• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First post & Initial Impressions 2015 AR240

DaytonGator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I've been watching this forum for about a year now....lots of great info that was a tremendous help as I was researching jets & considering trading out of a 19' Sea Ray bowrider (4.3L I/O). I grew up in the Palm Beaches on a deep water canal with access to the intracostal/ocean & never without a boat. I absolutely took it for granted. Now, living in Ohio (16yrs), I FULLY appreciate what I left behind. I promised myself I'd never buy a boat up here, but eventually caved. I purchased the Sea Ray 185 Sport new in 2011 and quickly learned about boating in the land of all man-made lakes.....trailering for hours, winterization, and 7-8 months of storage/yr. Despite this, our family still had lots of fun. The Sea Ray was an exceptional boat. Built like a tank, no un-finished surfaces, rock-solid swim platform, perfect fit/finish, gelcoat, upholstery, canvas....everything. Zero issues after 5 seasons. The 4.3L was good for 55mph. We boated in Erie, Indian Lake, Cesars Creek, Rocky Fork, Buck Creek, Ohio river...and a couple trips per season South to Norris or Cumberland (both ~ 5hrs each way).

It had some shortcomings however. As the kids got older and wanted to invite friends, the 19' boat quickly became crowded. The 36" draft was deep enough for the prop to find every shallow in our muddy waters. The painted trailer was beautiful and I couldn't make myself dip in salt. Once winterized, it was done for the season....even if we had another weekend or two of unexpectedly nice weather. So...this past summer, I started looking at jetboats. The shallow draft, lack of hard winterization requirements, & with a galvanized trailer.....maybe I could buy back some of my season. And I have to admit.....watching the KevinandCorrie vids over and over during the long winter might have been the deciding factor.

My Sea Ray dealer (Cincinnati) is also a Scarab dealer. I wanted a 23-24' boat but not the $70K pricetag. The Scarabs are probably the flashiest jet boat option...and no question the most available power. I was highly concerned however by the 'Scarab' badge (brushed metal...along the windows) falling off of every boat in the showroom.....the one 'detail' you'd think the manufacturer would NEVER allow to fail.

The closest Yamaha dealer is also in Cincinnati (Lodder's Marine). They had one 2015 AR240 remaining in stock (August at this point) but had no ability (or willingness) to put it on a galvanized trailer....or work with me on price (wouldn't budge from MSRP). Long story short, I ended up 3hrs North in Sandusky OH (on Lake Erie) at 360 Powersports. They had one AR240 & several 242s in stock and galvanized trailers on the lot. They were also willing to take $49,500 for the AR240. I drove up on a Saturday, wrote the check, and drove it home without a sea trial (small craft advisory on Erie).

First impressions. Substantially more room, excellent/exciting acceleration, great top-end and no issues launching/recovering from the trailer. The wife & kids absolutely love the swim deck. Tons of storage. It definitely does not have the slow-speed maneuverability of the I/O and the 'always in gear' takes a bit of pre-planning at the dock....both completely manageable. The wake is not as nice as with the I/O...but if I wanted a perfect wake I would have bought a tow boat. Compared to the Sea Ray, the fit/finish definitely is not as nice....but a new 24' Sea Ray would have cost $80K....so it's really not a fare comparison. I'm not a fan of the Carlisle bias-ply tires that come on the shorelander...but these came with my Sea Ray as well. I've had exceptional luck with the Good Year Marathon Radials on everything I tow and will be replacing the Carlisles once they are worn with Marathons. I'm an engineer by trade and tend to by hyper-sensitive to design/quality....so take my comments here in that context. No mods yet except the delux moring cover & an extended warranty.

Towards the end of the season I always take a longish cruise on the Ohio. It's about 50 miles in either direction from Cincinnati before you hit the first lock. The Ohio is an absolute filthy mess for most of the season...but tends to clean up by late summer. It's not uncommon to find full trees, matresses, etc. floating just beneath the surface. ...But if you want to 'cruise' in southern Ohio, it's the only option. So....it was just me, boat (very) lightly loaded. I topped off the tank...nearly to the fill cap. The current was around 1mph. The fuel guage indicated 100% when I launched and headed West (with the current). I wanted to verify max range/efficiency/etc. I set the speed to ~32-35mph (~ 5500RPM, ~11GHP). The plan was to turn when I hit 65% fuel remaining or the first lock...whichever occurred first. I made it to the lock (50 miles) with 69% fuel 'remaining.' Sweet!

