• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Surfing for Big People????????

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD I'm interested in a a Slingshot if you're keeping a list of future buyers. I'm 6'2" 195.
I'll shoot you some info in a DM and touch base on inventory.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing wrong with rope surfing. I have just come to the realization that I don't want to mess with adding even more weight and gizmos, as rope surfing is fun, and very little setup. By the time we deploy all our ballast etc, then the group in the boat is ready to switch sides, or go hang out. It's so selfish, that I just rope surf and get it out of my system.
Yep. Forgot about switching sides. Our crew is 50/50. Sucks

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It should be considered a given that you will probably need considerable extra ballast and a wake shaping device on the boat. When you consider that actual surf boats typically weigh thousands of pounds more than a Yamaha and then carry 3K-5K+ in additional ballast, it becomes evident that adding 400 - 800 llbs to a Yamaha is probably not sufficient to produce a strong enough wave for a big rider.

For a large surfer, like the OP, the board you choose is going to be almost as important as the equipment on the boat. I'd encourage you to read threads on wakeboat forums for information about a bit more of a variety of boards than we typically see here. You are going to want something FAST and with a lot of length and volume to stay on top of the water and in the pocket. Something made of foam and epoxy like a real surfboard, not a thin pressed board. This is not likely to be an inexepensive board, but money spent here will have a big impact on how much fun you have. Foot position and technique will be very important, so plan on spending quite a bit of time holding on to the rope while trying small variations of different stances.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It should be considered a given that you will probably need considerable extra ballast and a wake shaping device on the boat. When you consider that actual surf boats typically weigh thousands of pounds more than a Yamaha and then carry 3K-5K+ in additional ballast, it becomes evident that adding 400 - 800 llbs to a Yamaha is probably not sufficient to produce a strong enough wave for a big rider.

For a large surfer, like the OP, the board you choose is going to be almost as important as the equipment on the boat. I'd encourage you to read threads on wakeboat forums for information about a bit more of a variety of boards than we typically see here. You are going to want something FAST and with a lot of length and volume to stay on top of the water and in the pocket. Something made of foam and epoxy like a real surfboard, not a thin pressed board. This is not likely to be an inexepensive board, but money spent here will have a big impact on how much fun you have. Foot position and technique will be very important, so plan on spending quite a bit of time holding on to the rope while trying small variations of different stances.
I agree with the statement that board choice becomes increasingly relevant and more limited when accounting for heavier riders and modest size waves.

I spend a fair amount of time reading advice on wakesurf forums and as it relates to our jet boats, you have to adjust for scale. The same size rider will need a size larger (or 2 sizes larger) board behind a jet boat than they would find preferable behind a v-drive. There are several great option that work and handle great. I don't make a recommendation on a board for jet boat owners without first asking what boat and setup they have or plan on in addition to their weight range. Both are critically important to the equation in terms of success and satisfaction. Sometimes the answer is a different board, sometimes the answer is a 5'3" vs a 5'0".

Frankly I didn't have an answer for some riders. My board choices weren't broad enough to match a board with their weight and boat configuration. The Slingshot Coaster has been a very successful in the segment because it was quite literally designed behind a Yamaha. However, despite the speed it carries, it's 5'3" size and volume would find its limit behind the most exceptional Yamaha wave at about ~285lbs. This year we have some new options with boards up to 5'6" that will be an answer for bigger riders. I don't have my own side-by-side comparison, but Yamaha has this image showing the size difference between the 5'3" Coaster and the 5'6" Boss Hoss.
Screenshot_20200813-072814_Chrome.jpg

I'm afraid you're also right about cost. The unfortunate truth is that the Boss Hoss will likely cost more. I typically have the margin to offer a good discount and free shipping on most wakesurfers like the Coaster. However the Boss Hoss seems to just breach the threshold on size with UPS and FedEx. They want to charge us $200+ to ship a Boss Hoss vs the average $75 to ship a Coaster. Hopefully we find a way to negotiate a lower rate... it's a bit ridiculous!

Anyway... what was I talking about? Wakesurfing is fun, no matter how you manage it. As long as it's not behind an outboard.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
The king of big waves... not jetboat specific but the basics still apply.

If we use the same principles on our 19's wouldn't make sense to put a bag in the ski locker in addition the two cubes on the transom and some extra lead on the ski side.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
It depends .... are you trying to make the surfable pocket longer or stronger? I find that with beginners behind the boat, 300 lbs in the ski locker works well with 650-850 on the rear platform. The wave is a little less powerful, but the surfable length is extended by 5-10 ft depending on their weight.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Anyway... what was I talking about? Wakesurfing is fun, no matter how you manage it. As long as it's not behind an outboard.
Which we did when we were young, behind a 120 2 stroke, on a surf board..... in retrospect it was completely idiotic yet at the time, we thought we had everything figured out .... :) Scary part is, I really don't remember someone even hinting at the risk of falling into the prop.