• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrade to JL M770s - phase 4

NickF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jaylex I’m more on the fence about the M6.5 vs the M7.7 to replace my six stock speakers. and then which amp to get the 6 channel or the 8, for future add ons. After looking at all the pictures my boat has different mounting positions than the 24ft’s.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ahhhh, gotcha....

I initially also looked at the M650s vs the MX650s I originally went with.

If your boat comes with 6 stock, have you already added the additional paid in the cabin? That mod is a must which would give you a total of 8 speakers and then you probably could just opt for the MX650s and save some coin.

The M650s are obviously more and require more power or I was told its not worth the extra money (from multiple sources), so unless you want to give them more than 75rms you might be better off adding the extra pair of 6.5s in the cabin. When I ran the 8 MX650s off the single M800/8 it still sounded great. Your boat is just a lil shorter than the 240's so that should make it sound louder?

Are you considering towers as well at some point?

Lots of ways to get LOUD!

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Captains...finally got around to getting the last part of my phase 4 upgrades done with adding in the 4th amp, and my rear cushions installed in my 2017 AR240.

With this addition my system is as follows:

8 JL M770s powered by 2 JL M800/8's feeding them each 200 rms.

A pair of JL M880s on the tower getting 200 rms driven by 4 channels off a JL M600/6 (2 open channels)

A pair of JL 12w3s powered by a JL M1000/1 each getting 500 rms inside of ported boxes, one under the seat behind the driver and the other in the large port storage. Getting a second vent made out of starboard to properly vent the port storage. Have already vented the other sub.

I have a pair of the JL knobs that control my towers and subs independently.

My installer has all wires hidden and loomed so it's very clean and neat. I had my rear cushions modified (twice due to speaker change) on the transom which came out nice as well.

The sound is pretty impressive to say the least...at 50% volume I can pretty much hear it well off the back when on the shore, and while underway EASILY. I didn't crank it past 75% YET....but when it was at 75% it was insane....got plenty of thumbs up and overall I couldn't be happier....it took me 4 phases to get it where I wanted but it should keep me happy for the rest of the season.

Need to figure out what to do with the extra open channels I have...prob will add then in the bow somewhere...prob some Jl M650s.

Besides the stereo system I've also had a custom wash down system added that I love, and some additional courtesy lights in the tower.

In total we have 12 speakers with 3000 watts, that is Crystal clear!

Next up is to use my wet sounds a link...cant wait!!!

20180729_132458.jpg 20180729_132505.jpg 20180729_132511.jpg 20180729_121200.jpg 20180729_121210.jpg 20180407_183739.jpg 20180407_143150.jpg 34399.jpeg 47520.jpeg 20180519_163749.jpg 20180519_181837.jpg 20180406_200049.jpg

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Captains...finally got around to getting the last part of my phase 4 upgrades done with adding in the 4th amp, and my rear cushions installed in my 2017 AR240.

With this addition my system is as follows:

8 JL M770s powered by 2 JL M800/8's feeding them each 200 rms.

A pair of JL M880s on the tower getting 200 rms driven by 4 channels off a JL M600/6 (2 open channels)

A pair of JL 12w3s powered by a JL M1000/1 each getting 500 rms inside of ported boxes, one under the seat behind the driver and the other in the large port storage. Getting a second vent made out of starboard to properly vent the port storage. Have already vented the other sub.

I have a pair of the JL knobs that control my towers and subs independently.

My installer has all wires hidden and loomed so it's very clean and neat. I had my rear cushions modified (twice due to speaker change) on the transom which came out nice as well.

The sound is pretty impressive to say the least...at 50% volume I can pretty much hear it well off the back when on the shore, and while underway EASILY. I didn't crank it past 75% YET....but when it was at 75% it was insane....got plenty of thumbs up and overall I couldn't be happier....it took me 4 phases to get it where I wanted but it should keep me happy for the rest of the season.

Need to figure out what to do with the extra open channels I have...prob will add then in the bow somewhere...prob some Jl M650s.

Besides the stereo system I've also had a custom wash down system added that I love, and some additional courtesy lights in the tower.

In total we have 12 speakers with 3000 watts, that is Crystal clear!

Next up is to use my wet sounds a link...cant wait!!!

View attachment 80175 View attachment 80176 View attachment 80177 View attachment 80178 View attachment 80179 View attachment 80180 View attachment 80181 View attachment 80182 View attachment 80183 View attachment 80184 View attachment 80185 View attachment 80186
Very nice. Congrats. Loving the water tank back there too. You make me want to tear down my system now. I'm anxious to get started on my new build after lake season.

