• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vinyl Sauce Help

Mredman86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So I used Vinyl Sauce for the first time tonight on my new boat. It wasn’t as magical as I hoped!! I know this forum loves the stuff.

So tell me, how do you apply your vinyl sauce? I followed the directions with direct spraying the vinyl and wiping with a microfiber cloth and all theses black specks remained.

The boat was bought new with 2 hrs on it as it was used as a dealer demo.

Any help is appreciated! I’d love to get these specks off.

Attachments

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've found it to be very good, but not always magic.

My method is to do exactly what you did - I do dampen the towel with water first but that's probably not critical.

For tough spots, I wet the spot with Sauce well and let it set for a little bit (maybe a minute) then I rub in a circular motion with a good amount of pressure. That usually gets most of it but not always all.

In the few cases something is left behind I figure I'm pretty sure I won't notice it from arms length with my sunglasses on. ;) (Don't get me wrong, I understand the drive for that "perfect" detailing job. Being a father of 4 has beaten all that out of me.)

Others will likely chime in with better advice than mine.

Mredman86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The specks were there when we bought it. I assumed it was just dirt from being on the water as a demo.

Mredman86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've found it to be very good, but not always magic.

My method is to do exactly what you did - I do dampen the towel with water first but that's probably not critical.

For tough spots, I wet the spot with Sauce well and let it set for a little bit (maybe a minute) then I rub in a circular motion with a good amount of pressure. That usually gets most of it but not always all.

In the few cases something is left behind I figure I'm pretty sure I won't notice it from arms length with my sunglasses on. ;) (Don't get me wrong, I understand the drive for that "perfect" detailing job. Being a father of 4 has beaten all that out of me.)

Others will likely chime in with better advice than mine.
Yes I agree I likely won’t notice from a distant. Just that OCD feeling of knowing they are there when it’s new. 😊

Any other ideas are welcome to chime in. I’ll take all the help I can!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Magic eraser and vinyl sauce works.....well, like magic!

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You need to be careful using a Magic Eraser. It is a fine sanding sponge; and thereby,it works by abrading the surface. It can quickly make an area permanently dull because the shiny finish has been removed. With vinyl (unlike Gelcoat), you cannot polish the surface shiny again. Of course if you apply a surface enhancing liquid, it will appear shiny until the liquid wears off.

For me, I would use a Magic Eraser as a last resort.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use 303 protectant as cleaner also. If you have some dirty spots try your cleaner of choice with a soft bristle brush, maybe an old toothbrush to check the theory.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to be careful using a Magic Eraser. It is a fine sanding sponge; and thereby,it works by abrading the surface. It can quickly make an area permanently dull because the shiny finish has been removed. With vinyl (unlike Gelcoat), you cannot polish the surface shiny again. Of course if you apply a surface enhancing liquid, it will appear shiny until the liquid wears off.

For me, I would use a Magic Eraser as a last resort.
While it is true that melamine foam "erasers" such as the popular Magic Eraser are abrasive, it about the equivalent of 3000 grit abrasives. Care should definitely be used and as such I would strongly recommend the OP do their own research on using a magic eraser on vinyl. There are some caveats.
However, we have used one on our boat since new and I would challenge anyone to find where we used it. With that being said, we don't use a magic eraser for general cleaning. We use it for the small stains left over AFTER we have cleaned the interior and normal cleaning has not removed whatever. The OP was asking about small spots on his upholstery and this is exactly where a magic eraser would shine.
I have read many people feel using a magic eraser works better, quicker and is a lot less detrimental to the vinyl than most of the other home brewed hacks people attack their vinyl interiors with.

Edit: when the magic eraser is used with the vinyl sauce, the vinyl sauce also acts as a lubricant and minimizes any damage that might occur from overzealous scrubbing.
As always, this has been our experience and yours may differ.