• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakebooster and Thrust Vectors

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you want the custom transom bag, I highly recommend you get it through Gantlin @jcyamaharider to support an active member here. Aside from that he can actually get you product, I ordered last week and had it at my door within a few days.
Good call!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Literally just spoke to Will at jetboatpilot.......he emphasized strongly that my single engine AR195 won't really benefit with the Yamaha wake booster. He assured me that with the Thrust Vector Wake and the right ballast I can achieve just as good of a wake to ride. I have ordered the TVW and will start there. These boards are an incredible resource! Thank you so much everyone
Did he offer any proof of this? The wakebooster, or wake wedge from Gatlin, cleans up the wave and is specific to the surf side it's installed on. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe his device has the same ability to produce that clean of a wave - his seems more of a generic and directional (down) wave shaper. Someone prove me wrong with pictures.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's interesting to hear from JBP. I already had my TVW on the boat when I added the Wakebooster, so I can't offer any before/after comparison. I will say that to my eyes adding the Wakebooster does change the wake and seem to clean it up. Maybe it won't matter with enough ballast, I can't really say yet.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Literally just spoke to Will at jetboatpilot.......he emphasized strongly that my single engine AR195 won't really benefit with the Yamaha wake booster.
that's interesting,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here's my before and after wakebooster pics:

Before:
Wave 2.jpeg

After:
Wave 4.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Literally just spoke to Will at jetboatpilot.......he emphasized strongly that my single engine AR195 won't really benefit with the Yamaha wake booster.
Here's my before and after wakebooster pics:
@anmut
I was trying to find some 19' model comparisons since that was the boat type that was said to not really benefit from the booster

I just couldn't think of anyone else offhand that had that model and a booster,

OldFireGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@anmut
I was trying to find some 19' model comparisons since that was the boat type that was said to not really benefit from the booster

I just couldn't think of anyone else offhand that had that model and a booster,

Thanks for those! What was your ballast set up? My initial plan is to install my Thrust Vector Wake unit on my AR195 so I can have some steering.......man that was a quick lesson as a first time jet boat owner. As I add to my water toys......I will play with ballast once I buy a surf board. Right now I wanna focus on wake boarding some. If Will is right and I set up my ballast correctly, I won't need the booster. Now let me be clear....he specified no real advantage with the booster on single engine Yamaha's.......not dual. Really appreciate you sharing those

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With respect to Will, I have both the TVW and the Wakebooster on my 2019 AR195 and I think the Wakebooster cleans up the wave. I just got the Gatlin transom bag this week and started to play with it. I tried it with and without the Wakebooster. In my limited testing the wave was cleaner all around using the booster. Maybe my opinion will change over time as I try different ballast setups, we'll see. For now I'm continuing to use the booster.

I also think its worth pointing out that - as i understand it - Will's tests have been run using a large amount of steel shot ballast, because that's what he advises to go with the TVW product. So it could very well be the case that the booster doesn't add much when using only steel shot in the arrangement he suggests (see his Youtube video for amounts and locations). However, for my situation, I can't justify lugging 800lbs of steel on/off the boat every time. My use case with the water ballast bags is a bit different from his.

OldFireGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
With respect to Will, I have both the TVW and the Wakebooster on my 2019 AR195 and I think the Wakebooster cleans up the wave. I just got the Gatlin transom bag this week and started to play with it. I tried it with and without the Wakebooster. In my limited testing the wave was cleaner all around using the booster. Maybe my opinion will change over time as I try different ballast setups, we'll see. For now I'm continuing to use the booster.

I also think its worth pointing out that - as i understand it - Will's tests have been run using a large amount of steel shot ballast, because that's what he advises to go with the TVW product. So it could very well be the case that the booster doesn't add much when using only steel shot in the arrangement he suggests (see his Youtube video for amounts and locations). However, for my situation, I can't justify lugging 800lbs of steel on/off the boat every time. My use case with the water ballast bags is a bit different from his.

Great information right there....thank you. Yes, I thought the same thing about the steel ballast! Not hauling that crap around every time I go to the lake. So I won't rule out the booster at this point......as I continue to make needed modifications moving forward(Thrust Vector, ballast bags, and actually buying a board)I will keep your feedback in mind if I can't get a decent wave. Much still to do. Testing the TVW today

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have the wakebooster on my AR195 and with 4 guys and my two yamaha ballast tanks I can go ropeless. Bear in mind I make it about a quarter mile and lose the sweet spot. apparently I am missing something with the Vector Thrust Wake....I apparently need to invest in this????? Help educate me! How much? How hard to install?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the wakebooster on my AR195 and with 4 guys and my two yamaha ballast tanks I can go ropeless. Bear in mind I make it about a quarter mile and lose the sweet spot. apparently I am missing something with the Vector Thrust Wake....I apparently need to invest in this????? Help educate me! How much? How hard to install?

What board are you using? I wouldn't spend the money on an additional wake enhacer, I'd. Spend it on a board,
I think you'd gain more from a board than tvw's at this point

Tayhadasuperjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What board are you using? I wouldn't spend the money on an additional wake enhacer, I'd. Spend it on a board,
I think you'd gain more from a board than tvw's at this point
Agree or spend the money on the 650lb ballast bag. I am unsure if TVW would do much more.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Agree or spend the money on the 650lb ballast bag. I am unsure if TVW would do much more.
Hell, you can buy some pretty cheap 500lb Fat Sac bags for testing.

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ronix Speedster. 5' long. I am open to any wake surfing help. My 11 yr old surfs pretty well with just the family and the ballast bags. I can surf but can't do much moving or I pop out of the sweet spot.

Bear in mind...I have surfed twice in my life. So we are incredibly fresh.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ronix Speedster. 5' long. I am open to any wake surfing help. My 11 yr old surfs pretty well with just the family and the ballast bags. I can surf but can't do much moving or I pop out of the sweet spot.

Bear in mind...I have surfed twice in my life. So we are incredibly fresh.
I'd definitely give it some time then, two times is not enough to start throwing money at it,

maybe hold the rope with your front hand and try to keep slack in it, it took me literally 50 times before I could go ropeless and looking back it was just about my balance and foot placement,

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
OK. I was thinking the VTW would help with pulling tubes and when my boys waterski at shorter line lengths. Right now I think I am running a 75' rope for tubing. There is a pretty decent spray on them when they ski.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK. I was thinking the VTW would help with pulling tubes and when my boys waterski at shorter line lengths. Right now I think I am running a 75' rope for tubing. There is a pretty decent spray on them when they ski.
ok, I thought we were just talking about forming the wave,
if you have other issues with spray you may consider them, personally I think I'd look at something homemade first to knock down spray, lucikily on my boat I don't have any spray issues from the jets,

the price of the TVW, having to expoy them on, are they on a final/proven version yet? and some members reporting that it causes heavy steering would lead to me to look for other avenues first,