• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrade dilemma AR190 speakers

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone and @2kwik4u for the Wetsounds soundbar tip. I'm not sure I'll go that route...yet. I was thinking of installing the remote for the Marine Audio on the swim deck (since the head unit is pre-wired) and a speaker upgrade for now.

Has anyone installed these Kickers?

Kicker 41KM604W 6.5" 4-Ohm Marine/Boat Waterproof Audio Speakers White 4) Kicker 41KM604W 6.5" 4-Ohm Marine/Boat Waterproof Audio Speakers White 713034070207 | eBay

You can get 4 for 160 and change right now and the Polks DB651s' are about 140. I would bet either are a great improvement but interested in anyone else's experiences.

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
That's not trivial but here is an idea. Not to sound like a broken record but I really can not see you being compeltely unhappy with 4 DBs ($100) powered by the clarion xc1410 (those come on sale for as low as $70... not bridgeble and a bit of a PIA to connect but work great and won't kill your battery), and then add something like the Infinity BassLink for $200 - if you can find one on ebay (powered, no extra amp needed). Just thinking out loud. This would not light up a cove but would be more than adequate for in in-cockpit - for most.

--
This is probably an unpopular opinion but......I think in most cases it's rude to "light up the cove" not everyone wants to listen to your music and have you play DJ for the whole cove/sandbar (just my opinion)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is probably an unpopular opinion but......I think in most cases it's rude to "light up the cove" not everyone wants to listen to your music and have you play DJ for the whole cove/sandbar (just my opinion)
Sometimes you have to be louder than the guy trying to light up the cove, to hear your own music :)

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't really want super loud, just better overall sound quality over the stock stuff.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I always respect the people around me and am never the guy lighting up the cove but I truly enjoy having a bumpin bangin system in everything I own. I enjoy it, my kids enjoy it and my boating friends enjoy it.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered 4 Polk DB651s. I'm hoping they will swap out with no modifications.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered 4 Polk DB651s. I'm hoping they will swap out with no modifications.
Mine did just fine.

Use a hand screwdriver on the screws putting the new ones in. The holes in the fiberglass are a little tight and a 18V drill used as a driver will break the screws.......ask me how I know.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha, I used a hand screwdriver when I installed the ram mount to avoid damaging the fiberglass. My fishing boat is aluminum. Its amazing how different it is installing things on metal vs glass.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 45KM654 Kickers in my SX190 and they are an improvement over the stock "ASA" speakers. However, they have a boosted high bass - making them kind of boomy, and are treble heavy, requiring low(er) bass and midrange boost to sound more balanced. They were an easy swap with no changes to holes required.

I'm on the fence about installing a small four-channel marine amp to get the most out of those speakers. It's said to help a lot, and I think it'd permit more aggressive EQ at least. I don't usually play the stereo at speed - just too much noise in total, but just while putting along or anchored.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have 45KM654 Kickers in my SX190 and they are an improvement over the stock "ASA" speakers. However, they have a boosted high bass - making them kind of boomy, and are treble heavy, requiring low(er) bass and midrange boost to sound more balanced. They were an easy swap with no changes to holes required.

I'm on the fence about installing a small four-channel marine amp to get the most out of those speakers. It's said to help a lot, and I think it'd permit more aggressive EQ at least. I don't usually play the stereo at speed - just too much noise in total, but just while putting along or anchored.
Kickers have always struggled with no power, they shine with power though.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, received the Polks and was about to install only to find out the wifey didn't like the silver and bronze color combo so went with my other choice, the Kicker KM 6.5 in white.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, received the Polks and was about to install only to find out the wifey didn't like the silver and bronze color combo so went with my other choice, the Kicker KM 6.5 in white.
Wife balked at that color as well. Said they looked like they came out of a smokers house. She was OK with it after the grills were on, and I told her they cost $25 for all 4.

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OMG that silver color has been my hesitation for the EXACT same reason. I thought the Mrs. would have an issue with the silver. My only concern is reading up on those kickers it seems to be that they love an amp and perform much better with one. (likely holds true for any speaker) Any feedback on those greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Kickers are definitely an improvement over the stock MA speakers. Right now they are powered by the stock Clarion head unit. I plan to add an amp when I get the tower speakers and sub.

Attachments

ncinthenext3

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those look awesome. Trying to score a deal on ebay. I miss my boat! It's in Winter Storage still. I go get her one week from Friday! I see you got it in the garage, too. I'm jealous. Thank you for the picture.

EDIT: my stock head unit is also a MA like the old speakers. I hope it does a decent job.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As mentioned, most speakers wake up with an amp, even a solid 10-20w/ch gets them moving. I'm using the stock Polk DB652 speakers that came in the boat, and adding an amp made a huge difference to the fullness of their sound as well as volume - the woofers need some power to get the cones moving and head units simply do not have much oomph regardless of their "ratings" which is usually 1 channel at 1kHz which is useless for music.

I like the Polks overall sound enough that I bought 4 more to install in the boat mid-cabin this spring to add to my amp and it should sound quite good and fill out the cabin nicely.