• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in my bilge

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should add that the reason that I posted the pic in the previous post is because I've read in another post that Yamaha knows about the anchor locker drain problem. My dealership thanked me for telling them about the problem. Obviously they didn't get the memo from Yamaha.
I know that I sound bitter, because I am. Boats are not supposed to leak, unless they are those big yachts with prop shafts that are designed to leak. Yamaha boats are not supposed to leak, yet the dealerships are so used to them leaking that they tell you that its normal.
Those are the facts, like it or not.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind that not all Yamaha boats leak from the factory, and it is the dealers job to prep your boat and ensure it is seaworthy (that it wasn't jolted around on the shipping trailer to the dealer and fittings loosened)....and that should include that it doesn't leak. But it can never hurt to give Mother Yamaha some direct in person feedback - vs their employees that read the forum in their spare time :)
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that ALL YAMAHAS LEAVING THE FACTORY DO LEAK.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many of the clamps that I found either loose or not even attached were in areas that you had to remove or unscrew panels to get to. that is not something a dealer would be looking for they are only going to look for obvious things which I am sure they still miss.
I had to unscrew and remove the whole clean out tray to gain access to the hoses as well as remove the lower cup holders to get at one more clamp on each side. I wish i got pictures of the clamps just dangling there in bottem.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Btw when i was in there i noticed the drain hose that connects the tray drain to the transom was way too long and it was kinked to the point that is never drained and the water just collected on top.....another great quality control issue. Easy fix. Just shortened the hose so that it didnt kink when the tray was installed and now it drains just as it should

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Btw when i was in there i noticed the drain hose that connects the tray drain to the transom was way too long and it was kinked to the point that is never drained and the water just collected on top.....another great quality control issue. Easy fix. Just shortened the hose so that it didnt kink when the tray was installed and now it drains just as it should
I noticed the exact same issue on mine. Peeked down into the bilge and the drain line was kinked. Hade an O5 Moobma Mobius LSV and it leaked as well but only when the packing was getting worn out. Never experienced the volume of water leaking that I have with this boat.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get a little water after about 4 to 5 hours. Probrably a gallon or less but I havent checked my anchor locker drain yet. Even after longer stints on the water my bilge pump had never come on so i havent been overly concerned

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm sure that the dealerships would be happy to fix all of the leaks before we take delivery when Yamaha pays them to do it. This includes all of the sea trial time looking for water in the bilge, going back to the shop, fixing and sealing, going back to the lake for another sea trial, going back to the shop to fix another leak; insert if/then do-loop...
Although you may think that I'm joking, I'm not. The dealerships get X amount of $ to get the boat cleaned up and ready for delivery. After being brushed-off by the first dealership, I engaged a second one to fix my leaks. They wouldn't touch the boat unless I first agreed to pay them for the time to hunt down the leak if Yamaha wouldn't pay them in the situation that they could not find exactly what needed to be fixed in order to correct the leak. I agreed. They found a leak. They provided proof to Yamaha, who then gave them approval to fix it.
It's important to realize that the dealer doesn't get reimbursed for anything unless they can specify a defect that needs to be corrected. "The boat leaks." does not work with Yamaha. It needs to be something specific.
So, Yamaha has had hundreds if not thousands of examples of where their boats are leaking, yet the new ones arriving at the dealerships right now leak. I know this to be the truth because I stuck my head into the anchor locker of a brand new 242X two weeks ago, as it was being unpacked and set up at the dealership, and I found this:
View attachment 51357

I think that it's wrong to put this onto the dealerships. It's a factory quality assurance issue, plain and simple.
Agree on everything you said.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had the same problem, also quick fix by just shortening the hose. It was completely closed of.

And thank you for pointing out the exhaust clamping issues, that is dangerous. Had it all opened for my tabs install, and SO kicking myslef for not checking on the clamps/exhaust. Meant to do it and totally spaced.

