• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakebooster setup, position, and brief review

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, picked up a new wakebooster. I was told that Yamaha only sells the booster and float as a package. No more rope, board, and wakebooster. Yay, I thought it was the right move for Yamaha. I already have 2 boards, a slingshot foil, and the rope. I didn’t want to spend another 1k on a rope and board that I didn’t want.

So the wakebooster positioning...
It goes on pretty easy. But, how are you all positioning the angle of it? There’s a little play in the angle so that we could draw in more or less water. The more water that’s drawn in, the more the wakebooster angles the water towards the swim platform. I set it up so that the inside edge/along the back of the swim platform of the wakebooster runs parallel to the back of the swim platform. Hard to explain. Pics to come...

review of wakebooster after day 1, 2 hrs of surf-
First off overpriced for what it is.
second, it works. It works really nicely. Cleans up the wake. Makes ropeless surf much easier on this boat. I spent 2 seasons trying to surf well on this boat, using lots of different stock settings.I could go rope less before, just harder, now I can, thanks to this bent piece of metal. I had my port ballast full, starboard at 50%. My wife driving, and 2-8/9 year olds Sitting in back on port side. Minimal list of the boat.
the rest of the package is crap. The rope Yamaha gives you to tie the float to the wakebooster is a joke. It should just be a couple carabiners to clip the float on and off. Also, the bag that the wakebooster goes into...seems oddly shaped, small in some areas and baggy in others. I’m not impressed. I could’ve designed something waaaay better. So, best parts of the product is the float and the bent piece of metal named the wakebooster. I like the effect it has on the wave and consider it a success. I just can’tover generalize and say the whole system is perfect. Pics to follow, and what are your thoughts on positioning? I’ll mess with it today on the water. Cheers.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Didn’t know this kit exists, nice to know so thx for this info. How much are they selling the Wakebooster and float Kit? The previous package which included WB, float, rope, and SShot board was $1000 and now I think it’s $1300 but not sure? So how much is the package without board and rope?

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We purchased the wakebooster a couple of months ago and just started trying to use it. We are very novice to this. It seems the wake shape looks decent however we need more ballast. Yesterday we ran with only 400lbs of ballast and could not go ropeless. Today we will be adding a few more adults and more ballast to see how this turns out. I will try to take some pictures and or videos. Very interested to see your pics.

As for positioning, we have AR210 and our wakebooster has tabs. I don't expect we have many variables in angle positioning. I did notice when I took the wakebooster off last night it had shifted a little.

Looking forward to more feedback on your system setup. Thanks and enjoy your Saturday.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here’s the pics. Notice how I turned the booster? Wondering if anyone has done any trials? I will be today. Cheers.

Attachments

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Because I don’t want to be trying to tie a knot with Yamahas short, low quality rope. That’s a pain to do.... extra climbing carabiner... duh. EF76DFC1-4A74-4005-A404-C8A6E9F203CE.jpeg

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Garbage bin got new advertising, hope no one steals it thinking it’s in Yamaha’s newest top secret creation. Super wakebooster ballast can. Wait till I strap this baby on the swim deck...37B392F3-9D52-430F-84EA-9A597EDF0E61.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The guys that build the Wake Wedge started out surfing with bins filled with water about 10 years ago. So don't try to patent that @NORCAL-GAS :)

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The guys that build the Wake Wedge started out surfing with bins filled with water about 10 years ago. So don't try to patent that @NORCAL-GAS :)
Awe sheeeeeet! Dang, and I thawt I was up to somethin, whowoulevethought that this was cutting edge circa 2010 for Yamaha. Hahaha. Is what it is. But it works good enough. I’m happy and sun burnt.

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've got a 242x and I tried wiggling it around between runs. I feel like sticking out 3/4 of an in gave the best wave...it was only my 2nd time out and I've never tried to surf without it. My booster was $800 and will last indefinitely, inflatable towable for my 2 and 4 year old was $350 and probably won't last 2 season. 800 well worth it IMO.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed. It will probably last as long as the boat.
I also found having it stick out 1” roughly helps the wake nicely. Not 100% sure it’s got more push, but I liked 1” out.

Brian B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That 1" out also helps slide the big pin in and out. I was reading install tips and people were having a hard time. Sliding it out all the way was the key to get the pin in then push to desired position and twist screw to lock it in.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I found that the wakebooster wouldn’t sit flush at first. I had to make sure I wiggled it around a bit. Then I slide the pin through, put the perpendicular safety pin through, then I tighten it down once it’s in the exact position I want. FYI, the carabiner clip on float works waaay better than the stiff short poly twine that the booster came with.

DanP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine has "tabs" on the ends of my booster and like someone else said the Yamaha video says that tab should be flush with the side, not the swim deck.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmm. That’s interesting Dan. I’ll spend more time evaluating the waves created by position.
I wonder how bad it is to keep the wakebooster on while driving around? Like tubing and cruising around at 25-30 mph.

Side note, I wonder if a really good wake/surf wave could be created by a full swim deck platform type of wakebooster. Something that clips into both corners and shapes the wave all the way across the back of the platform. I bet the jet wash could also be redirected down.....@..... JetBoatPilot

PBear

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Mine has "tabs" on the ends of my booster and like someone else said the Yamaha video says that tab should be flush with the side, not the swim deck.
@DanP -- FYI - the 21' wakebooster has tabs and is a different shape than the 24' booster. For the 21' booster, there's only one fit on the boat, not like the 24' which has no tabs is able to be sligthly "moved" based on the size of the opening for the tie down.

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good information - love the carabiner ideda! I found it VERY difficult to get the little safety pin in and out, so I stopepd using it - I figured it is on a float so if it falls off I can still get it. This has saved me lots of time and frustration and I am able to get the Booster on and off very quickly now. Also, I found we get good waves with 100% surf side, 25% in the ski locker and 40% on the non surf side...two people on the swin deck and two on the surf side and one up front (me driving) - great wave and no issue going ropeless. Crusing speed between 10 and 11 mph. More ballast the better - goal is to get the sim platform on the surf side almost under water - that will give you killer waves!! Have fun!