• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Booster VS Thrust Vector Wake

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did the wave look without ballast vs. with ballast? Was there any change in the lip in regards to turbulence or added wash?
In case anyone thinks I'm making this up, or that I prefer one vendor over another... here is a great shot of the wave.

I repeat... I don't have experience with TVW.

All I can say is that the WakeBooster + Gantlin bag + ski locker bag has completely changed my mindset away from buying a V-drive boat right now. We were so close to buying a Moomba Makai or Malibu 23LSV. We are so happy we didn't... at least for now ;). I'm a big JBP fan. I'm a big Gantlin fan. I'm a huge Yamaha fan. Just trying to help other people trying to make decisions on how to spend their hard earned money with my personal experience/opinion.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
We have stated our opinion as we've seen it. Nothing wrong with that. Our opinion will continue to be the same until we see evidence that the wave does not get washy with added ballast.

We believe the Thrust Vector Wake has advantages over the booster and other wake shapers in the market. Due to the amount of involvement we have on this forum and other social channels, we've been asked lots of questions by customers and potential customers, to which we've attempted to answer as accurately as we could with the information we had on hand at that time.

We are not who you and other nay sayers say about us. If you study our track record, we are here to help. We answer questions from all over the world, often times from people who are not even looking to buy a product from us, many times on weekends and late at night. We believe we have earned the respect of many on this board and will continue to operate as we have these past 9 years.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will not trash anyone for stating theirs. We'll let our customers and those that who've been helped by JetBoatPilot over the years attest to what they think about us. That's where the truth comes from anyway, not what I think of myself or of my company, but from those we've served.
agree to disagree. I'd say more but I'm in a good mood today.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At this point sitting on the sidelines waiting for my investment to show up, all I am doing is looking at videos and photos. There are so many options, and so many of you are really getting good surf results with your mods. It's fun to watch.

But, it's time to put up or shut up. If you don't have photo or video proof then it's all just opinion, and just like buttholes, everyone seems to have them and in the case of opinions sharing them here (I don't want to see your buttholes) ha.

So on the vein of the putting up and shutting up, the Gantlin product package of wedge and custom ballast puts up. All photos and video seem to be amazing. If that package fits your budget and style, it seems like a great deal.

The Wake booster seems like an ideal package for those getting started. As it's simple to install, simple to move, and it's the complete package for the starters that don't even own a board. AND, the pics/video seem to be great so far

The TVWake, from what little we have seen seems to be working, and to our surprise, the single engine boats seem to be cleaning up better than the twins. Or maybe it's just because there are more of them out and installed so far. And their ballast seems to be great for those that want to fine tune if you don't mind the weight always being there, it's not for everyone.

My bummer is I have yet to see what one of the TVW prototypes will do on a 242 with or without ballast. And better yet, with the Gantlin transom ballast, which seems to be the most flexible/efficient use of ballast on these boats. I don't know of anyone that owns this bag and has gotten the TVW or prototype installed yet. And I don't expect JBPilot to show results using competitive products like the bag or the booster. (please don't go off on me about the vid with the speed control product, i'm over that conversation as it does not concern me, they can work it out)

So until that comes along, I am just going to sit back and wait for that proof, or my order to be shipped. At that time, I will do the same, put up some photos/video or ship it back and get a refund. And at that same time, I will shut up about this stupid witch hunt going on. It's not productive to any of the conversations going on here. If you have made an investment in a competitors product, fine we hope to see photos and videos (as most of you have done)

If you have given up with yamaha altogether and moved on, great, we even enjoy seeing what the other boats are doing. But end this stupid witch hunt. If these vendors have issues with each other, let them hammer it out offline or in court. If they didn't feel the need to chase it that far, then why the hell should we hash it out for them here?

Let it rest, and get out on your boat already. And if you find some flaws in any of these products, please continue to share them back to the vendors as that is productive conversation. But not in the form of a witch hunt. If I have issues when I actually get my order, I would go back to them right away. If they can't make it right, I will get a refund. Enough said.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At this point sitting on the sidelines waiting for my investment to show up, all I am doing is looking at videos and photos. There are so many options, and so many of you are really getting good surf results with your mods. It's fun to watch.

But, it's time to put up or shut up. If you don't have photo or video proof then it's all just opinion, and just like buttholes, everyone seems to have them and in the case of opinions sharing them here (I don't want to see your buttholes) ha.

So on the vein of the putting up and shutting up, the Gantlin product package of wedge and custom ballast puts up. All photos and video seem to be amazing. If that package fits your budget and style, it seems like a great deal.

The Wake booster seems like an ideal package for those getting started. As it's simple to install, simple to move, and it's the complete package for the starters that don't even own a board. AND, the pics/video seem to be great so far

The TVWake, from what little we have seen seems to be working, and to our surprise, the single engine boats seem to be cleaning up better than the twins. Or maybe it's just because there are more of them out and installed so far. And their ballast seems to be great for those that want to fine tune if you don't mind the weight always being there, it's not for everyone.