So...I turned around, now fighting the ~1mph current....with ~ 31-32mph indicated. On the way back up river, I injested my first piece of debris. The starboard pump picked up a plastic top from a coke bottle and sounded like silverware in a garbage disposal. It was easily cleared through the clean-out and there was no damage. Definitely got my attention.....guess this is jetboating! On the return trip, my fuel level was dropping....fast. Long story short, I did make it back to the dock (50 miles) with 5% fuel remaining (indicated). When I came off plane, it read 0%. So, moral of the story is.....our fuel indication is quite non-linear. Something Yamaha could have easily calibrated. Anyone else have experience with this? The tank accepted 45gallons after the trip....so maybe 5 gallons remaining...no idea how much of that remaining 5 gallons was 'usable.' My Sea Ray fuel gauge was quite non-linear as well. The tank tapered to hug the hull at the bottom....(i.e. there was less fuel remaining near the bottom of the sending-unit range). It was easy to visually inspect the fuel in the tank through the engine compartment hatch...so was never an issue. It was a rare great day on the river however...and once you get into Indiana...quite beautiful. Overall, had a blast.

Also on this trip, I received a low (house) battery voltage alarm. Both batteries were on but the house battery was clearly not taking a charge. I could parallel the batteries and the house battery would charge.....but would slowly decay while underway when taken out of 'parallel.' I checked the DVSR as some forum members suggested theirs had come from the factory wired incorrectly. Mine was wired correctly but didn't appear to be charging the house battery. So...first trip to local dealer (Lodder's Marine in Cincinnati). It was also time for the first service which I had already decided to allow the dealer to perform (~$500. I'll be doing all further maintenance). I got a call a few days later that it was ready and I asked about the DVSR. I was told that I need to make sure both batteries were in the 'ON' position. Yeah, got that.....I asked them to try again. After 3hrs & 2 techs were involved they concluded that the DVSR needed replaced. Problem fixed. Glad warranty was covering their time...but I now question the capability of their service department. More on that in a minute. Very responsive & professional however.

Other observations....my boat does seem to list a bit to the port as others have suggested. I probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not read about it here on the forum. The amount of water I drain from the bilge varies dramatically from trip to trip....guessing most is taken-on either through the rub-rail or the clean-out cover/tray when coming off plane. I've cut myself about a dozen times with the unfinished edges around the various compartments....something I'll be resolving this winter. I've got the somewhat sloppy sealant-job at the joint behind the rear wet compartments that some have complained about (starboard side below)...and the cut I received from this edge nearly required stitches.

So, I decided to 'winterize' the boat at the end of the season by pumping antifreeze into both engines (with feed from pump clamped)...and fogging. I initially fogged into the breather boot on the intake bellows as some have suggested....but WAY too much of the oil ended up in the bellows and could have saturated the air filter if I hadn't caught it (had the engines at ~ 2000RPM). So I repeated this process & fogged directly into the throttle-bodies with filter removed. The process didn't take an hour.....but I'm not convinced the antifreeze part is necessary. The boat is stored indoors....but not heated. We'll see how motivated I feel next season.

I did find a few spider-cracks in the gel that I'm not excited about. Both sides near the center boarding/walk-thru on the swim deck....and the infamous cracks around the pump bolts. The cracks on the swim platform were definitely not there initially, not sure about the pump bolt cracks.

This is the lower inboard bolt on the port pump.

I called the dealer (Lodders in Cincinnati). They need to see the boat (1hr drive)...and do not want to do any gel work until March. I have absolutely no idea how competent Lodders is with respect to this type of repair. I'm not thrilled with the idea of pulling the entire pump. They're a huge dealer with a massive service department.....we shall see. Has anyone else with this problem had the cracks around the pumps successfully repaired? Did they return? I'm planning a trip to FL in late March and concerned that this repair will drag-on. May need to wait until the end of next season. I've owned lots of (extremely used) boats with gel issues....not really interested in living with cracks on a new boat with < 15hrs. So this will be repaired.

