• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Unexpected Gelcoat Cracks

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See pics below. Was doing a quick wash before we depart to Norris Lake tomorrow to try to extend our summer/see what fall is like down there. I was surprised to find these spider cracks. Doesn't seem like any natural point of stress. Wondering if others have seen something similar in this area? Of note, we did some skiing about 2 months ago with a shorter than usual rope (and some fails) that caused a few snaps of the rope onto that transom area, as evidenced by the chunk of the name decal missing. Anything to worry about or is this a latent result of the ski rope snap? Should I repair this or seek to have it repaired hastily? Appreciate any advice!

MattIMG_7243.jpg

Attachments

mistercool88

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a new 2019 242x and after 1 day I had similar cracks. I did not tow from the tow ring that day and still had them. Pretty sure is a manufacturing flaw

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Any curved area like that will be more prone to a crack. What you have there isnt a problem that needs to be fixed right away. I would do just because i am anal about stuff like that but nothing is going to happen if you dont. It can be that the gelcoat is a little thicker in that area. Gel is brittle and the thicker it is the less it will flex before cracking.