• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake surfing safety

Jkuhn4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Is it safe to wakesurf without a wake booster? I’m asking because of the effects of carbon monoxide from the engine exhaust fumes.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes but in my 10 years of wakesurfing I have felt a little nautious a few times after a long 3 to 5 minute run.

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it safe to wakesurf without a wake booster? I’m asking because of the effects of carbon monoxide from the engine exhaust fumes.
If you have fat sacs on the transom the exhaust should be completely underwater, correct?

Jkuhn4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I’m not using ballast right now. Plan on getting some in the future. I wake-surfed the other day for about an hour and was completely fine.

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not using ballast right now. Plan on getting some in the future. I wake-surfed the other day for about an hour and was completely fine.
What boat do you have? Using a wake booster? I've got a 195 and am just getting started with surfing. Trying to learn all I can.

Jkuhn4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a 2014 Ar192. Using nothing right now. Wave is OK but have to hold rope at all times. Can still carve the wave and do small tricks. I use the liquid force pod surfboard

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2014 Ar192. Using nothing right now. Wave is OK but have to hold rope at all times. Can still carve the wave and do small tricks. I use the liquid force pod surfboard
👍

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My .02 c. Surfing behind 195s last 3 years here are some thoughts-
- Is it safe? There is always a risk in water sports. Rule of thumb don’t wrap the rope around anything or coil up slack or you could lose a thumb or something else. Surfing downwind can create a higher exhaust exposure so we always try to avoid that when possible.
- letting go of rope on 195. You don’t need a wakebooster as the single engine doesn’t create bad wash. on double engine models they are highly recommended. You need a good amount of pitch (bow up) to create push. 5 ppl on boat seated in the right places with transom ballast actually creates a pretty good wave on the 195, just my opinion- but I think better than the twin engine larger boats
- And the wakebooster does NOT reduce exhaust and the exhaust hole is out of the water at any speed. Always shut the boat off when people are swimming behind the boat. But it does need weight. At minimum get the 650lb transom bag.

all that being said our main sport for boating is surfing, so we elected to trade ours for a dedicated surf boat. The Yamaha is a perfect starterboat for surfing

Precisionlr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My .02 c. Surfing behind 195s last 3 years here are some thoughts-
- Is it safe? There is always a risk in water sports. Rule of thumb don’t wrap the rope around anything or coil up slack or you could lose a thumb or something else. Surfing downwind can create a higher exhaust exposure so we always try to avoid that when possible.
- letting go of rope on 195. You don’t need a wakebooster as the single engine doesn’t create bad wash. on double engine models they are highly recommended. You need a good amount of pitch (bow up) to create push. 5 ppl on boat seated in the right places with transom ballast actually creates a pretty good wave on the 195, just my opinion- but I think better than the twin engine larger boats
- And the wakebooster does NOT reduce exhaust and the exhaust hole is out of the water at any speed. Always shut the boat off when people are swimming behind the boat. But it does need weight. At minimum get the 650lb transom bag.

all that being said our main sport for boating is surfing, so we elected to trade ours for a dedicated surf boat. The Yamaha is a perfect starterboat for surfing
Would you still reccomend the fat sacs if im a beginner learing to wakesurf behind a 195 fsh sport?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would you still reccomend the fat sacs if im a beginner learing to wakesurf behind a 195 fsh sport?
Absolutely- the ballast will add enough size and push to drop the rope. If you don’t it will just be wakeboarding on a surfboard

Precisionlr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Absolutely- the ballast will add enough size and push to drop the rope. If you don’t it will just be wakeboarding on a surfboard
Great thanks a lot. Any idea on a good beginner wakesurf board I looked some up online and a lot of people have different opinions. Im 6’2 205 and can i also use my wakeboard rope for it and shorten it or should i have a specific wakesurf one

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great thanks a lot. Any idea on a good beginner wakesurf board I looked some up online and a lot of people have different opinions. Im 6’2 205 and can i also use my wakeboard rope for it and shorten it or should i have a specific wakesurf one
Our first board is a CWB Ride 54”. still keep it on the boat for beginners and it’s durable. Anything long, surf style and floaty works well. Buy something used while u learn and then decide what you want based on your progression.

You can use a wakeboard rope, that’s what we did as a starter .. as long as it’s floating handle.
was nice for beginners to have the surf rope, easier to pull yourself in on when learning.