• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tune Amp with Preamp EQ

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those that have a preamp EQ installed how did you go about setting the gains on your amp?

I currently have my 5 channel amp tuned off of the stock JBL head unit with 2v preamp voltage that was done using the multimeter method. The EQ I am putting in has a 7V preamp voltage. The EQ has a main volume knob as well as a subwoofer volume knob. When tuning each would I set the volume on the head unit to ~75%-80% and set the main volume on the EQ to the same and go from there?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This may not be the correct way, but I had my tower speaker amp tuned from the outputs straight from the head unit. 80% volume on head unit and gain on amp just below distortion. When I installed an EQ I kept the volume knob at center detent (didn't use the sub out), adjusted EQ to my taste, then raised the volume knob until 80% volume on head unit was just below distortion.

I then set my volume limiter on the headunit for all channels (boat, tower, and sub) to be slightly below distortion at 100% volume on the volume knob. This lets me get the most out of the system if I want to push without distortion.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you both @scokill and @swatski. Just the info I was looking for.

Do you all use the EQ for volume or do you use the head unit?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Head unit. My EQ is tucked away under the helm...and it is just for my tower speakers. My boat speakers sound great flat from head unit and tuned with the high pass filter.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Volume, but I'm only installing it because of tower speakers and zoning issues otherwise. I am in a Connext boat though. I generally like Connext, but hate going through screens to get to the volume, and my HU is actually in the swim platform...

--