• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Underwater Transom lights on X model boats

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been wanting underwater lights for my 212x ever since I bought my boat. In an impulse buy I ordered 3 smaller lumitec lights and some tinned wire to wire them up. In a slight panic I tried to cancel the lights but amazon said nope they've shipped. So, I'm taking that as a sign I am meant to install these on my boat. LOL! Alright, so now I've gotten over the hard part I have some concerns:

1.) Anyone have transom lights AND use the wakebooster or wakewedge?
a.) Concerned the water forced towards the light could cause water intrusion
2.) Anyone install transom lights on a new hull that has a slight curve?
a.) with it not sitting 100% flush with the hull you are reliant on the sealant to fill that gap. Any concerns there?

I must admit I analyze risk(IT Security) for a living and find ways to avoid it. I'm HYPER risk averse, so I tend to analyze shit to death and if I find a weakness or a risk I won't do something. So, am I just being a nervous nelly and there isn't any real concern?

What I bought:

Plan to install them on right, center, and left side of the rear of the boat.
IMG_20220521_114258006_HDR (1).jpg

I've been wanting underwater lights for my 212x ever since I bought my boat. In an impulse buy I ordered 3 smaller lumitec lights and some tinned wire to wire them up. In a slight panic I tried to cancel the lights but amazon said nope they've shipped. So, I'm taking that as a sign I am meant to install these on my boat. LOL! Alright, so now I've gotten over the hard part I have some concerns:

1.) Anyone have transom lights AND use the wakebooster or wakewedge?
a.) Concerned the water forced towards the light could cause water intrusion
2.) Anyone install transom lights on a new hull that has a slight curve?
a.) with it not sitting 100% flush with the hull you are reliant on the sealant to fill that gap. Any concerns there?

I must admit I analyze risk(IT Security) for a living and find ways to avoid it. I'm HYPER risk averse, so I tend to analyze shit to death and if I find a weakness or a risk I won't do something. So, am I just being a nervous nelly and there isn't any real concern?

What I bought:

Plan to install them on right, center, and left side of the rear of the boat.
View attachment 183791

LOL..... All I was doing today was surfing different lights. Saw the Lumitec SeaBlaze X2's but at $440 each, than is going to be a non Starter. But then with 6,000 lumens I could just do one in the center maybe? Or maybe one to the side...... Then I started looking at other LED's and was overwhelmed and have literally 10 in my Amazon cart and then gave up. Figured since I would be wiring a second bilge pump in as well as moving my high water alarm may as well put the lights in since I will have the cover off.....

Wish they weren't so expensive.

I saw the ones you linked above, but was not sure they were enough lumens. Since I have no clue and no common frame of reference, hard to decide. Would love to hear/see your results.

Last edited:
LOL..... All I was doing today was surfing different lights. Saw the Lumitec SeaBlaze X2's but at $440 each, than is going to be a non Starter. But then with 6,000 lumens I could just do one in the center maybe? Or maybe one to the side...... Then I started looking at other LED's and was overwhelmed and have literally 10 in my Amazon cart and then gave up. Figured since I would be wiring a second bilge pump in as well as moving my high water alarm may as well put the lights in since I will have the cover off.....

Boatpluglight.com

Just bought and installed this on a surf board for drawing in manta rays at night. The board and light will be tethered to the boat by a long waterproof wire with quick disconnect in the battery compartment.

I saw the ones you linked above, but was not sure they were enough lumens. Since I have no clue and no common frame of reference, hard to decide. Would love to hear/see your results.
That's why I'm going with 3. Also literally every person around here I talk to says "you know those are illegal?". So, don't really want to draw attention from 20 miles away from the water cops. FYI I've found nothing about them being illegal in NC, other than blue MAY get you questioned, and you can't have them up high around your navigation lights. The lakes I primarily boat in are pretty clear. I think too much is put on the lumens rather than the housing. Some of those lights need tons of lumens due to the lens scattering the light really bad. I saw a few pics of these online and thought, hmmmmm at that price point they are worth it. Like you I just can't see me getting wrapped up in several grand in lighting I'll use a handful of times a year, at most.

most all dedicated surf/wake boats come with under water lights, dont over think it
Yup, nearly all of them now a days are at least an option. However, most of the tabs direct flow away from the rear of the hull. The wakebooster concentrates it and throws it directly towards the rear of the transom. But you're likely right as usual I'm just over analyzing the situation.

Yup, nearly all of them now a days are at least an option. However, most of the tabs direct flow away from the rear of the hull. The wakebooster concentrates it and throws it directly towards the rear of the transom. But you're likely right as usual I'm just over analyzing the situation.
Lol, the hole for the light is only as big as the cable, once sealed no water will go thru.

I just purchased the SeablazeX2 white/blue. It was mid $300s for price off amazon. Not cheap but for 6000 lumens not a bad deal. I plan to mount it right in the back middle. I don't have an articulating keel so I expect it to produce some nice underwater light. I like the lumitec because they can be accidently turned on out of water and won't fry.

Do you think 1 X2 would be enough in the center on my boat?

Nice! So the smaller lower lumens looks like it'll be perfect for me.

Watching for your review of them. If its good I will most likely go the same route.

Lol, the hole for the light is only as big as the cable, once sealed no water will go thru.
that's very true. 1/2" hole and a few screw holes which I'll fill the bejesus with 3m 4200. Like I said I'm super risk averse and can generally talk myself out of anything. LOL!

Last edited:
What type of switch do you use? Just a normal toggle switch?

Watching for your review of them. If its good I will most likely go the same route.
sounds good! I'm not sure when I'll get to use them in the water, BUT I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

What type of switch do you use? Just a normal toggle switch?
I'm going to wire mine into my interior lights. If that pops a fuse, or somehow doesn't work (with LEDs I'm not concerned) I'll run a separate switch since these are just operated with simple on/off push button.

I was out looking at my boat, and placement with the Trim Tabs is sketchy. Not a lot of options. If something in the center would work good, that would be the easiest for me.

I'm going to wire mine into my interior lights. If that pops a fuse, or somehow doesn't work (with LEDs I'm not concerned) I'll run a separate switch since these are just operated with simple on/off push button.
I thought about that, but I may need to run with the interiors on for some reason but don't want the big light on. I dunno, just trying to think it through.

Back