• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vtech Maptuner ECU reflash - first impressions

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the research you're doing on this swatski! I just stumbled upon this thread yesterday. I'm looking forward to more updates, although I'd imagine it'll be awhile now with winter having set in.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, it looks like the Maptuner X systems are available now for pre-order with an approximate shipping date of March 14.

Here is the new "bundle" for Yamaha 1.8l, includes the new Maptuner X (supposedly 10x faster than the Maptuner) and 1 tuning license (which is good for 1 engine, unlimited reflashes)
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180&products_id=4250

I would wait for special pricing for the twin engines. They will be offering it eventually, but it may be a while, idk.

On the other hand, this may be a good time to buy a used non-X version Maptuner - I'm sure the classifieds on greenhulk will start showing them. The Maptuner may be slower but it works, takes about 10min per reflash. With the Maptuner (or Maptuner-X) at hand, one needs to purchase a tuning license at the store (included in the bundle).
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180&products_id=1958

The alternative is R&D reflash. It is less expensive overall, but requires sending-out your ECU, and can not reprogram (back to stock or anything else) without sending it out for additional fee.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski, if you are talking to the Maptuner guys please let them know that we would be happy to host a group buy for their single and twin engine products. I believe it would have the dual benefit of savings for our members and exposure and additional orders for them.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce That would be great. If I can offer my two cents, you may need to wait once they figure out how to deal with twin engine licensing. As of right now, their license works strictly per engine/ECU by creating an engine specific VIN. R&D product would be the same - they charge per ECU. If I had a twin, I would not want to pay double, to me this is almost like the Perfect Pass situation, you pay a little extra for a twin, but it is considered one unit.
They know it, and they will figure that out soon as there is enough Rotax twins out there now, and that is their forte.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps a group buy where I expect 10 to 20 orders is realistic would help them sort out their pricing.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski , I have definitely watched this thread with interest. I do admit, I probably never would tweak my boat these ways, but it is very interesting and the work you have done testing different combinations is fascinating and very educational. Thank you for that.

Now for my question: As we have reached the 7th page of this thread, is it fair to still have it entitled "First Impressions"? We might have crossed to second impressions at some point. :)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski , I have definitely watched this thread with interest. I do admit, I probably never would tweak my boat these ways, but it is very interesting and the work you have done testing different combinations is fascinating and very educational. Thank you for that.

Now for my question: As we have reached the 7th page of this thread, is it fair to still have it entitled "First Impressions"? We might have crossed to second impressions at some point. :)
:oops:
As they say, When you right, you right; and you right.
You know, I have been too busy (lazy) to clean it up and move the little bit of useful information to a new thread. It will be done. Famous last words, LOL.

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good Lord! Lazy? Little bit? Not at all. Your writeups and work on this are far from that! Just found the title funny when I was looking at it today, that is all. :)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I figured some people may find this helpful...
This new Maptuner X is incredibly sleek, and the Yamaha, Seadoo, and Kawasaki units are all the same. Only the cables are different.
Unfortunately, my hopes for a twin license deal are dead in the water... See at the bottom.

Some info from the Mothership in Sweden:

Maptuner X

Exterior
We have put a lot of focus on quality in our new device, it feels firm and the outer casing is made of high quality plastic. The surface texture makes it easy to grip and hold, it wont slide out of your hand.

The touch screen is a highly detailed high quality screen which reacts swiftly and correctly to any movement.

On the backside of the unit you'll find a mounting pattern which is compatible with all of RAM & Pro-clips mounts which means that you can install the unit in a very nice way into almost any type of vehicle. Maptun is a authorized retailer of Pro-clips products making it easy order your unit with suitable mount at the same time.

If you would like greater mobility a special area on the backside has also been adapted for magnetic fasteners.

Last but not least we have made the casing entry-proof so if tampering is made with the casing it is not possible to reassemble the unit without being clearly visible.

