• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trying to diagnose engine problem

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its been a while since I provided an update on this so here goes.

My mechanic tested a bunch of parts to determine why I'm not getting any spark from the plugs (e.g. The stator, all sensors, etc.). Through process of Elimination he thinks the cdi has gone bad. He could not check it by using the cdi from my other ski since it has a 160hp motor and a different part number. Initially he thought this would be an easy and inexpensive problem to fix, just buy a used one online and drop it in the vault. As it turns out there are no used ones currently available, he is recommending that I get a cdi with the same part number.

I will buy a new cdi if I can't find a used one this offseason, it costs $1,029 a yamaha sports plaza and this is the best price I could find. I did a compression test last night and it came back at 180 psi in the first three cylinders and 170 to 175 psi in the 4th. By the way, normally I wouldn't be concerned with the small difference in readings on the 4th cylinder since when Ive checked on previous skis it was to see if the cylinder had gone bad and it was always clear if and which one did as the bad cylinder would be off by at least 50%. Here I'm not sure if about a 3% to 5% difference in pressure could mean I have blown head gasket or bad exhaust manifold. More for me to check in the off season. I suppose.

This ski was down most of this past season, it's nickeled and dimed me to death for the past two seasons and its cost me plenty of water time as well but it's still cheaper for me to repair than replace. For example, I may be able to find a comparable used ski for $3k to $4k and new one is $13k to $14k.