• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

tube face spray

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
So maybe you guys can help me with this. I need a 70’ tow rope for the tube. I can find 50’ and 60’ lines. I cant find any extensions other than a 3’ bungee. Does anyone have a source or solution? I wpuld combine ropes like above if i could even find a short 10-15’ extension

Shir9406

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
This is after I already had 60 foot of rope… which came with the booster ball.. but you get what I’m saying…

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I purchase white woven nylon rope and make my own doing the ends is pretty easy.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Anyone ever use multiple bungee's? Maybe one at the boat and another at the attach point on the raft to get that extra length when stretched? I've been using 1 for about 5 yrs now and it helps a little but the blast is annoying.

I think i'll grab a couple for next season and try that for the extra 10'

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So maybe you guys can help me with this. I need a 70’ tow rope for the tube. I can find 50’ and 60’ lines. I cant find any extensions other than a 3’ bungee. Does anyone have a source or solution? I wpuld combine ropes like above if i could even find a short 10-15’ extension
I ran into the same issue. Seems there are new regulations for towing tubes...50-60 ft. I bought a 60 ft rope and purchased the 5 ft bungee to add on. It's 3 feet but stretches to 5. All I could find. I believe 70 ft is too long for tubing, legally.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've been thinking about buying the shock ball, any experience with that here?

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I did the same. Bought two ropes and just cut one of them to add to my tube rope. I hate taking the tube with. The rope is always a da*m mess and it takes up all the room.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I ran into the same issue. Seems there are new regulations for towing tubes...50-60 ft. I bought a 60 ft rope and purchased the 5 ft bungee to add on. It's 3 feet but stretches to 5. All I could find. I believe 70 ft is too long for tubing, legally.
I think you are correct regarding rope length. According to the "American Tubing Association of America" 😎 65' is the legal max length but who is going to check if its 70'. But you start using 100' tow rope someone is going to notice.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Am I missing something, or are folks just making this way too complicated?

When we wanted a shorter or longer rope, we literally tied an overhand knot at the length we wanted and looped the rope over the tow point. Problem solved. When we wanted a longer rope, we used the two loops (which all tow ropes have on each end from the factory) and they were connected. no knots, no nothing. And again, used and overhand knot/loop to put over the tow point. And that loop can be put in the middle of a section of rope at 5ft, 10ft, 20ft or whatever you need on that particular day.

This must come from our days of water skiing, when you took off lengths when running a slalom course. But those ropes you literally unlooped a section to take 10' off. Our wake ropes come the same way. Use that same theory here.

We never went out in search of 5 or 10ft of tow rope. Or bought generic rope and cut it to length. When you leave tow ropes whole, they become whatever you need them to be for the task at hand. With very simple knots that come out in seconds, but hold all day when needed.

And when it comes to storing the excess rope, you use a velcro cord minder and lash it to the tower till done. Or when in storage, no tangles or mess. Work smarter, not harder guys. This is far from rocket science.

I would say our tube ropes are hanging from the center of the tower more than stowed on a tubing day, as it's a great place to drip dry, and will never get tangled when managed.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I just ended up buying 100’ of hollow braided polyethylene rope and will just cut to length and make loops on the end like biff said.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you go buy your rope be mindful that it is rated for what you are going to use it for. Ropes that can't handle it and snap can cause injury or worse.

For pulling large multi person tubes, actually all of my tubes, I have 3, 4k ropes, nothing less - for up to 4 riders. (Minimum 4100 lbs strength) My length is 60' on each, so I keep a spare on board. I also use a quick connect, if the tube doesn't have one. Lastly I have the 4k bungee, which I use on certain tubes. My tow ropes both came in two sections, a 50' and 10'. So when I want to get to 70', which is what I tow at, I use the 10' section off the backup one and add it.

Amazon.com : Airhead 2-Section Tow Rope | 1-4 Rider Rope for Towable Tubes, One Size (AHTR-42) : Waterskiing Ropes And Handles : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : AIRHEAD KWIK-TEK Bungee Tube Rope Extension, red (AHTRB-3) : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Airhead Tow Rope | 1-4 Rider Rope for Towable Tubes Multi, 9/16" : Waterskiing Ropes And Handles : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: AIRHEAD KWIK-CONNECT : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Can you link the regulation? I can't seem to find it.
I can't find the article I researched a few months ago, but according to the WISA, 65 ft is max. I read where they made the change because tubers have no little to no steering control and were getting injured being to close to shore or docks. A water skier has much more control. Here's all I could find, I'll keep searching. I know years ago when I had my Sanger, we used a 100 ft rope for everything. Young and dumb. I never drove that boat sober either. What an idiot.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
When you go buy your rope be mindful that it is rated for what you are going to use it for. Ropes that can't handle it and snap can cause injury or worse.

For pulling large multi person tubes, actually all of my tubes, I have 3, 4k ropes, nothing less - for up to 4 riders. (Minimum 4000 lbs strength) My length is 60' on each, so I keep a spare on board. I also use a quick connect, if the tube doesn't have one. Lastly I have the 4k bungee, which I use on certain tubes. My tow ropes both came in two sections, a 50' and 10'. So when I want to get to 70', which is what I tow at, I use the 10' section off the backup one and add it.

Amazon.com : Airhead 2-Section Tow Rope | 1-4 Rider Rope for Towable Tubes, One Size (AHTR-42) : Waterskiing Ropes And Handles : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : AIRHEAD KWIK-TEK Bungee Tube Rope Extension, red (AHTRB-3) : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Airhead Tow Rope | 1-4 Rider Rope for Towable Tubes Multi, 9/16" : Waterskiing Ropes And Handles : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: AIRHEAD KWIK-CONNECT : Sports & Outdoors
That's what I did. I plan on using the 4k. So it covers 1-4 riders. I haven't towed anyone for years, so I'm starting with a 2 person Mable and go from there.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ended up buying 100’ of hollow braided polyethylene rope and will just cut to length and make loops on the end like biff said.
Be careful. Most of the Hollow Braided Polyethylene rope that I have or have seen is around 1000 lbs Tensile strength. I personally wouldn't use it to tow tubes. Check the tensile strength. A rope snapping on a tube can create a slingshot affect and accelerate the tube and in a direction that you don't want it to go.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes i got 1/2” which i believe is 3000lbs. Hollow braided poly is what the airhead ropes i have are so should be ok for 1-2 people.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
so my rope came in today. i ended up going to this place.

www.sgtknots.com

the 1/2" polypropylene hollow braided is the exact same thing as my airhead lines rated for 3 people. they have 5/8 and bigger but looks like its out of stock currently. i got the order and it even came with the tool to put the loop in the end and a tutorial link. i didnt think it would be that easy to do. takes less than a min to put a loop on then ends. @ $21 for a 100ft of line thats way cheaper than the premade tube ropes also. i ended up making a 75' line without splicing a bunch of pieces together

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you link the exact line you used from them, they have different ones. Could end up picking up some of that for next season. The only one I could find there was rated for 2,600 lbs in 1/2" Unfortunately all the 5/8" is out of stock which is what I would probably get. The price is great.

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
sure. what you are looking it is the right thing and what i got. when the 5/8 becomes available i may get a length of that as well. i usually only tow 1-2 small kids so the 1/2 should be fine for me. this 1/2" feels the same or a little beefier than my airhead line i have had for years now so should be good. i would send the guy an email and ask about the 5/8 if that what your looking for. maybe it will come back in stock soon.