• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake surfing safe on a jet boat? and best beginner wake surfing board

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Looking at a couple boards to start wake surfing this year. Any recommendations? Looked at the ride and Hyperlite Landlock. Anyone use the landlock?

The boards say not to use on jet boats, anyone ever have any issues? Any CO or exhaust issues being close to the boat?

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use the Landlock, it's a good starter board for just cruising and will allow most to surf. It's longer so it will work with our boats without ballast. However, adding ballast is always better.

We'll start right from the platform, I think the exhaust risk wouldn't be any different than other boats.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Only thing my board said is swim deck starting will void the warranty. I have an inland surfer tako board.

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure how well it will do but I just got a Liquid Force Fish Wakesurfer 5' for my kids only $224 at EVO. its a 2013 but they won't care.

Last edited:

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sometimes we surf 8 hours a day on a weekend. I think as long as you are off the boat, you are ok. The CO hasn't made me any dumber...but I might be making me less motivated to go back to work! :winkingthumbsup"

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@007 Holy Cow 8 hours? What are you like Superman or something, lol. Me - tube 20 minutes, ski 20 minutes, wakeboard 20 minutes. Rest of the day drink Beer and drive boat or float and listen to stereo and drink beer.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am with 007, surfing doesn't make me tired at all, just more motivated to surf!!

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@007 Holy Cow 8 hours? What are you like Superman or something, lol. Me - tube 20 minutes, ski 20 minutes, wakeboard 20 minutes. Rest of the day drink Beer and drive boat or float and listen to stereo and drink beer.
Not superman...just love to be on the water and am lucky to have a lot of jetboat friends that like to surf. 15 minute run to surf spot, ballast up, 4-6 people surfing, probably 20 minutes per surfer for a couple of rotations, some lunch, drink beer, switch to a goofy foot setup, a couple of more rotations, time to drain the ballast and go home!

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the info!

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
what Jeff said... can surf all day... as long was we got beer and water :)

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cannot find a surf rope locally, what is the length you guys are using? I may have to make something up until I can order one by mail.

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
most surf ropes are similar in length. They also can be adjustable usually. my advice would be get one with a handle. We had one with just knots in it, but some people had hard time getting up with it.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I much prefer a thick surf rope. The skinny ones are kinda hard to grip if you have to pull yourself forward into the wake. Some people prefer the "t" handle, I prefer the regular style (a small version of a ski handle).

CarFanatic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
all wakesurf ropes should be fairly thick. This way they don't store energy and fly into the boat when someone falls.

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm really hoping to get the family and I into wake surfing. Looks fun

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So how much ballast would my 242 need to be able to surf? I'd love to try this, but haven't started down the ballast path yet.