• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

tube face spray

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi. I recently bought a used 2013 Yamaha AR190. I have always had traditional stern drive boats. I love this jet boat but have a problem pulling tubers. The spray off the back just smashes everyone in the face. It's not enjoyable especially for the younger kids, 10 year olds. I have a pretty long rope, i think it's at least 75 ft. Any way to cut down the spray? Don't really want to get a longer rope.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
1. Especially for younger ones, take one good turn and put them outside of your wake.
2. Are you sure you have the 75'? I don't know what the lengths are on my rope, but I know it was a red one with a yellow extension, and the extension made all the difference in the world.
https://jet.com/product/product/20190c2b8d124abf981c3627e5f9be42?jcmp=pla:ggl:sporting_goods_a3:outdoor_recreation_boating_water_sports_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=2dc1cbb3-a92b-466c-9387-c4a7338ef991&kpid=20190c2b8d124abf981c3627e5f9be42&gclid=CIPP84mk9scCFQataQodfiAN-Q
Looks like 50' and 60' when adding the rope.
Other than that, not really a whole lot can be done. Steal adjustable trim from a jet ski perhaps?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks @Evil Sports for the good link. I just grabbed the first thing with a picture, lol

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Lee18 : First of all, a BIG WELCOME here !!!!!!!!!! :Welcome:

2nd of all: There is 1 totally PROVEN way to eliminate rope spray when tubing. Guaranteed !
Gonna cost ya a couple bucks, but IT WORKS !
Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/SPORTSSTUFF-53-2030-Booster-Ball-Towables/dp/B001Q98TNY
ball.jpg
Good Luck - Pls let us know how you are enjoying this !
And let's see some photos of your pretty boat !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

MJL529

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use a standard 60" rope and added 20' section with a hitch knot. Seems to get tube/rider just beyound the jet wash and make the ride much better

MJL529

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi. I recently bought a used 2013 Yamaha AR190. I have always had traditional stern drive boats. I love this jet boat but have a problem pulling tubers. The spray off the back just smashes everyone in the face. It's not enjoyable especially for the younger kids, 10 year olds. I have a pretty long rope, i think it's at least 75 ft. Any way to cut down the spray? Don't really want to get a longer rope.
I use a standard 60" rope and added 20' section (supply co. cut rope and heat welded ends ) with a hitch knot. Seems to get tube/rider just beyound the jet wash and make the ride much better

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Goggles for the tubers!
I had poor experience with that booster ball with my 242. Could not get it up out of the "wave" area of my wake...probably needed to put it back further...but if I put the tube back that far anyway, the problem of spray was solved.
Also, spray problem for me seems to be tube dependent. No issue on the couch. Need to drop the one man tube back a little.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also expect that the jet wash issue will be bigger for the single engine boats...my theory being....that the one engine will need to be at a much higher RPM to gain the same speed as those with twins....and as such the jet wash will throw back further.....

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just added the extra 20' and that approach has worked great for years.

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses. And thanks for the welcome. I was incorrect. My rope is actually 60ft. First I will try adding length as it sounds like some of you have had success with that. If it still doesn't work I will try something more drastic. I expect Julian may be correct that the single engine may put out more wash than twin engines. It's a pretty aggressive spray. I will try and get a picture or several up when I can.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
At 60' your rope is too short....most tube ropes are 65, and many add 10-15 to that and this solves the problem. This thread also has some useful info on ropes for you. I love my booster ball too. Keeps the rope from dragging and spraying as it passes through the wake.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/jet-spray-on-tubers.6338/

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we use a 75' rope and have no problems with spray. Shorter than 75' yes everyone gets peppered with water

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just added the extra 20' and that approach has worked great for years.
When you added the Ball, where did you put it? Just on the end nearest the Tube? Thanks!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You do realize this thread is 4 years old just a reminder, here is the magic numbers, props pull forward so a 60 foot rope is just fine but jets push so they need about a 75 foot rope, also the tubes need to be inflated hard so to finish off the inflation you use a hand operated pump ,
AIRHEAD Double Action Hand Pump
similar to this very inexpensive and very effective, once you have the tube inflated hard and the rope length correct you can do tubing without spraying people down if you want the best tubing add some of my full time steering to the boat and have a blast I tow 2 tubes with 5 people using a jet ski and stand on the seat driving with no hands or steer with my feet doing that so if A P W C can do it, you can be sure a boat can do it.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When you added the Ball, where did you put it? Just on the end nearest the Tube? Thanks!
These guys were not getting spray from the rope, they were getting it from the jet. A booster ball will not solve that issue, but does help with rope spray. Those guys had boats with towers and were towing high, so the booster ball was of no help at all then. They do work for those that tow low.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First time buying all this stuff.... I'm planning to tow low just because that's what I'm used to and there was talk of putting a lot of torque on the tower w/ towables. If you get one of the 60' ropes w/ the Ball on it are you good or do you need 75' no matter what? If it's 75', any guidance on where to get it? Do you just add 15' somehow to a 60'? Everything I've seen so far are 60'.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time buying all this stuff.... I'm planning to tow low just because that's what I'm used to and there was talk of putting a lot of torque on the tower w/ towables. If you get one of the 60' ropes w/ the Ball on it are you good or do you need 75' no matter what? If it's 75', any guidance on where to get it? Do you just add 15' somehow to a 60'? Everything I've seen so far are 60'.
I've got 1 of these left in stock. It comes with the 60' length, I think most end up adding to it. If you're interested let me know and I'll message you a discount code.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like I have same boat as you. My kids (and wife) say the spray from the jets (or rope) isn’t a problem on this boat. We have a typical 60’ rope and use primarily a 2 or 3 person style tube. This boat sits much lower in the water than my previous 2011, and as such the spray isn’t near as bad as it used to be.

I would advise giving it a try before purchasing extra goodies that may not be necessary.