NickF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks great, how many batteries are you runningand did you have to change anything up to handle the extra current draw?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @FloJet Thanks...the sound is just what I am looking for, ZERO distrotion, and VERY Loud....the only thing I can think of is a second set of towers but at this point I think Im ok without them...for now, lol

Im not sure what more you can do with your system bro....its a monster!!

The shower is my favorite mod, I use it all the time, for everything from washing down the boat to rinsing hands, or sand off the transom...and it has a HO pump so the stream is strong regardless of setting.

@NickF I have 2 group 29 house batteries for the stereo and so far no low battery signal....I ran 0 gauge JL wire for both power and ground and the amps didnt get very hot, using a fused distro block to split into 4 gauge where the amps are mounted.

Taking it out again this week and will be playing for extended hours so I will know if the batteries are an issue.

Besides that its just about how I want it, few more items here and there but this is it for now.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya I'm def going to have to look into that shower mod this offseason. It's something that is a must for me. Not sure why I waited so long to attempt it.

But ya for the stereo I'm going to be adding 2-3 more pairs of the new Rev12s that should be coming out this winter. To be honest the places we go there are just way too many clashing systems and sometimes my system gets drowned out. So I just figured its time to go big or go home. I'm also kicking myself for not going ported in my bass, so I will be building a new ported box for them. Might even try to fit the new WS 15" sub in there. Supposed to be a monster with 5" voice coil.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
MY GOODNESS!!!!

WS Rev 12's....assuming you will keep ear plugs on board for those who want to retain their hearing, lol

That will be insane!!

But what does it take to drown out what you have?

The shower is a must have, and b/c u can customize the tank and join them you can get creative.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You def going to have to post up the lists for the shower mod some day.

If many people are blasting their music all around me it can drown me. It's not that I worry about it. It's more here where I live. Here the top dog has $40k in his system which I would never want that. But just in my circle of friends here, 1 boat with 10 rev10s, 1 boat with 6 rev10s and 2 rev410s. Another boat with 8 Rev 10s. Lol. Sound out wise, the $40k system obviously kills us all. Highs its a close call between the boat with 6 revs, 2 rev410s and my boat. But he beats me in subwoofer out put since he is using ported box and it's in the open. The others are using not so good amps and don't really have it tuned correctly so I can top them in both categories. But when everyone is at different ends of the beach and start to play it can get very annoying. But when we all decide to link up, I've never heard anything like it. Suppper loud and crazy beach party lol. Not so much that we try to compete, just a big passion for some of us so we are constantly testing the limits. I can get my Revs to where they are ear bleeding but for what sometimes? lol It's just many folks don't know the science in how to push their system to it's limits without distorting or damaging their equipment. Too much money is spent when it's not fully being utilized.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have posted my install and the source where I got it...its actually plug and play...my installer fiberglass some wood glued it down as a based with the tank and ran a inline switch, cant take more than a few hrs....costs about 300 bucks, depending on the tank u use.

40k is dummy....and personally that much highs that loud from towers would def be ear bleeding...I cant imagine it...

I almost went hlcds but ended up with the JL 880s...diff speaker but nearfield it gives me the sound i was after....

I think u have a sick system...but those Rev 12s are another animal.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thank you. Ya I will look in to that mod. I hear you on the speakers. Spending so much money don't make sense sometimes. The blessed thing I have going is I do my own installs so that saves a ton of money. Plus I always recycle and sell old equipment if I'm upgrading. With that and the discounts I receive on products, it helps a whole lot.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That def helps with recycling and doing your own install when/if you wanna upgrade.

But the million dollar question is what do you NEED to change on ur system...its already supersized...I get the Rev 12s...maybe interior speakers...but u got a very nice base to begin with.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha thanks. To be honest, I can't really explain it. It's that hobby that you feel the need to change things all the time I suppose. Like swapping out car engines and parts on a hot rod. lol

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aight, so if you had to upgrade from what you have what would be on your wish list, just curious as to how crazy this might end up, lol

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really want better subs and box. The problem is there is no space for the good subs in our boats. Most wakeboats you can use 4 cubic ft boxes because they give you room by the helm or port side for them. So I would say probably better subs right now. I really want to get more tower speakers. I have pretty much the max watts going to each speaker so really can't upgrade the amps.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ask here. Some buddies @seanmclean and others are pushing me to change my winter order.

I currently have:
m200/2 powering a JL subwoofer.
M600/6 powering bow/rear (MX650) and tower (mx770)

Winter project:
M400/4 to power my tower (the mx770 died so M3-770 now) and M3-650's for the swim deck.
adding captains chair M3-650 area.

