• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake surfing safe on a jet boat? and best beginner wake surfing board

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
None if you just use a rope, and as you are learning you will not be able to go ropeless right away. I had to get my surf board legs and I have only been able to go ropeless once. Every person is different and they like their wave a certain way, what works for one may not work for another. I would say get good friends with someone with a ballast set-up and try it on their boat first.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So how much ballast would my 242 need to be able to surf? I'd love to try this, but haven't started down the ballast path yet.
From what I am seeing from other posts, the 242 needs more ballast that other models for some reason. I find that the wave on our boat does not begin to look good until I have over 2,000lbs in the boat. I run around 3,000 and can go ropeless on a 6' 1" Duke. That is a large board, but I am a large dude. I intend to purchase the Red Rocket this year. I am still not happy with what I have for a wake, and intend to spend even more time this year experimenting with location, but at the end of last season I had settled on 500lb bag on the Port bow seat, 1,100lb bag on the floor as far back as possible, a 900lb bag on the rear port seat, and 500lbs on the upper swim deck.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How about a wake skate, would that be a better intermediary step?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is a cross between wakeboarding and wake surfing. Not strapped in like a wake board but still going at wakeboard speed as I understand it. I have not done it so I am not exactly sure but my friend has a wake skate board and I guess I will be trying it this summer. :winkingthumbsup"

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've read that some people prefer just the knotted end ropes because you can get your arm or hand caught in the handle and that does not end well. I bought a couple of these obrien ropes and really like them. I have no issues holding on to get up.
http://www.amazon.com/Obrien-Knotted-Wakesurf-Rope-White/dp/B001W4JI3S

the ronix one listed in a previous post looks good too.