• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Turning Radius on AR192

Kasmiller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All,
We have had our 2016 AR912 for 1 year now. First boat so still new to boating but loving it. We have found that our boat only makes super wide turns. When doing any speed where we create a wake we have to turn super wide. We are on a private lake so this makes pulling anything difficult as we have to drop speed to make a turn anywhere but the widest part of the lake. Normal? Suggestions to make this better?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If your boat is stock without aftermarket components for steering you may want to look into those. My 192 stock was lacking in maneuvering at low speeds, especially around the docks. And with a little wind it only exacerbated the issue. Check out cobra jet steering or thrust vector systems. For reverse maneuvering, I have installed lateral thrusters. Now at low speeds, with a little wind, I have better control. At higher and lower speeds they act like skegs and grip the water allowing for better control at all speeds.
The newer jet boats have adopted this technology into their design since the aftermarket systems became available.
For a single engine set up, cost is reasonable considering any gelcoat repairs from lack of steering control. If your not mechanical, you can install them with the assistance of YouTube videos.
There is plenty of information covering this topic on the forum.

Last edited:

Kasmiller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your boat is stock without aftermarket components for steering you may want to look into those. My 192 stock was lacking in maneuvering at low speeds, especially around the docks. And with a little wind it only exacerbated the issue. Check out cobra jet steering or thrust vector systems. For reverse maneuvering, I have installed lateral thrusters. Now at low speeds with a little wind, I have better control. At higher and lower speeds they act like skegs and grip the water allowing for better control at all speeds.
The newer jet boats have adopted this technology into their design since the aftermarket systems became available.
For a single engine set up, cost is reasonable considering any gelcoat repairs from lack of steering control. If your not mechanical, you can install them with the assistance of YouTube videos.
There is plenty of information covering this topic on the forum.
We do have a thrust vector added and it has an articulating keel. Low speed maneuvering is pretty good it’s th faster speeds. The only way to make a tight turn is to stop speed and then we can make a tight turn. Would the cobra steering help with this?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Sorry, I am less familiar with that system. I ave thrust vectors as well.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We do have a thrust vector added and it has an articulating keel. Low speed maneuvering is pretty good it’s th faster speeds. The only way to make a tight turn is to stop speed and then we can make a tight turn. Would the cobra steering help with this?
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC system works at speed. Get them, you won't be disappointed. I can make a pretty sharp turn with no problem at all on my 195

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The trick is you have to give it more throttle to go faster than the speed you are traveling while turning, more RPMs than before the turn, no throttle no turn....No gas no squeegy!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC system works at speed. Get them, you won't be disappointed. I can make a pretty sharp turn with no problem at all on my 195
Thank you here is a video sent to me by a customer with a similar 19 foot boat and my super ultimate ak-19 deluxe. faster hole shot smoother ride very quick turning at speed no need to add throttle just drive it like any other boat and enjoy it. Get control at ALL speeds from docking to W O T plus adjustable settings and spring loaded and more for only $268.99 with free domestic priority mail, https://fb.watch/dMr4yZ8EDA/ Easy installation and no plastic parts etc. 30 day satisfaction guarantee . One of several model specific steering systems from cobrajetsteering.com

Attachments

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the Cobra Viper on our SX195. The Viper system is always in the water and provides great steering at any speed. In fact, sharp turns at high speed will damn near throw you out the boat! :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The history of my steering is that it makes the boats handle like a sports car on a dry road . All my systems are all time steering if you wish and I always recommend it be set that way but some people just have to learn the hard way sometimes.
I always say steering at the dock is easy forward or reverse it's the speed bleed-off in turns when up on plane or the complete loss of control if you slow down rapidly during a fast turn or being able to tack large waves as well as removing the bow wander and all the other features built into my systems without all the drawbacks . The super ultimate ak-19 deluxe is just as effective if you saw the customers video I posted a couple times and the twin engine systems are so effective at all speeds @swatski made a few videos like donuts in reverse doing an S turn with no thrust the U turn at W O T was totally extreme. I always say it's the class of whatever year it happens to be and the students come in with very little real knowledge. Happens every year. Over 20 years of making jet boats steer and drivers smile. It's what I do!