• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Booster VS Thrust Vector Wake

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I missed your Booster posts last week, we were on vacation. Looks really good, as you also showed in the other thread!

The combination of Gatlin custom swim deck bag and another big one in the center locker, plus whatever else may be to fine tune - seems to be the winning combo! We find it to work best with the Wedge as well. The Wedge is a bit of a pain to mount on the go, and to switch sides you basically need two... but we love it as all surf regular (one of us was forced to go regular, lol, she is the youngest) and we just leave the Wedge mounted, extended flat, for days with no ill effects.

I don't understand the @JetBoatPilot repeated comments on the Booster wave getting washy with ballast, I have not seen or heard this yet from anyone else.

It might be JBP is a wake surfing expert and knows what no one else does, but still his Booster comments smell a little bit like a slick snub to steer people into buying into his TVWs.
Well, good luck with that but maybe we can start with a SIDE-BY-SIDE comparison, TVWs vs no TVWs surfing?

--
Do you guys ever ride the goofy side wave? The doomswell dudes told me on almost every boat the goofy wave is better. I'm goofy and ride both sides of the wave. Sometimes I ride the regular wave switch sometimes I just ride it backside. I always feel like whatever side the swim deck ballast is on the other side is better. I know it's weird but it is what we experience.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you guys ever ride the goofy side wave? The doomswell dudes told me on almost every boat the goofy wave is better. I'm goofy and ride both sides of the wave. Sometimes I ride the regular wave switch sometimes I just ride it backside. I always feel like whatever side the swim deck ballast is on the other side is better. I know it's weird but it is what we experience.
He is right Goofy side is always a better looking wave...... ever wonder why the Wake booster promo pictures are always on that side? ( image mirrored for promotion ) The Goofy wave that my boat throws is massive!!!

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
From an engineering standpoint why is the goofy side wave always better?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So they work better when your going right
The impeller/prop rotates in a clockwise direction. Here is a volvo pento wake I found on the net. No ballast just a regular boat. You can see the wake is bigger. Give it a look behind your boat sometime also. You can see the difference.

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One thing I have noticed about the booster is that if you add ballast the wave gets washy. Just our first observation but the reason I make the point is that the wave looks good without it but you may not be able to add wave height if you're not satisfied with the wave height as it is. We could be wrong about this and if it is proven otherwise we'll retract but wanted to be sure to add our observation.
YouTube: WakeBooster with ballast producing a clean wake. 2017 Yamaha 212X.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, that is fantastic! The last 2 minutes and that 360 at the end is great - nice, nice wave!
This must be one of the best vids of 212 and Yama Booster.

Unfortunately, this individual @JetBoatPilot has been spreading slick (and innocent sounding) jabs and underhanded digs just about every other competitor product for surfing, steering, and now... speed control.
Well, looks like he must be full of shit. This wave is amazing, contrary to what he would have people believe. Ouch!

--

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When you add the swim deck bag what is your stock ballast set at? All 1100lbs full?
All 1100lbs are full when the custom 750lbs Fatsac is on the surf side. I tried reducing the rear non surf side to 40% or empty as a test, but have not seen a difference. The two adults are on the surf side, which works out perfect, since she is goofy foot.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would like to say Wakewedge and WakeBooster are very similar In the wake produced when using the extra ballast on the deck. Both are great products with the same goal in mind - a great wake. Have not tested JetBoatPilot’s thrust kit, but glad they are putting another option out there.
Great vid and wildly impressive wake. Something to shoot for on our 242x once our wakeballast arrives next week. No difference when full side vs. surf side? So did you prefer to fill both or just the surf side?
During the two days of testing my preference was to keep all full. Also, I found another trick to fill the center at 107%. Once at 100%, keep pushing the arrow up on the screen, and it will allow the center ballast to reach 107%. If you want even more, fill with an external ballast pump.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Onserve212X Would you say that adding ballast made the wave taller or about the same? Was the wave washy with added ballast or about the same.

