• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

UGH - was just told I need to replace MR1 Starboard engine in 2008 212x (no compression in #4)

Get your boat out of there ASAP. Their diagnosis is extremely improbable if not completely impossible. I can tell you a pretty good story for 10k. Can even add some parts I left out if you don’t believe me (that will be extra).
Complete BS.

Can you tell us what rpm the engines were pushing? And what speeds you were achieving?

Can you tell us what rpm the engines were pushing? And what speeds you were achieving?

mr-1s are supposed to top out around 10,000 rpm in perfect condition.

Under the ridiculous premise that both engines are at full throttle running perfectly with 1/4 of the cylinders down in each engine sounding in sync with no detectable unusual sounds or vibrations, each engine would lose a minimum of 1/4 of its max rpm.

So 7500 rpm. That gets you to a max top speed on plane of about 30mph in perfect conditions on that boat.

That’s why I asked OP if he knows about what the RPM’s were when he was flat out. I’ll also be astounded if both engines were running on 3 cylinders, and able to get the boat much more than on plane. My engines top out at about 9800 RPM, and about 50mph. This whole scenario stinks to high heaven, I’d be telling them I couldn’t justify the expense currently, and bringing it home. Then getting an impartial person/mechanic to run some diagnostics. Heck, if OP is willing to travel a couple hours with the boat, I’d be happy to spend a couple hours myself checking it out. A second opinion is simply a must for as improbable a diagnostic as this.

That’s why I asked OP if he knows about what the RPM’s were when he was flat out. I’ll also be astounded if both engines were running on 3 cylinders, and able to get the boat much more than on plane. My engines top out at about 9800 RPM, and about 50mph. This whole scenario stinks to high heaven, I’d be telling them I couldn’t justify the expense currently, and bringing it home. Then getting an impartial person/mechanic to run some diagnostics. Heck, if OP is willing to travel a couple hours with the boat, I’d be happy to spend a couple hours myself checking it out. A second opinion is simply a must for as improbable a diagnostic as this.
With the boat being new to him, the OP may not realize what normal is for his boat. Especially with one cylinder down in each engine.

I really appreciate the perspective here. Boat is new to me, and I've never owned a Yamaha jet boat before - so I'm down 2 strikes in the context category. I've called everywhere in Northeastern Ohio as far south as Columbus and as far North as Toledo. I can't find a mechanic, shop or Yamaha dealership willing to take a look at it. Either they "don't deal with jets" from the traditional boat mechanic, or "we're not taking new customers" from traditional Yamaha shops and dealerships. SOOOO frustrating. Plus, the shop it's currently in is telling me they're not sure they want to deal with it - in the past they've sent out engine rebuilds, and the "boss" may not want to do that anymore because he doesn't want his name on something down from an outside operation. Said they've been burned by bad outcomes. I'm really in a bind - so driving the boat a couple of hours doesn't sound that unappealing, honestly. Offer hold?

I really appreciate the perspective here. Boat is new to me, and I've never owned a Yamaha jet boat before - so I'm down 2 strikes in the context category. I've called everywhere in Northeastern Ohio as far south as Columbus and as far North as Toledo. I can't find a mechanic, shop or Yamaha dealership willing to take a look at it. Either they "don't deal with jets" from the traditional boat mechanic, or "we're not taking new customers" from traditional Yamaha shops and dealerships. SOOOO frustrating. Plus, the shop it's currently in is telling me they're not sure they want to deal with it - in the past they've sent out engine rebuilds, and the "boss" may not want to do that anymore because he doesn't want his name on something down from an outside operation. Said they've been burned by bad outcomes. I'm really in a bind - so driving the boat a couple of hours doesn't sound that unappealing, honestly. Offer hold?
Where are you located @netcourt?

a jetski shop can also help you, I might start the conversation with " I have a yamaha MR1 HO engine that needs to be rebuilt"

If you say "I have a Boat" they may stop listening and just say "no" whereas if you say your engine they think "sure, we can work on those",

I mean what I say. ;)

Lets start a PM, and see if we can land on a day/time to tinker on it. I've got 8 month old twins, so I've got to make sure I get approval from the Warden (truly my better half) before committing to a specific time.

I mean what I say. ;)

Lets start a PM, and see if we can land on a day/time to tinker on it. I've got 8 month old twins, so I've got to make sure I get approval from the Warden (truly my better half) before committing to a specific time.
I'm happy to help out too. I don't have a compression tester, but I do like to collect tools....

I'm happy to help out too. I don't have a compression tester, but I do like to collect tools....
@mark_m I added you to the conversation I started with him. You're welcome to join as far as I'm concerned. I should have all the tools necessary to run some diagnostics on the engine. I've even got the YDS on a laptop, I'll just have to make sure I take it to work, as I normally keep it at home.

@mark_m I added you to the conversation I started with him. You're welcome to join as far as I'm concerned. I should have all the tools necessary to run some diagnostics on the engine. I've even got the YDS on a laptop, I'll just have to make sure I take it to work, as I normally keep it at home.
I have YDS and the cable too. I think my teenager ran off with my laptop, happy to dig it up if you would like me to.

Before investing in 10 t0 12 grand I would do a small investment in a compression tester lot of knowledgeable guys out hear can walk you through a few tests before a engine swap.

Also someone ask what was your RPM before you went to dealer

Guys, I wanted to circle back on this topic. I'm the OP, even though I've logged in under a different account (forgot my username; started a new one thinking it was the old one....).

After pressing the service dealer on options outside of full replacement, they agreed to send my bad engine to a local machine shop to have the bad cylinder re-bored and then rebuilt. I just got the boat back from the entire process (machine shop, back to dealer - finish work, testing, etc.). It's been almost a year. Total repair bill was around $5K. We dropped the boat in our local lake last night praying that it indeed would fire up correctly - AND IT DID. Both engines now running on all four cylinders. All new spark plugs across the board. the Starboard engine now has a slightly larger 4th cylinder due to the boring/rebuild. After tooling around I opened her up - and Starboard easily reaches 10K rpms - the port gets to around 9500. Previously, we would max out around 7500K (running only 3 cylinders on each side). Extra power and speed were noticeable. Also noticeable was that the general purring/humming of the engines now; running smoother especially over 7K rpms. No Wake Mode now works (probably unrelated to the engine work, but very nice to be able to use that feature now).

All in all - it seems like we were fortunate and avoided the craziness of the original "solution" to simply replace the engine.

Back