• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Mode Tutorial Please SX 195

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all - Following up off a previous post/thread...
My SX-195 owners manual is next to worthless for instructions on using the wake mode.
Of course I have searched online but can't find anything on YouTube.
Anyone someplace it is still warm who would be willing to shoot a video tutorial for me (us)?
  • Throttle control position to activate?
  • Literally how to turn it on or engage it?
  • How you "bump" the throttle to aid steering?
  • Etc...
I want to learn but don't know where to start.
Thanks,
John

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

This is a good video on docking using the bump throttle method. He mentions mentions maintaining rpms, which is with the no wake mode. Just push the no wake button once or twice for the mode you want. Move the throttle just out of neutral. If you go to far you will deactivate the no wake mode. Good luck.

Last edited:

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah - I did watch that one.
Kind of feel it lacking a bit on real instruction.
I'm a teacher (actually kind of famous on YouTube) so I know what I'm looking for and that isn't quite enough.
Heck once I get the hang of it I can shoot a video for others...

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Its not that involved or difficult. There's only one way to really learn it. Take the basic theory and practice it on the water. Most important is move the steering wheel, then bump the throttle.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2 motor boat, I assume it works the same with a single.
You have 2 COMPLETELY separate systems operating together.

Throttle / Gate Lever:
The Throttle lever does 2 things on our boats.
- It changes the position of the Jet 'Gate' (allowing more or less water to be pushed out the back of the jet drive)
- It changes the RPM of the engine (s) (allowing higher speeds in forward or reverse)

The 'No Wake Mode' button sets the Engine RPMs at one of 3 set levels
- My know that my No Wake 3 is 2000 RPM and about 5-6 MPH

Throttle Positions: (if you are confused on the throttle positions, the boat will only start in position 2 (neutral) )

1 - Forward - Opens the Gate 100% - Pushing past the 1-Step forward will increase RPM (and speed)
2 - Neutral - Sets the Gate at Neutral Position ( 1/2 Open) - If adjusted properly the boat will sit nearly idle. My boat moves forward at a slow rate
3 - Reverse - Sets the Gate to 100% closed - ALL of the thrust will be directed under the boat to push it backward (or sideways with the Lateral Thrusters if the wheel is turned) Pushing the Throttle level further back will increase RPM and move the boat backward more.

No Wake Mode:

1 - First time you push the "No Wake" button it will set the engine RPM to a pre-determined setting. I think about 1600 RPM
2 - Pushing the top (+) of the "No Wake" button will increase the RPM ( I think to 1800)
3 - Pushing the top again (+) will increase the engine RPM to 2000

The No Wake mode will work at all 3 Throttle Positions:

1 - Forward - At No Wake 3 my boat move forward at about 5-6 MPH, this is the speed I travel in No Wake zones
2 - Neutral - At No Wake 3 my boat moves forward at about 2 mph. I'm only in this mode for a short time while transitioning to Forward
3 - Reverse - I don't know that I have used the No Wake button in reverse. Once I am docking or maneuvering in tight spacses I disengage the No Wake setting.

I believe pushing Down (-) from setting #1 will disengage the mode and return the engine to idle RPMs

The "No Wake" button on my boat also engages the "Cruise Assist" (basically Cruise Control like on your car)

Say you are Cruising at 25 mph on the water:
Hit the top of the button (+) and it will lock the engine RPMs to that setting.

Hitting the (+) again will increase the engine RPM by 100
Hitting the (-) will decrease the engine RPM by 100

No Wake Mode is disengaged at soon as you apply additional throttle in the forward motion (I assume it will disengage in reverse throttle too)

Jtown1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
SX195 maneuverability at idle whether in forward or reverse is sluggish. No Wake Mode gives you three settings where the idle is higher. The higher the idle, the more thrust you have, and more maneuverability. Put the boat in forward to the first detent and push the no wake button up one time and idle will increase. You have three settings, low, medium, high. Idle increases each time you push the switch up and down each time you push it down. The RPM's will stay at that level whether you're in forward, neutral, or reverse, and you can shift between them without it shutting off. For docking on a calm day, I use No Wake 1. For docking on a windy day, I use No Wake 2. I only use No Wake 3 for getting through no wake zones the fastest without making a wake. You can switch between the modes at any time with the rocker switch, either up, down, or off. It will also kick off as soon as you add throttle above idle speed. Keep in mind that this is a jet boat. There are no gears to grind going from forward to reverse with the higher idle speed. I use at least No Wake 1 for almost all docking and loading, bumping between forward and neutral to control forward speed while still having some control.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok you can add the super ultimate AK-19 deluxe system on your 19 foot boat and drive it at slow speeds in forward and reverse or at high speeds like a sports car on a dry road and everywhere in between, plus you get a faster hole shot ,a smoother ride in chop and a cleaner wake for watersport activities as well as control when turning and rapidly decelerating,, it makes driving your boat easy and predictable for everyone.
Get the Buy Direct Discount Price = only $268.99 with free domestic shipping included and you don't need to practice doing anything except smiling and relaxing when you drive your boat.

Attachments

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don't use the no wake mode to dock. I find it much easier bumping from neutral to forward,etc to maintain control and the speed you want. I also have cobra fins as well.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can still use reverse, neutral and forward while NWM is engaged. It allows for more maneuverability due to increased thrust.

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m usually going as slow as possible when docking.
“Don’t approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it”

Last edited:

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You can still use reverse, neutral and forward while NWM is engaged. It allows for more maneuverability due to increased thrust.
I know I just found that I feel like I have more control of the situation if it's off

Jtown1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm bumping between forward and neutral while no wake mode is engaged to control momentum. When I do bump into forward, the boat reacts significantly faster than at idle, but is by no means abrupt. In my opinion, the Yamaha in no wake mode 1 provides roughly the same amount of thrust that my last Malibu tournament ski boat did at idle. The Yamaha at idle seems to provide roughly half the thrust as the Malibu. I only have four hours on my Yamaha, but I'm not going to have any trouble maneuvering, docking, or loading the boat using the no wake mode. This is my first jet boat, but I have a lot of experience docking stern drives, direct drives, and V-drives from 18' to 46', so other boaters may not share my opinion.