Despite the issues, I'm very excited about the boat. The family loves it. It's a tremendous value at this price point and lots of fun. I absolutely plan on making the run to Bimini in the near future....either with the wife/kids or the dudes from work. Won't be this year, but next year is 90%. Looking forward to meeting other jetboaters and getting back on the water. I spend quite a bit of time in the Destin/Ft Walton Beach area for work and will likely bring the boat whenever driving is an option. Also looking to get back to the FL Keys this year for some diving.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, thanks for the great write up of your experience,

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard!

Great, detailed writeup. Never would have guessed you are an engineer. ;)

Glad to have you with us.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Welcome fellow Daytonian.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice write up! Thanks!!!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat and hope you get your issues worked out easily. That's a great boat you got there.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too have owned several other boats and you have some of the same issues I have with the boat as well. I have cut my self multiple times on areas that it should have never happened in. last year I did the Bimini trip on a jet ski and cut my self trying to tie up to another boat from a non surfaced edge on cleat which was a new experience for me spent the whole week with my thumb bleeding as it never had a chance to heal from all the water time but well worth it. I have cut my self several times on my jet boat now as well. I will agree the fit and finish on these is not nearly the same as many other boats but as you mentioned neither is the price point so some cut corners are expected. The one big issue I have had so far is debris being sucked up it has happened on every trip i have had so far. We have high water and more debris then normal right now due to recent flooding so I'm blaming that but I have had Jet Skis for years and never once sucked anything into those pumps which I find strange now. Overall still love the boat. The top speed is inline with other boats in class but the acceleration is crazy every time someone is on the boat for the first time and I hit the throttle some one always lets out a little scream or chuckle and I love it lol. I don't have any of the spider cracks and that would bother me on a new boat as well I would get those fixed asap. You will love the boat and I can relate there is something nice about not having to worry about depth on murky water.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
the spider cracking of the gel goat (color/cosmetic) at the pump, this occurs on any boat where bolts are going thru the hull/transom and have pressure/torque applied to them. Its impossible not to get them and they wont cause any breach in the underlying fiberglass. The ones on the swim platform, while cosmetic, unexcusable imo. (typo edited)

The listing to the side, bugs the ever lasting hell out of me. Im 275 pounds, 70 pounds of batteries, another 100 pounds of extra glass (if that!) for the storage locker on the left, I should be listing to the starboard if at all! My 120 pound wife can be driving and it still lays to the left!

Fuel guage, every car I have ever seen is non-linear and every boat I have seen is to, so not much of an issue for me, just used to it.... but... given the "nose down" attitude of our boats (mine is a 2014 242 LS) I absolutely think it was a complete head up ass move to not offset the front of the tank an inch or 2 higher so the gas pools to the rear at idle you dont go from 1/4 of a tank to low fuel light on in 15 seconds!!! My wife loses her mind when that happens lol

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great write-up @DaytonGator. You got a great deal on your boat. Congrats. I share your concerns regarding dealership capabilities. I haven't experienced any spider cracks, yet, but my boat did inconsistently take on water. Some days, I'd get about a gallon drain out of the bilge and others, I'd get enough water that the bilge pump would spit throughout the day. I raised the issue with the dealer that I bought the boat from and I was told "Don't worry about it. The all leak." I took the boat to another dealer who figured out that I had a leak near my port side drive shaft. I'm guessing that it was a loose clamp, but the dealer replaced anything that was suspect because they weren't sure if it was just a clamp issue, then they missed some clamps of their own while reassembling it, which caused a different water leak. Check that your cup holder drains are connected properly. My helm cup holder did not have a drain hose connected to it, and my swim platform cup holder drains were kinked and they did not drain. My first dealer "fixed" that problem by jamming a screw driver into the drain hole and popping off the drain hose which then allowed the cup holders to drain into my bilge. Funny that you mention about cutting yourself. I bled all over my boat when I installed my chart plotter.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very good write-up and I think it will help many people decide between a jet vs. I/O. Without question, the Sea Ray is a well-built boat and known for quality fit and finish (although many would argue not as good as they used to be). I think that Yamaha has been very successful in the "value" space, but now the boats are starting to creep up towards the cost of quality I/O's. It will be interesting to see if people will buy jetboats at the same rate if the price is similar. You still get benefits like more room, better acceleration, no prop, easier maintenance, etc., but of course there are some drawbacks to jetboats as well. Best of luck with the new boat. She's sharp looking!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats! Welcome Aboard!........And very nice write up. I am happy to hear that your family loves the boat and that the dealer is taking care of the issues.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great, detailed writeup. Never would have guessed you are an engineer.
Ha, Exactly what I was thinking.
I believe your boat has the same fuel tank as the older boats which is a 53 gallon tank.
Welcome to the party.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and I join the others in complimenting the write-up!

