• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Shopping - Update: now with build, bikes, and colorado

Which mid-size truck? (please read first)

• Tacoma

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll wager a frosty cold barley pop of your choosing that he wants to go back to a fullsize once he "downsizes" to a mid-size pickup. :D :D
I don't know.. He downsized from a 26ft cruiser to a 18ft center console 5 years ago and he's happy with it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
2%? Wow that is an incredible rate. What credit union are you using? My credit score is 800 and my credit union is only offering 40k @ 3.14% for 72 months and they are known for having great rates.

He didn't tell me anything about employee pricing. I saw it on the website as shown below. Some of these older salesmen are good at giving the bull****, it's tough going into these dealers because us (the buyer) buy a car maybe ever 3-5 years while these guys are a master of the craft they've honed out their bull**** over a decade. This particular dealer was in a expensive neighborhood and asked me "where do you live?" all these guys are measuring my wallet.
View attachment 134700

That screen didn't pop-up, but under Incentives it shows the starting employee price for model (excluding Rubicon/Mojave). If your still considering Jeep, your best bet is build what you want on the website and locate a few within your given radius. It's taken me 10 years to really become good at dealing with car sales guys. Biggest thing I have learned is that you hold all leverage, never fall in love with a single car, and always be willing to walk. Sometimes you win pretty quick, sometimes it takes a few months.

Last year we did 1.9% on my wifes car, figured rates would be at least same right now. Our current credit union is doing 2.75% and I'm pretty sure you get another .25% off that for auto draft. Should be able to find 2% with some homework.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That screen didn't pop-up, but under Incentives it shows the starting employee price for model (excluding Rubicon/Mojave). If your still considering Jeep, your best bet is build what you want on the website and locate a few within your given radius. It's taken me 10 years to really become good at dealing with car sales guys. Biggest thing I have learned is that you hold all leverage, never fall in love with a single car, and always be willing to walk. Sometimes you win pretty quick, sometimes it takes a few months.

Last year we did 1.9% on my wifes car, figured rates would be at least same right now. Our current credit union is doing 2.75% and I'm pretty sure you get another .25% off that for auto draft. Should be able to find 2% with some homework.
Okay I see it. The main screen has "up to $5042 off (overland)" so its only saying the overland has the maximum discount. The fine print says that through chrysler capital 3.9%. But that interest is still less than the $5042. I'll try calling a few jeep dealers today

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Okay I see it. The main screen has "up to $5042 off (overland)" so its only saying the overland has the maximum discount. The fine print says that through chrysler capital 3.9%. But that interest is still less than the $5042. I'll try calling a few jeep dealers today
I do know with Ram, I have heard of people getting the heavy discounts with the 0%/72month. That would probably take some work, but may be doable.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Always strong opinions when you start asking "what truck do I get"? Or when you ask "how do I get the best deal"? In the end, get what suites your needs and get what you like. Someone will always get a better deal than you, someone will always pay less or have a lower rate. It is just how it is. On the other hand, there are also others who paid more or have higher rates. If you are satisfied in the end, then you did good. If you did your homework and feel you did the best you could with the information you have at the time, then leave it at that and sleep well at night.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm here now working out details on a new tacoma. I found a dealer in NYC that sells a lot of fleet cars and happened to have the tacoma im looking for. Theyre giving me a good trade in on my pathfinder considering it needs a $1500 valve body. Probably I would've made an extra $1000 by fixing it and selling it, but thats too much aggravation dealing with facebook window shoppers.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Okay so I feel that I got a fair deal and everyone was down to earth at this dealer. Without much trouble, they gave me 6% off MSRP, the $1000 rebate, $5000 trade in for my 2010 pathfinder, and they beat my credit unions rate and gave me 2.94% for 72 months.

The $5000 trade in counts for $5432 off with the included tax savings. Other dealers only offered me $3000. I always try to squeeze out every penny, but I can't in good conscience sell this truck without paying $1500 for a valve body and $200 to replace the faulty TPMS. So $5432+$1500+$200= $7132 I would need to sell that truck to break even. KBB value is $8500 and I don't think I want to deal with those people.