The operating system
Since this is a unit that we will be using for our software products for many years to come we have put a lot of focus on performance. The operating system has to work swiftly and feel fast. When you boot up your Maptuner X for the first time you will be surprised on how fast it is up and running, most of your other devices will feel slow in comparison.

Our aim is that opening apps and switching between functions need to be as fast as possible, we have also put a lot of effort in making the graphics look as intuitive and easy to use as possible.

Apps
When you purchase the Maptuner X, a number of basic apps are pre-installed into the system. These are the Tuning app which is used to tune a vehicle, Error-code reader which as the name suggests is used to find out what might be wrong with a vehicle, Add vehicle which is used to add new vehicles into the system that you want to work as well as a built in hidden feature called Remote Diagnostics which allows the staff at Maptun to diagnose in real time from a remote location.

When connecting your device to the internet you will be able to add more apps through your account, the apps are developed by Maptun and will be made available as development is completed.

Technical Info

Communication:
  • Bluetooth 4 (2,4 GHz)
  • HDMI to OBD2
  • USB2 (Mini)
Display:
  • 20V Clear LED-backlit touch-screen
Audio:
  • 2 Watt clear audio speaker
Casing:
  • Entryproof
  • Smooth friction surface
  • High durable, high quality plastic
  • Color adaptable (ie. paintable)

And more info from The Man at Greenhulk:

"The new Maptuner X system which is incredible, has touch screen technology and will write a Yamaha ECU in just under 60 seconds. Impressive! I have tuning bundle packages on sale 5% off. See link here
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180&products_id=4250"

About the leftover Maptuner (not X):

"So run this by the guys, when they buy a tuning bundle package they save 10%. They get a Maptuner, Yamaha Tuning Cable and one tuning license. The maptuner will program 2009 to 2013 skis/boats. I actually only have 13 of these left in stock and when sold will be discontinued.
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180&products_id=4274"

And here is the bad news:

"I actually spoke to Fredrik, the owner of Maptun and asked him about the twin boat deal and he informed me a license would always be required for each ECU / each engine. Sorry about that!"

--

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does Maptuner X work on all boats 2014 and newer as well?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does Maptuner X work on all boats 2014 and newer as well?
Yes, all 1.8l N/A engine ECUs will use the same reflash programming, SHO and SVHO are different. Not sure what is the deal with CARB boats (California air... whatever), I would double check on that as there are hardware differences as well such as catalytic converters.

I have found the Vtech guys to be super responsive, if you have specific questions:
Michel V-tech Tuning <michel@vtech.se>
Jonatan Holmelius <jonatan@vtech.se>

Jerry Gaddis responds to this email super fast, too:
Store <pwcperformancestore@gmail.com>

--

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does it also act as a diagnostic tool? Does it show things like throttle position and sensor voltages? The description of the "apps" seems a little vague. Could help justify the price if it were similar to a scan tool or had other capabilities.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One other quick question..?.why do they not include Yamaha "boats" in the product description? I'd feel more comfortable buying it if my vehicle was actually listed. Lol.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does it also act as a diagnostic tool? Does it show things like throttle position and sensor voltages? The description of the "apps" seems a little vague. Could help justify the price if it were similar to a scan tool or had other capabilities.
I believe the X has some basic diagnostic tools, but it is not a data logger. It will also not replace YDS for Yamaha for now. Yamaha is a bit of an afterthought for Vtech guys.

One other quick question..?.why do they not include Yamaha "boats" in the product description? I'd feel more comfortable buying it if my vehicle was actually listed. Lol.
These are primarily geared towards jet ski market. That said, newer Yamaha boats all share 1.8l engines with skis, N/A or SC. Vtech guys are historically more focused on Rotax engines. R&D has been a more popular option with Yamaha engines thus far. This may change with the X, as it is so much more user friendly. Either will do fine in a boat, both R&D and Vtech Stage 1-2 were developed with reliability in mind, and will perform indistinguishably for recreational user.
I just like the flexibility of Vtech system.

--