Question on your trip: You mentioned that you had about a 1 mph current, but I did not see you mention the wind speed. I have noticed on mine that the very high freeboard means a greater-than-normal wind effect. Add the bimini (effectively a sail) and you can get quite blown around. I wonder if that contributed to your fuel consumption on the return.

I had the same impression on the first service reaming--er, I mean, experience. Haven't had my boat back since... have done it all myself. While you are filing/sanding, make sure that you check the tightness of the various screws (particularly on the head compartment). I found lots of mine were loose.

Welcome, again!

DaytonGator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and I join the others in complimenting the write-up!

Question on your trip: You mentioned that you had about a 1 mph current, but I did not see you mention the wind speed. I have noticed on mine that the very high freeboard means a greater-than-normal wind effect. Add the bimini (effectively a sail) and you can get quite blown around. I wonder if that contributed to your fuel consumption on the return.

I had the same impression on the first service reaming--er, I mean, experience. Haven't had my boat back since... have done it all myself. While you are filing/sanding, make sure that you check the tightness of the various screws (particularly on the head compartment). I found lots of mine were loose.

Welcome, again!
There was almost no wind that day....water was like glass! Bimini was not installed. There aren't many fuel stops on the river....will definitely throw an extra 5-10 gallons in the boat next time I venture that far.

jtink

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great write up,
question: you mentioned boating at Rocky Fork Lake, we are planning to head there tomorrow. What's your opinion of the lake. What's good about it and what's bad about it?
We usually go to east fork if boating around Cincinnati area, and lake Cumberland ky, if we are traveling.
East fork always looks dirty, and seams to always have an algae problem. Sign says Not recommend kids swimming.

Thanks,

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Great write up,
question: you mentioned boating at Rocky Fork Lake, we are planning to head there tomorrow. What's your opinion of the lake. What's good about it and what's bad about it?
We usually go to east fork if boating around Cincinnati area, and lake Cumberland ky, if we are traveling.
East fork always looks dirty, and seams to always have an algae problem. Sign says Not recommend kids swimming.

Thanks,
@Livi0411 didnt you used to go there...?

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Posts like this are helpful, thank you for sharing. I will keep an eye on these areas and try not to bleed all over my boat when tinkering.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I made it to the lock (50 miles) with 69% fuel 'remaining.' Sweet!

Long story short, I did make it back to the dock (50 miles) with 5% fuel remaining (indicated). When I came off plane, it read 0%. So, moral of the story is.....our fuel indication is quite non-linear. Something Yamaha could have easily calibrated. Anyone else have experience with this? The tank accepted 45gallons after the trip....so maybe 5 gallons remaining...no idea how much of that remaining 5 gallons was 'usable.'
I know I'm about 6 months late to the party, but I'm new to Connext and am wondering if the fuel gauge is unreliable, does it at least count the gallons used accurately?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know I'm about 6 months late to the party, but I'm new to Connext and am wondering if the fuel gauge is unreliable, does it at least count the gallons used accurately?
Pretty accurate (when at idle). Everyone just needs to understand the location of the sender makes a huge difference in how the fuel is read. I never rely on the reading when I am moving. I know that I will see the most accurate reading when I am at idle because of the position of the boat. While underway, all the fuel is at the back of the tank and give the sender an inflated reading.