• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Unknown Catastrophic Failure

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So we used the boat all weekend with no issues. We all went out for a couple hours today before leaving the campground. Had a great time, ran perfectly. No warning lights, no CEL, no lugging engine, no stalling, no nothing. So we loaded it up on the trailer, pulled the drain plugs and WTF...oil leaked out everywhere. Checked the engine compartment and the bottom was covered in oil.

We are still in shock. We have the 5 yr warranty, so hopefully its covered. Dropped it at the dealer to see what they say happened. Anyone have any insight?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully it was a loose oilf filter and leaked out oil.

I would take a look around the motor. Look for the source. Run your hand under the motor to try to pinpoint leak.

How's the level on your dipstick?

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was the first outing this year and all fluids were fine. Didn't really have time to check for a source of the leak. I could see the filter and it was on tight. Then we had to get the boat to the shop then get back to the campground and load up the camper for the trip home in holiday traffic. We live 2+ hours away from the boat shop at the lake so they are supposed to call us this week.

I sure hope it is something that simple though.

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fingers crossed :nailbiting:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could be a handful of things that aren't catastrophic. No lights is a good sign. It doesn't take much oil to look like a lot either.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the oil cooler bolts.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
x2 was going to suggest the oil cooler if the oil filter was on tight. I know they fixed that issue back then (around 2010-11 I think) but it would be my next place to inspect beyond the oil filter. Curious of the cause.

Last edited:

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this the first time out since an oil change? I made a post a while back about aftermarket oil filters. Some won't work with the MR-1s because the threads need to be recessed deeper than the main body or else the threads bottom out before the gasket can make a seal. https://jetboaters.net/threads/oil-filter-issues.13019/

However, I'm not sure what engine is in your boat, or if it's even the same design. Hope everything is fine!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
He has an 1800 engine in that boat I have never had oil leak with thousands of combined hours running those engines. Never in any of mine even when a timing chain hatched so I am also curious as to the reason you have oil in the hull.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did the oil filter rust through around the crimped seem? This happens a lot. Its always good to apply grease around the base of the filter, filling the crimp seam to prevent rusting out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good point, I always cover mine with aluminum duct tape to protect them from the salt water.

S6T6

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our boat has never been in salt water. Dealer did the first oil change per the recommended schedule towards the end of last season. The boat only has around 50 hrs. This was its first use this season. With such low hours I would not have expected another oil change was necessary yet, nor would I think that would be the cause of the issue.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It was a good possibility and one that I totally forgot about so it would be easy enough to check , just feel the oil filter and see if it is leaking.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check that the oil filter cooler face isn't warped. I had one crack and the other warp. I couldn't see that the second one was warped but the Yamaha tech found it and supported his findings to the insurance company with pics of the cooler face against a ruler. I would just feel around the perimeter of the oil filter cooler.

As someone else mentioned, it doesn't take much oil to mix with water in the bilge to make what looks like a very big mess. Any chance that the oil was accidentally spilled into the bilge and not cleaned up during the last oil change?

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was think'n that too, did the tech leave a puddle of oil under the engine and now its showing up?

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

HybridSS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
If the oil level on the dipstick was fine your likely to be ok. Hoping for a good outcome.