UT:

• Day 11: Bike ‘Whole enchilada’ (shuttle)
  • Day 12: Rent a side-by-side (Optional)
  • Day 13: Bike ‘Slick rock’ and 4x4 ‘White Rim’ clockwise starting at Schafer switchbacks. Camp overnight at Murphy’s. Campsite has a giant rock for shade and great views.
  • Day 14: (Optional)
Leave Saturday, June 19th:

• Day 15: Drive to Columbia, MO (approximately 16 hours)
  • Day 16: Drive to Long Island, NY (approximately 16 hours)

And some pictures from the weekend:
It sags a lot with the boat and tent so I will do bilstein 5100's all around and firestone air bags in the rear. The air bags raise the rear 3/4" so I will adjust the front strut to raise like 1-1/2".

20201025_134233.jpg20201025_134159.jpg
IMG-20201025-WA0009.jpg
20201024_091722.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a helluva trip. I'm in for live trip reports along the way. Would be cool to have updates so the rest of us can live vicariously through you :D :D

That is a LOT of sag on the rear with the boat. What's the tent/rack combo weigh? I'm gonna guess under 200lbs, then maybe 300-3750lbs of tongue weight (I measured my 190 at 325lbs). I used to run "airshocks" on my old S-10. They actually were fairly well damped, and I could adjust the pressure for the load. Do they still make those?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a helluva trip. I'm in for live trip reports along the way. Would be cool to have updates so the rest of us can live vicariously through you :D :D

That is a LOT of sag on the rear with the boat. What's the tent/rack combo weigh? I'm gonna guess under 200lbs, then maybe 300-3750lbs of tongue weight (I measured my 190 at 325lbs). I used to run "airshocks" on my old S-10. They actually were fairly well damped, and I could adjust the pressure for the load. Do they still make those?
The tent is 125lbs and the rack is steel.. So your guess is probably right. Under 200lbs. Tongue weight is 300lbs. Tacomas don't have heavy duty springs in the rear so I will put the firestone airbags. Another company makes a part that allows full suspension travel with the air bags so it is a good combination.

Yeah i'm definitely down to put some trip reports. Maybe inspire people to do the same things! Unfortunately the trip will have to wait until at least June 2021 and the latest could be October 2021. The wait sucks, but I can better prepare for the trip.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I feel a good amount of "field testing" is in order!
Haha sure will! I am going to practice winter camping in the next few weeks and see what I need to be comfortable.
By the way, I found my set up for $1100. Tepui Kukenam 3, steel bed rack, and 2 thule sidearms. He was selling because he wants to build a camper van for him and his fiance. The deals are out there if you're looking.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow what a bummer to make a large purchase like that and find its a waste of time. Yeah you should consider Tepui, iKamper, and FSR (freespirit recreation). I don't have experience with iKamper and FSR, but they seem very popular in all the youtube videos. Thule wanted to get into the RTT business and saw that Tepui was a very good brand, so they bought out Tepui recently.

I've been planning my trip out west. So I met this pretty brazilian girl back in January when I was on vacation. She would fly in with her bike a few days before departure and stay with me the entire trip. Her and her dad have a bike shop in brazil so she was able to find some mountain bike suggestions from some people. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. Here's what I have so far:

• Day 1: Drive from Long Island, NY to Davenport, IA (approximately 16 hours)
  • Day 2: Drive from Davenport, IA to Crested Butte, CO (approximately 16 hours)
Crested Butte, CO:

• Day 3: Bike ‘401 Trail’
  • Day 4: Bike ‘Doctor Park’
Black Canyon, CO:

• Day 5: Drive ‘North Rim’ at Black Canyon for a great view
Telluride, CO:

• Day 6: 4x4 ‘Imogene Pass’ and stay in primitive camp spot
  • Day 7: Bike ‘Telluride Bike Park’ or 4x4 ‘Alpine Loop’
Montrose, CO to Moab, UT

• Day 8: 4x4 Rimrocker trail and stay in primitive camp spot
  • Day 9: 4x4 Rimrocker trail and stay in primitive camp spot
  • Day 10: 4x4 finish Rimrocker Trail and set up camp in moab
Moab, UT:

• Day 11: Bike ‘Whole enchilada’ (shuttle)
  • Day 12: Rent a side-by-side (Optional)
  • Day 13: Bike ‘Slick rock’ and 4x4 ‘White Rim’ clockwise starting at Schafer switchbacks. Camp overnight at Murphy’s. Campsite has a giant rock for shade and great views.
  • Day 14: (Optional)
Leave Saturday, June 19th:

• Day 15: Drive to Columbia, MO (approximately 16 hours)
  • Day 16: Drive to Long Island, NY (approximately 16 hours)

And some pictures from the weekend:
It sags a lot with the boat and tent so I will do bilstein 5100's all around and firestone air bags in the rear. The air bags raise the rear 3/4" so I will adjust the front strut to raise like 1-1/2".

View attachment 136060View attachment 136061
View attachment 136066
View attachment 136062
Moab is hot in June and those are both fairly tough rides, go early & bring a lot of water. Whole enchilada was a lot more work than I expected being mostly downhill.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Moab is hot in June and those are both fairly tough rides, go early & bring a lot of water. Whole enchilada was a lot more work than I expected being mostly downhill.
Yeah i'm aware it will be hot. But we can't go sooner because Colorado could potentially have a lot of snow and Rimrocker trail could be impassable. So September/October could be a better month. I'm short on patience though lol

I'm an intermediate rider and can do some diamond technical trails, but I suffer with endurance.
The girl is really good with endurance (40 mile rides, does crossfit), but doesn't know technical trails. I'll be in brazil in a few months and we will ride some trails. It will be a perfect time to teach her some more technical things. Her dad has a carbon scott spark that I can ride. I figure if we can ride in brazil summer, then we can ride in moab summer. We're both accustomed to hot weather.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you ride slickrock or other trails? Worth it? or should we check out some national parks instead?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you ride slickrock or other trails? Worth it? or should we check out some national parks instead?
I’ve done slickrock twice. It’s not my absolute favorite ride there but it is one of a kind and it’s so unique and crazy looking that I feel like it’s one you have to do when you go there. It’s cool to see the Jeeps and dirt bikes getting crazy on the same trail too.

It’s quite a bit of very steep but short ups & downs. The rock is so rough that you have enough traction to ride up anything but I’m not that strong of a climber so I end up pushing up some of the hills.

I would consider renting some bigger suspension bikes for whole enchilada. I have a carbon stumpjumper & I rented something a little more heavy duty last time & it was pretty nice. It can be a rough trail and it’s loooong.