However, I'm getting pressure to just go ahead and resell my already bought M3-650's and put M3-770's in all these places. (if I'm going to cut holes in the boat, i might as well cut bigger ones...)

Was there really that big a difference between the 650's and the 770's?
I'm really not at the point to up my amps further.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ask here. Some buddies @seanmclean and others are pushing me to change my winter order.

I currently have:
m200/2 powering a JL subwoofer.
M600/6 powering bow/rear (MX650) and tower (mx770)

Winter project:
M400/4 to power my tower (the mx770 died so M3-770 now) and M3-650's for the swim deck.
adding captains chair M3-650 area.

However, I'm getting pressure to just go ahead and resell my already bought M3-650's and put M3-770's in all these places. (if I'm going to cut holes in the boat, i might as well cut bigger ones...)

Was there really that big a difference between the 650's and the 770's?
I'm really not at the point to up my amps further.
Im not sure if it will matter, from my understanding and research, when speaking to JL and others the size diff wont be as audible with the power you have. I was in a similar situation and had the MX650s (off a 800/8) and wanted Mx770s but was told the diff would be marginal since they had similar internals outside of cone size...and the M770 would be a noticeable diff bc they had larger internals for higher power.

If the price diff isnt killer go for it, but it really depends on your listening preferences, and budget....if I was gonna go to 7.7s I wanted max output.

Going from MX650s to M770s is night and day, especially when you properly power them....I can project far and its EXTREMELY clean. Check with Odin @ earmark he can help you fig out if its worth it based on your goals.

Hope this helps

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im not sure if it will matter, from my understanding and research, when speaking to JL and others the size diff wont be as audible with the power you have. I was in a similar situation and had the MX650s (off a 800/8) and wanted Mx770s but was told the diff would be marginal since they had similar internals outside of cone size...and the M770 would be a noticeable diff bc they had larger internals for higher power.

If the price diff isnt killer go for it, but it really depends on your listening preferences, and budget....if I was gonna go to 7.7s I wanted max output.

Going from MX650s to M770s is night and day, especially when you properly power them....I can project far and its EXTREMELY clean. Check with Odin @ earmark he can help you fig out if its worth it based on your goals.

Hope this helps
Is this basically the same debate of current m3 vs m6. I'm planning on a pair of m3 650s and two pairs of m3 770s, all powered at 75watts each on an 800/8. Hoping I'm not disappointed. We're aiming for.sound quality, not necessarily volume. Thoughts on springing for an extra pair of 7.7's? I didn't think they'd fit in the bow area

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Hope this helps
I think my problem is that the current system is crazy already. When the tower was working properly I could go to the landing to pick up friends/family and still be heard at the beach where the rest of the family were left across the lake. While cruising i can make it hurt for everyone on board (except me see below) and my dad refuses to sit on the side of the boat the subwoofer is on because the "vibrations" are uncomfortable...

I cannot imagine your system and already get yelled at for it being too loud. Part of the agreement from the Financial Committee was that I would be adding remote gain knobs for the amps so that I can turn the boat itself way down, and have the tower/rear deck up so that while floating in a cove, adults can hear the music without deafening anyone being beer bitch or sleeping kids. Also that I would add the captain area speakers so that i can hear it while driving w/o deafening the bow or rear area.

I already have the M3-650's (2 pairs). So I'd have to sell them, then go buy the M3-770s.
My source got me the m3-650's at what I feel is a steal. and the m3-770's for a decent deal as well. (i bought new m3-770s for the tower monday and they were ~90 a pair of speakers more than the M3-650's.)

I think the kicker is I just do not feel like juggling amps to try up the power. (i.e. going to a m800 for tower/swim deck, m800 for bow/captain, an m200 for the rear,. that's a HUGE swing from M600/6, m400/4, m200/2. essentially doubling the wattage.)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like an awesome system you are getting to. Just my 2 cents after reading some of this post. It sounds like you need to upgrade your amps rather than the speakers/towers. 75 watts to your speakers is the reason you are not getting the sound you are looking for. The m3-770s will def sound louder but only at the expense of a better amp. If your speakers calls for 75 watts rms, try to put at least 100 watts rms on it. For example on my 6.5s I run 150 watts to each speaker and they can scream when I want them to. Right voltage matching and proper wattage can have any speaker sounding amazing. Most people's issues are usually under powering of the equipment to save or work around a budget. But in the end the amps/equalizers are the key to high volumes without distortions.