• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Twin Engine turning

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These are 100% not driven like an outboard or stern drive. Without rudder, you need thrust to turn. So even though some giggled at the suggestion to drive it like a waverunner, it is dead nuts on.

If you want this thing to out turn an outdrive, you need to save a bit of throttle at all times. And instead of lowering your throttle when turning the wheel, you increase thottle. Thrust creates turning power. A rudder is a bandaid for jets. And don't let me downplay the fins, as they are an amazing bandaid for the design of the jets, as it gives you that "rudder" effect. (I've had them on my last two boats, and bought three sets!) But this can be accomplished by using throttle. Save some for when you need it.

First rule of thumb, when it doubt, throttle out. Not the safest suggestion, but it is when practiced in open water.

Good luck

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
These are 100% not driven like an outboard or stern drive. Without rudder, you need thrust to turn. So even though some giggled at the suggestion to drive it like a waverunner, it is dead nuts on.

If you want this thing to out turn an outdrive, you need to save a bit of throttle at all times. And instead of lowering your throttle when turning the wheel, you increase thottle. Thrust creates turning power. A rudder is a bandaid for jets. And don't let me downplay the fins, as they are an amazing bandaid for the design of the jets, as it gives you that "rudder" effect. (I've had them on my last two boats, and bought three sets!) But this can be accomplished by using throttle. Save some for when you need it.

First rule of thumb, when it doubt, throttle out. Not the safest suggestion, but it is when practiced in open water.

Good luck
so basically ride it like a dirt bike.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, I am debating between the JetBoatPilot Thrust Vector X & The Cobra super magnum ak-19 system. I was originally going to go with the JetBoatPilot due to the advantage for slow cruising steering, now I am hearing that Cobra can do both. Guess I have an interesting decision to make.

As for driving like a waverunner, that will be interesting. I bought a leftover 2019 in December from the dealer I bought my 242 from last season, so it looks like I have some fun practice time ahead of me starting in late May.....

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, I am debating between the JetBoatPilot Thrust Vector X & The Cobra super magnum ak-19 system. I was originally going to go with the JetBoatPilot due to the advantage for slow cruising steering, now I am hearing that Cobra can do both. Guess I have an interesting decision to make.

As for driving like a waverunner, that will be interesting. I bought a leftover 2019 in December from the dealer I bought my 242 from last season, so it looks like I have some fun practice time ahead of me starting in late May.....

You just opened up the biggest can of worms that gets brought up each season multiple times. Drive it stock first, so that you can appreciate what you add in the future. Both make great products, but drive it stock first. You cannot make a wrong decision, so don't worry yourself over it.

If I want to have the smoothest turns for my guest, I leave the throttle and just steer. If I want to remind someone to hang on, put a bit of throttle behind that same turn, and your boat goes up on it's side and carves a corner. This is not to be done with guests that are not paying attention. You will put them on the floor.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You just opened up the biggest can of worms that gets brought up each season multiple times. Drive it stock first, so that you can appreciate what you add in the future. Both make great products, but drive it stock first. You cannot make a wrong decision, so don't worry yourself over it.

/QUOTE]

I had the boat all last season, and put a decent amount of hours on her. Just looking for improvements. Thanks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The internet is full of opinions but here is the info you need to realize when it comes to adding steering for at all speeds, even without thrust , or during deceleration , or slow speed docking , handling big waves ,strong currents, wind, water sport activities, as well as having several upgrade options. You should do your research. I would remind you that I have several different options for your individual boating needs SUPER ULTIMATE STEERING versions, SUPER MAGNUM STEERING versions , VIPER STEERING versions, for the various boat designs , like original pump and nozzle, later model pump nozzles, Latest model pump and nozzles, Upgrades for your steering systems like MEGA FANG PLUS or TOP FANGS or AK FANGS, this year I have modified my AK and AK-19 systems for TOP FINS , and enlarged side force stabilizers for faster planing and stability in rough conditions, I suggest you start here, https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think there is really much advantage of having the fins up at speed if your boat has an articulating keel. That seems to be the biggest difference between the 2 options.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Just my $0.02......

Your #1 concern was the same as mine. JBP products do not address that issue. It's that simple.

I don't know which product does better at idle speeds, but that wasn't my main concern when I bought my Cobras!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've had both. The Cobras will outperform and out last the Thrusters. Period. Be careful backing up to the beach or sandbar.

I believe they're about the same price too.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dean, slow cruise driving at around 5-10 MPH is my main concern. I am good at faster speeds and now with the thought process of driving her like a wave running on sharp turns, has me really anxious to play with the throttle's like I would the waverunner throttle, and now thinking about it, if I were to throttle up when I'm about to make a sharper turn, wouldn't the fins drop down lower for a better hard turn ???

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Beside the super magnum AK steering system I will also have the super Ultimate for the twin AK 2019 and newer models available this season, The Ultimate system can be set to stay down at speed or go up at speed and it has numerous influence settings that you choose to get the exact amount of steering that is right for you'r boating needs, plus the new optional larger side force stabilizer for better hole shots and hull stability in rough water and a larger top fin for the inside that will work when the boat is off plane in slow speed mode . And for people who already have the original parts and wish to upgrade to some or all of the newest parts they will be available separately like I do now with the super fins for existing systems.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Once the cobra fins are set, they won’t drop any lower into the water but the fin on the inside nozzle in a turn will dig deeper into the water than the other fin.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Ronnie Remember you do not have the same boat or the same steering , The ak super magnum and the ak super ultimate do not have fins in the water in the center that are in the water when the boat is on plane .

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Understood but isn’t what I stated immediately above still true? That is the fin on the pump on the inside of a turn will dig deeper into the water than the other fin.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I get it, I get a kick out of him saying drive the boat like a p w c , I of all people know what a p w c can do. The problem with the keel down the center of the hull is that it works against the boat turning at speed , the keel wants the boat to continue going straight, the speed is greatly reduced by the keel in high speed turns . But I have the answer to those problems as many people already know.