An interest thing happened. I heard a familiar voice and it was a pretty girl that worked at the dealer I bought the Pathfinder 2 years ago! I said "I know you.. you worked at..." and she recognized me right away. The funny thing is, I had gotten her number last time and we were talking until she stopped. 2 months later her fiance was messaging me all pissed off. Good thing for the mask requirement because it was hiding my laughter!! There was a ring this time!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats dude. Sounds like a good deal.

I totally get trading instead of selling outright. Sometimes the hassle saved is worth the money spent!

NOW.....Lets talk mods :D :D

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Always easier to trade, glad you got what you wanted.

As 2kwit said, time to turn this into a build thread now.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
lol i'm going to give myself some time. Before delivery of the car I was obsessing over LED headlights, different grill, tail lights etc. but now the car is in my posession and i'm happy with the OEM look. In the short term i'm going to change the running boards and buy a tailgate bike pad. Next spring will be a bed rack and tent mounted on top.

I'm going to brazil in December to see a girl that I met on my florida vacation. Her family owns a bike shop there so we will do sight seeing and night club in Rio de Jainero, mountain biking, and jet ski with a mutual friend in San Salvador. And here's the cool thing, if everything works out, she will come to the USA in the spring and we will do a bike & overland trip to colorado/utah.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lol i'm going to give myself some time. Before delivery of the car I was obsessing over LED headlights, different grill, tail lights etc. but now the car is in my posession and i'm happy with the OEM look. In the short term i'm going to change the running boards and buy a tailgate bike pad. Next spring will be a bed rack and tent mounted on top.

I'm going to brazil in December to see a girl that I met on my florida vacation. Her family owns a bike shop there so we will do sight seeing and night club in Rio de Jainero, mountain biking, and jet ski with a mutual friend in San Salvador. And here's the cool thing, if everything works out, she will come to the USA in the spring and we will do a bike & overland trip to colorado/utah.
You and I sir live VERY VERY different lives. Sounds like a helluva plan.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You and I sir live VERY VERY different lives. Sounds like a helluva plan.
lol this all started off as just a crazy idea and over time it just became less crazy and it's my 1st time leaving the country. The past few years has been a blessing for me.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok ok.. How do I change the thread title to "Truck Shopping - Update: build thread!" This $5000 list will probably change a lot, but it's a good baseline! Id like to find ways to reduce that.. I don't need anything until next year so i'll put alerts on the classifieds to find some things used. I'm thinking to go without a tonneau cover which saves me money. Then I can put the mountain bikes, without wheels, in the cab where they're safe. The other expensive items like cooler and grill can get locked up in the bed.

I've been researching A LOT about Colorado and Utah so that's on the plan. Also I can visit my sister and niece in Greer, SC. I'm told there are some great spots there for hiking/biking and I can bring the boat too.

$349 KB Voodoo Crossbars
$140 RockyMounts Tie Rod Bike Mount
$1200 Thule Tepui Explorer Ayer 2
$1019 265/75r16 BFGoodrich KO2 $204.63x4 50x4 installation
$495 Bilstein 6112 47-255074
$380 Bilstein 5160
$215 Icon 1.5" AAL
$192 Superflow MV-9012 Air Compressor
$92 Audew 2000a Jumper Pack Audew 2000A Peak 20000mAh Car Jump Starter for All Gas Engines or Up To 8.5L Diesel Engines with LCD Power Display
$50 Walmart camp chairs x2
$25 Coffee Percolator on Amazon
$150 RTIC 52 Ultralight Cooler
$40 Camp Chef Mesa Aluminum Camp Table
$27 Walmart 5gallon water containers x2

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Which Wranglers? I wouldn’t touch anything under Duratrac. For a little cheaper I love the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Have you thought about other tonneau types? The roll up is my favorite but also not cheap. Either way all the way up you only loose a few inches of bed.

one last thought, I would go RTIC 52 over 65, cubic feet is nearly identical and it is significantly lighter and much cheaper. Of course they are hard to buy right now, but I love my 52.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Helluva list there for certain. Good times ahead with that level of kit.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
one last thought, I would go RTIC 52 over 65, cubic feet is nearly identical and it is significantly lighter and much cheaper. Of course they are hard to buy right now, but I love my 52.
Good point. I just looked this up and I think the RTIC 52 would fit my needs better. I updated my list.