Contrary to a few opinions on this thread, we are looking for facts and sell our product based on actual feedback from users. This feedback will help us better when answering questions when people ask. Our current position as stated was derived from videos posted by wake booster users and conversations with some on the phone.

We in no way sought to trash or demean the booster product. On the contrary, as weve learned more we've begun advising customers who already bought the booster to not try to combine the two products as we believe they accomplish similar results and won't have a synergistic result if combined.

As we learn more we'll continue to adapt our sales language. This is fair and standard practice for any company that is evaluating new technology. We just do it real time in the public eye which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@Onserve212X Would you say that adding ballast made the wave taller or about the same? Was the wave washy with added ballast or about the same.

Contrary to a few opinions on this thread, we are looking for facts and sell our product based on actual feedback from users. This feedback will help us better when answering questions when people ask. Our current position as stated was derived from videos posted by wake booster users and conversations with some on the phone.

We in no way sought to trash or demean the booster product. On the contrary, as weve learned more we've begun advising customers who already bought the booster to not try to combine the two products as we believe they accomplish similar results and won't have a synergistic result if combined.

As we learn more we'll continue to adapt our sales language. This is fair and standard practice for any company that is evaluating new technology. We just do it real time in the public eye which has its advantages and disadvantages.
You have repeatedly said the Wake booster washes out with full ballast. You have repeatedly been proven wrong on youtube. Starting to look as if you want to demean the competition to make your product appear to be more appealing.

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have experience with TVW.

I can say that the WakeBooster provides a damn near perfect wave for us. Everyone that has tried on our boat has successfully surfed ropeless. The more talented folks have been able to do some tricks. I'll repeat this on every thread I can, because it's far and away the best mod we've done to our Yamaha.

Our setup:
900lbs in ski locker (750lbs Fatsac, 150lbs steel shot)
Gantlin Fatsac on the swim deck
100lbs steel shot under port seat
Yamaha WakeBooster
Slingshot Coaster board that comes with Booster (LOVE it!!)

I cannot recommend the WakeBooster enough.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You have repeatedly said the Wake booster washes out with full ballast. You have repeatedly been proven wrong on youtube. Starting to look as if you want to demean the competition to make your product appear to be more appealing.
We have stated our opinion as we've seen it. Nothing wrong with that. Our opinion will continue to be the same until we see evidence that the wave does not get washy with added ballast.

We believe the Thrust Vector Wake has advantages over the booster and other wake shapers in the market. Due to the amount of involvement we have on this forum and other social channels, we've been asked lots of questions by customers and potential customers, to which we've attempted to answer as accurately as we could with the information we had on hand at that time.

We are not who you and other nay sayers say about us. If you study our track record, we are here to help. We answer questions from all over the world, often times from people who are not even looking to buy a product from us, many times on weekends and late at night. We believe we have earned the respect of many on this board and will continue to operate as we have these past 9 years.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will not trash anyone for stating theirs. We'll let our customers and those that who've been helped by JetBoatPilot over the years attest to what they think about us. That's where the truth comes from anyway, not what I think of myself or of my company, but from those we've served.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

I can say that the WakeBooster provides a damn near perfect wave for us. Everyone that has tried on our boat has successfully surfed ropeless. The more talented folks have been able to do some tricks. I'll repeat this on every thread I can, because it's far and away the best mod we've done to our Yamaha.

Our setup:
Yamaha WakeBooster

How did the wave look without ballast vs. with ballast? Was there any change in the lip in regards to turbulence or added wash?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Our setup:
Yamaha WakeBooster

So you have any steering assist mods?

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did the wave look without ballast vs. with ballast? Was there any change in the lip in regards to turbulence or added wash?
The wave "looks" surfable without ballast, but is not. There's a little push, but not enough. It looks cleaner than with ballast, but that's just visual. It's not an indicator of the quality of ride in our opinion.

We have no problem with wash or turbulence in the wave with ballast. We noticed a little bit of spray at first, but we realized over time that it was only happening on choppy days. When it's choppy, we use a very slight turn toward the surfer and that removes the spray.