• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Video - 210 FSH - Cobra Jet Steering Magnum AK with Fangs Test

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My personal observations of the Cobras on the 210 FSH.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC @JetBoatPilot

Son of a gun - that was a great ending, LMAO.

But seriously, thank you for taking a no bs look and posting the test.
I've done a bunch of testing myself and it is A LOT of effort - I'm very impressed with your take - I have a way to go to get to your level of what is basically professional production!

Not surprised with the results, I think the Cobras at speed are something that just needs to be experienced.

Also - that river of yours is just awesome.

--

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Son of a gun - that was a great ending, LMAO.

But seriously, thank you for taking a no bs look and posting the test.
I've done a bunch of testing myself and it is A LOT of effort - I'm very impressed with your take - I have a way to go to get to your level of what is basically professional production!

Not surprised with the results, I think the Cobras at speed are something that just needs to be experienced.

Also - that river of yours is just awesome.

--
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC if I ever buy another set, I better get a good discount there bud.

@swatski I just use a GoPro and iMovie. It does take a lot of time though.

I will be making a commentary video between the two and giving my opinion on which I prefer. Both products have their benefits.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@swatski I updated the video with reverse tests that I forgot to include.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Looked like you were having fun.
Please allow me to expound on the power steering effect. It is a basic principal actually.
When you tested the thrust vectors they are out of the water when you are on plane So your boat steering would not feel any different than if you had just the original nozzles and rudder in the water.
Both create drag or resistance on the steering .
When the nozzles are being turned in an effort to steer the boat they are redirecting a very strong water jet that is trying to straighten the nozzles as you are turning them, and the rudder is resisting turning at speed by the water pushing against it as it turns.
All those forces are at work on your steering system.
Now Unlike the other test steering, my steering is in contact with the water all the time as you mentioned so at speed we are increasing the resistance by putting the fins into play in addition to the existing steering system. So the resistance is increased.
The principal of placing part of the rudder forward of the pivot point in order to cancel out turning resistance caused by the part or the rudder behind the pivot point is a proven technique and has been in use for centuries.
So the fact that you did not feel any difference in your steering even though the fins were added to the system actually proves the Mega Fangs are doing their job.
So for a lack of a better description I use power steering effect because power steering reduces the amount of force needed to be applied to the steering wheel in order to turn the boat steering system. Without the Mega Fangs the wheel would obviously be more difficult to turn with the additional steering system. I hope this helps to clarify how this works
Also I would like to point out the bow wander as slight as it is my experience would point to the fact that you are doing tests in a river and often wind or current will cause some bow wander. Just an observation I made. Also I was really impressed with the very clean wake behind your boat at speed.
People engaged in water sports will appreciate that . And thank you for all your effort in doing these videos .

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My personal observations of the Cobras on the 210 FSH.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC @JetBoatPilot

Nice job with this I am kooking foward to your next video. I am not sure either system had any impact on your top speed. Clean hull, low humidity with ambient air temps in the 70s, and lightly loaded boat are all big factors. I noticed when it got hot and sticky this past summer my top speed suffered and as it cooled down in September my top speed picked back up. Given all of that do you still think either system had that big of an impact on top speed?

I just swapped my regular fangs with mega fangs and will be hitting the water today also in SC. I don’t think I will have much to post until I can try them in windy conditions.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I updated the video with reverse tests that I forgot to include.
Yep, saw it now - excellent video. And yes, I am most impressed with your prowess of narrative and editing, not GoPro shooting, lol.

One thing I noticed, it was not clear to me what was the context for your review of "power steering" function of the Fangs (or was it Megas?).

Not a criticism at all - but it is important. In my experience with these systems, you can not detect the "power steering" effect comparing "no-fins, no-fangs" vs "fins w/fangs", it needs to be "fins alone" vs "fins w/fangs.

Cobras (down at speed) give the resistance countered by Fangs/MEGAs. No Cobras = no steering resistance to counter.

EDIT:
If this was already addressed (?) - sorry - it's too early, the coffee just kicking in...

Thanks for the great write-up. Looking forward to part 2!

BTW - believe it or not - I think this is the FIRST DIRECT comparison of the two steering systems here! About time if you ask me - on the 4th anniversary of this glorious forum. Which makes you an instant legend, lol.

I don't think those steering systems could be more different, all in all.

