• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used, new and 242 or 212X

Jayme

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm just starting to look seriously at Yamahas and have never owned a jet boat. I grew up with I/O props but like a lot of what I've seen w/ Yamahas. Test drove an AR210 last year think it was a 17' . I'm really not sure what I want though and could plop down the big cash now although would rather stick to something less but still good. I've been looking at 21' boats mainly but could probably fit a 24' in garage w/ trailer tongue folding model. I've seen some used such as this https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1749819815107388?surface=product_details but also like the 212X or even AR210. I have younger boys but we want to be able to take another family out so 8-10 people max and be able to ski, wakeboard and possibly surf (never surfed before). Any suggestions? I've heard after 2015 the models changed a lot and noise levels got a lot less. Just wondering about bang for buck.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey there @Jayme and welcome to the forum.

I will chime in on my experience.

I got into boating by a random trip to Lake Havasu, AZ...fell in LOVE and was hooked, liked the idea of no prop and the transom design as well as the reliability.

My first one was a 2011 242 LS just like the one in your post, I loved it....learned a lot in the process.

Buddy I owend it with wanted out last year so I decided to get a 2017 AR240, LOVE it even more.

I don't think you can go wrong, and if your not financing, and paying cash then you have a ton of options.

The newer 21 ft hold I think 10 max so that could fit your bill.

But I do like the larger size of the 24 ft, I briefly considered the 21ft when I was looking for the new boat, but you can never have to much boat, as long as you can safely operate it, tow it, and park it.

So if you can make it work in your garage then I suggest you take a look in the classified section HERE, there is a CLEAN 2016 AR 240 for sales for only $43K and it is pretty well upgraded which saves you $5k or so in basics and upgrades.

The 2010 you have listed is a nice boat, and you would be happy BUT for the extra coin, you prob get a better bang for your buck, and save a ton over buying a 2018 new.

Put another way, if I was in the market I would be all over this listing, don't let distance deter you, some of the best deals come from out of state.

PPKap

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Jayme,

I was in exactly your spot when I bought mine, although my kids are older. I’m not sure what year Yamaha started putting the articulating keel (maybe 2013?) on the boats but it does make a difference at all speeds. I’ve driven older and newer one and I can tell the difference. I bought our boat in August “new” from a marina in VA. (Brand new, left over inventory) and got a pretty good deal on it. I know I’ll have it for many years so I glad I bought it. We also went with the 242 because that extra couple of feet does make a difference. My family plus freinds have plenty of room. Good luck!