My bummer is I have yet to see what one of the TVW prototypes will do on a 242 with or without ballast. And better yet, with the Gantlin transom ballast, which seems to be the most flexible/efficient use of ballast on these boats. I don't know of anyone that owns this bag and has gotten the TVW or prototype installed yet. And I don't expect JBPilot to show results using competitive products like the bag or the booster. (please don't go off on me about the vid with the speed control product, i'm over that conversation as it does not concern me, they can work it out)

So until that comes along, I am just going to sit back and wait for that proof, or my order to be shipped. At that time, I will do the same, put up some photos/video or ship it back and get a refund. And at that same time, I will shut up about this stupid witch hunt going on. It's not productive to any of the conversations going on here. If you have made an investment in a competitors product, fine we hope to see photos and videos (as most of you have done)

If you have given up with yamaha altogether and moved on, great, we even enjoy seeing what the other boats are doing. But end this stupid witch hunt. If these vendors have issues with each other, let them hammer it out offline or in court. If they didn't feel the need to chase it that far, then why the hell should we hash it out for them here?

Let it rest, and get out on your boat already. And if you find some flaws in any of these products, please continue to share them back to the vendors as that is productive conversation. But not in the form of a witch hunt. If I have issues when I actually get my order, I would go back to them right away. If they can't make it right, I will get a refund. Enough said.
Someone posted a video the other week on facebook of the TVWakes on a 242X and it looked pretty dang good. I can't remember his ballast setup, or if he is a member here or not. He had also bought the wakebooster package but was returning it in favor of the TVwakes.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Onserve212X Would you say that adding ballast made the wave taller or about the same? Was the wave washy with added ballast or about the same.

Contrary to a few opinions on this thread, we are looking for facts and sell our product based on actual feedback from users. This feedback will help us better when answering questions when people ask. Our current position as stated was derived from videos posted by wake booster users and conversations with some on the phone.

We in no way sought to trash or demean the booster product. On the contrary, as weve learned more we've begun advising customers who already bought the booster to not try to combine the two products as we believe they accomplish similar results and won't have a synergistic result if combined.

As we learn more we'll continue to adapt our sales language. This is fair and standard practice for any company that is evaluating new technology. We just do it real time in the public eye which has its advantages and disadvantages.
Adding the 750lbs ballast made the wave taller and provided more thrust. Check out the video.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Adding the 750lbs ballast made the wave taller and provided more thrust. Check out the video.
That looks really good. The last video we saw with ballast added showed the lip getting washed out a bit. Not sure the difference here but this is enough for me to change my position. About how high was the wave? Knee high, thigh high?...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That looks really good. The last video we saw with ballast added showed the lip getting washed out a bit. Not sure the difference here but this is enough for me to change my position. About how high was the wave? Knee high, thigh high?...
Great question! After looking at a few other videos we have, my guess is mid-thigh.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm kicking myslef for buying boards last winter as I'm watching @J-RAD thread, he is testing all of the boards for us, his recommendations should be solid. He is a hard worker, too, very committed! lol

--
Just another day in the salt mines... ⛏ ;)

Thanks for the shout out! Perhaps now I should segway into mentioning how ALL of the Slingshot wakesurf boards and wakeboards are on sale for a extra 15% off now thru Friday. No codes... Just a solid deal and free shipping.
Transom Watersports | Wakeboard | Wakesurf | Wakefoil | SUP

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I too am boatless but watching with interest. Planning to buy a 242X over the winter. Based on what I'm reading I think the WakeBooster kit and a Gantlin transom sack will be a good place to start. Can always do a Wedge later if that is superior.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
so, just got off calls with the only local yammy dealers near me and no one has wakebooster. One parts manager got really loose lipped and said that their yamaha rep was pushing for answers of availability and he is now ignored directly from yamaha..? Crazy.. Apparently both dealers near me ordered "with the boat orders" back in December/Jan and just got them all in and to their customers in June and have not been able to order more.

Something must be wrong.. ? Maybe scupper valve closure/ water flooding issues? can't seem to find any data.

Reading all of the opinions on this thread I am more confused.. but I do have to say the TVW is a two for one in my opinion, better steering at low speed and wake cleanup.

I am interested in something, just looking for something economical that works. I'll hold rope until then ;) hahaha

mike

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
From what I was able to gather when I bought mine, was that dealers ordered the number of booster kits they wanted back when they placed their boat orders for the year. Yamaha didn't allow them to place any more orders after that. Once a dealer sold through their stock, they were out. All of the Dealers I called in NorCal were out, but there were some kits in SoCal, and a dealer down there ended up shipping a kit to me.

As one dealer in NorCal said, "we really underestimated the demand for these kits when we ordered last fall." That same dealer also said, "we won't be able to order any more until we can order boats again this fall."

My guess is that Slingshot only made enough boards to cover the ordered kits and then when they were gone, they were gone.

My prediction is that there will be WAY more kits ordered this fall.

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll soon have all 3 and will report comparisons as well as pros and cons to each. Currently we’ve been surfing with 2 wedges (one for each side) for 2 years now. I received the Booster a Couple months ago and have surfed it a few times. Lastly I’ve pre-ordered the TVW back in May and hope to play with them soon...
I also look forward to testing in combination the TVW and Booster together if there is clearance and they don’t interfere with one another.
Any update on your findings?
Thanks

Brian

Patrick Hoang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can the wakebooster be used with the TVW on a 2018 yamaha 242x?

I like the wave of the wakebooster but I want to improve on slow speed steering and jet wash.