EDIT 2:
For anyone testing Cobra fins "down at speed" - clip your lanyard in.
Please do not ask why I say it, or why I believe it is necessary.

--

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, saw it now
EDIT 2:
Please do not ask why I say it, or why I believe it is necessary.--
Can I guess? Lets see... should have turned to port not starboard:rolleyes:, two hands on the wheel:eek: and get a fixed mount for the camera instead of holding it.o_O Close?:winkingthumbsup"

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Foobar

First of all I really appreciate your detailed videos. Although I don't own a 21 FSH I am still interested in what you are doing to your boat. Keep up the great editing and filming.

I believe Jeff from Cobra Steering in an earlier post said for boats with the articulating keel his system would be compatible with the lateral thrust from Jet Boat Pilot. That then started a separate discussion on this forum which I won't go into.

If that is the case I would love to see you leave the cobras on and add the lateral thrust and see a demo on that. I don't believe anyone has posted a video with a product from each manufacturer to show or not show their compatibility.

Personally I added cobras to my 24ft and I am so happy I did. The amount of steering control I have vs the stock keel is 100x better.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
EDIT 2:
Please do not ask why I say it, or why I believe it is necessary.

--

Look on my right wrist. It is the MOB+ wireless system. It replaces the lanyard. I made a video on that too BTW.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Clean hull, low humidity with ambient air temps in the 70s, and lightly loaded boat are all big factors. I noticed when it got hot and sticky this past summer my top speed suffered and as it cooled down in September my top speed picked back up. Given all of that do you still think either system had that big of an impact on top speed?
The test conditions were nearly identical. It was maybe 5 degrees warmer on the day I did the Cobra tests. The humidity was the same. Fuel and overall weight of the boat was the same. I started running with the JBP system from day 1. I don't know if the lateral thrusters create any drag or not. All I know is that the boat went 5mph faster the day I tested the Cobras.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The test conditions were nearly identical. It was maybe 5 degrees warmer on the day I did the Cobra tests. The humidity was the same. Fuel and overall weight of the boat was the same. I started running with the JBP system from day 1. I don't know if the lateral thrusters create any drag or not. All I know is that the boat went 5mph faster the day I tested the Cobras.
Hard to argue with that. Thanks for clarifying.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just got back off the water and wanted to pst while fresh. I am an under achiever with no video but here are my initial results. I docked three time in moderate wind. Reverse is improved with enough throttle but not to the level I have seen in lateral thruster video. High spped banking turns bleed less speed because less wheel turn is needed. High speed sharp turns are a bit improved as well but could not fully test with the wife and dogs on the boat (one is a pup).

So pretty much the same observations as @Foobar

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mainha, what setup are you running?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am running cobra aks with mega fangs. Now I really want the lateral thrusters too (I think Jeff is working in something to make that compatible) but if they are the speed reduction culprit that @Foobar observed I am not so sure.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually there is no mod needed for the magnum A k steering it is compatible with the side thrusters without any mod it is the ultimate steering that I have different side force stabilizers being made so we do not use the bottom bolt of the nozzle allowing the side thruster to use it thus making those compatible as well.
Right now I am making them for the late model nozzles only and only a few sets .
I would also think testing the mega fangs with the thrust vector xv steering may prove very interesting as they would add some steering to those and improve the reverse control also. I believe that would only be fair, test one test the other. Besides he loves doing all this video stuff . It would be easier to remove the fins with the mega fangs already installed and the second tie rod , reinstall the thrust vectors see what his speed is at the same time. and then do the other.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Actually there is no mod needed for the magnum A k steering it is compatible with the side thrusters without any mod it is the ultimate steering that I have different side force stabilizers being made so we do not use the bottom bolt of the nozzle allowing the side thruster to use it thus making those compatible as well.
Right now I am making them for the late model nozzles only and only a few sets .
I would also think testing the mega fangs with the thrust vector xv steering may prove very interesting as they would add some steering to those and improve the reverse control also. I believe that would only be fair, test one test the other. Besides he loves doing all this video stuff . It would be easier to remove the fins with the mega fangs already installed and the second tie rod , reinstall the thrust vectors see what his speed is at the same time. and then do the other.
Send me a set? I have everything else to test.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Oh ... works with the magnums. I will check this week.

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Foobar

You have the magnums and lateral thrusts correct? Love to see a demo of that.
Keep us updated.