Have you thought about other tonneau types? The roll up is my favorite but also not cheap. Either way all the way up you only loose a few inches of bed.
Roll up definitely would be my choice. I'll see what my budget is next year. I'm stuck between YOLO and "I need to be a responsible adult"

Which Wranglers? I wouldn’t touch anything under Duratrac. For a little cheaper I love the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
Yeah i'm looking at the duratrac or the KO2's. Below is a picture of a nice set up with KO2's and 3" lift. This a simple rig and my thought is this: You know what is "tacticool" in gun culture? I think some of these overland set ups with $10k in gear and accessories are the equivalent. This truck keeps it simple.

cec37d6541bce1a6d4d452f5a232c429 (1).jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good point. I just looked this up and I think the RTIC 52 would fit my needs better. I updated my list.

Roll up definitely would be my choice. I'll see what my budget is next year. I'm stuck between YOLO and "I need to be a responsible adult"

Yeah i'm looking at the duratrac or the KO2's. Below is a picture of a nice set up with KO2's and 3" lift. This a simple rig and my thought is this: You know what is "tacticool" in gun culture? I think some of these overland set ups with $10k in gear and accessories are the equivalent. This truck keeps it simple.

View attachment 135111
I’ve run several sets of Duratracs on 17” and 20” wheels and they work great off-road and in snow and they last a long time. The 17s felt a little squirmy but I got used to it. They get pretty loud when the tread gets worn about half way.
My latest set are Falken wildpeaks and they are also great off road, very quiet after about 12,000 miles, and quite a bit more affordable.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@I_squared_r You've got me looking at overlanding stuff now. Damn this site likes to spend my money for me :D :D

Found this version of my truck, and it looks pretty awesome. No idea where I would go to use it, but that's a separate "Google-quest". This is essentially my truck with a rack system, tent, awning, and new front bumper with winch. Might have a level kit on the front as well, hard to tell. Anywho, it looks great and like a fun time for the weekend. Just need some Mt. Bikes hanging off the side.

1602423093315.png

In reference to tires.......I have KO2's on my truck now. They have worn like they are made from steel. Bought the truck with 36k miles with these tires brand new. I'm at 105.5k miles now, 36mo later, and I still have a few 32nd's of tread left. At least enough that I can run them for a few more months. Hoping to replace around the first of the year. When new they were fantastic in terms of traction. off road traction is exceptionally good. On road wasn't terrible, with wet traction on pavement being absolutely horrid. They look amazing. As they age, they have gotten worse and worse, to the point I hate them now, and most likely won't ever buy them again. They are loud and borderline dangerous in the wet. Freeway entrance and exit ramps have to be taken at the posted speed or below to maintain traction. I won't pull out in traffic in the rain without the use of "auto" 4wd engaged. I won't let the wife drive the truck in the rain. They've also grown increasingly louder as they wear. I mean like I need 50%+ stereo volume to get past the noise at 55+mph. I rotated them by hand last week for the first time. OMG they are heavy. Granted I run a 275/55/20, and that's a large tire to begin with, these are absurdly heavy. I measured my wheel/tire combination at just shy of 110lbs. Tirerack lists my KO2's at 55lb. Most of the other AT's in my size are closer to 35-40lbs. So, be aware of that and how unsprung mass affects acceleration, braking, and suspension dynamics. WIth all that said, they have been tough as nails the few times I've taken them off road. LARGE piece gravel on construction sites, backwoods "farmer trails" between fields, creek crossings, and things like that seem to mostly unphase them. I've driven in a few places in 2wd, and not realized it until I went to disengage it, only to find I never engaged it to begin with. If you spend a good deal of time offroad, they might be great. For my mixed use, with a lean towards commuting and towing............I'm going to be moving to a little less aggressive Continental Terrain Contact AT's. They're a little lighter, have great reviews, and are slightly less aggressive overall. probably a better fit for my use case.