• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vibration

Jim Turner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just purchased a 2008 SX230. Run great. First time out I sucked a rope in the intake. After I got it out, at about 5,000 RPM the motor runs fine but about every 5 minutes there is a vibration and noise coming from the engine area. Any ideas

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
how did you get the rope out, through the clean out port on the swim platform? I'll bet there is still a piece left in there, To check you can remove the pumps, its really easy, 4 bolts and 2 other small bolts. There is a video online

I've done it a few times and both times I had a little piece of something I couldn't feel from the clean out port.

Jim Turner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Vibrating only last about 4 seconds then stops for another 5 minutes.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just purchased a 2008 SX230. Run great. First time out I sucked a rope in the intake. After I got it out, at about 5,000 RPM the motor runs fine but about every 5 minutes there is a vibration and noise coming from the engine area. Any ideas
My guess is that you are experiencing cavitation. Typically when something gets stuck in a jet pump you will experience significant vibration at higher RPMs. It is likely that you would not notice cavitation at idle but will feel it strongly as you throttle up.

Is it possible that you are picking up some sort of debris every five mintures or so that is working itself free?

Jim Turner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cut the rope in two. Part came out the clean out & part came out the intake

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to crawl up under the boat with a flashlight and look in the grates, around the impeller and shaft. I've experience the on again/off again cavitation a handful of times....most recently a 1/2" piece of rubber band was wedged in between the impeller and lining. I had to be diligent to find it.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would pull the pump and it is a good exercise anyway. When I pulled my pump for the first time, there were remnants of a ski rope on the driveshaft and it was good to have a look around. Of course, i then decided to rebuild/buy new pumps, impellers, etc but that is only because my boat is older (2001) and I wanted freshened up