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding the tray drain. I'm not saying that it's a good design, but based on conversations with my dealer, the drain tube is intended to be a little long in order to create a zigzag pattern to impede the flow of water in the opposite direction. The concept clearly doesn't work. My hose isn't pinched-off due to kinking (as others have had), and although it does have a zigzag shape to it, my tray gets pretty wet when I put my boat into reverse because water shoots up the drain from the jet spray. It's not a big deal for me, as long as nothing gets into my bilge.
@swatski, didn't you install a check-valve in your drain line after you straightened it out? I think that's the best solution.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding the tray drain. I'm not saying that it's a good design, but based on conversations with my dealer, the drain tube is intended to be a little long in order to create a zigzag pattern to impede the flow of water in the opposite direction. The concept clearly doesn't work. My hose isn't pinched-off due to kinking (as others have had), and although it does have a zigzag shape to it, my tray gets pretty wet when I put my boat into reverse because water shoots up the drain from the jet spray. It's not a big deal for me, as long as nothing gets into my bilge.
@swatski, didn't you install a check-valve in your drain line after you straightened it out? I think that's the best solution.
Good point @MrMoose about it working funny in reverse - I did not think about it. I ended up just shortening the hose - turning an occlusion (kink) in to a bend.

I toyed with an idea of installing a valve but decided that's was just crazy over-engineering in this application. But maybe not. I need to observe it going fast in reverse.

--

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Took the day off and worked on finding where my leak was coming from.
I took the boat and put about 6 to 8 inches of water in my builge and It only took a couple minutes to see a steady stream of water coming out from my plug. I dropped the boat at the dealer and the service rep said that I'm the only boat owner that they seen with this problem which I find hard to believe!!!
I also checked everything in my bilge and behond and found every hose clamp was there and everything was seal!!!
Hopefully is a quick fix!!! Will see what the dealer does and will keep you all updated!!!
IMG_0489.JPG

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Took the day off and worked on finding where my leak was coming from.
I took the boat and put about 6 to 8 inches of water in my builge and It only took a couple minutes to see a steady stream of water coming out from my plug. I dropped the boat at the dealer and the service rep said that I'm the only boat owner that they seen with this problem which I find hard to believe!!!
I also checked everything in my bilge and behond and found every hose clamp was there and everything was seal!!!
Hopefully is a quick fix!!! Will see what the dealer does and will keep you all updated!!!
View attachment 51389
Wow, that's quite a bit of water. Imagine how much water is leaking in with water pressure. Wonder if the o-ring is damaged or not sealing properly due to leftover manufacturing shavings.

Similar to others, I noticed quite a bit of 'leftover' filings, etc in my bilge so sucked it out best I could with a shop vac and cleaned the drain plug threads out with a q-tip. Put some lubricant around the drain plug O ring as well to it didn't bind when tightening. With all the sealant I've applied around the scupper hull fitting and clean-out ports, down from draining several gallons each time to less than a cup full.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, that's quite a bit of water. Imagine how much water is leaking in with water pressure. Wonder if the o-ring is damaged or not sealing properly due to leftover manufacturing shavings.

Similar to others, I noticed quite a bit of 'leftover' filings, etc in my bilge so sucked it out best I could with a shop vac and cleaned the drain plug threads out with a q-tip. Put some lubricant around the drain plug O ring as well to it didn't bind when tightening. With all the sealant I've applied around the scupper hull fitting and clean-out ports, down from draining several gallons each time to less than a cup full.
I clean everything before putting the plug and this is the 3rd new plug that I install!!! I think they may be a problem with the housing!!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know the dealer is probably free with warranty, but if the issue exists after I would replace myself. Hopefully that is the only issue and an easy fix. Simple problems are so frustrating on anything.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Crossing my fingers it will be an easy fix but keep in mind I replace 3 plugs already with the same results so is something else or maybe is the wrong plug.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Crossing my fingers it will be an easy fix but keep in mind I replace 3 plugs already with the same results so is something else or maybe is the wrong plug.
Was it just the plug you changed, actual screw in piece, or the entire assembly?

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Talk to the dealer today and they won't look at my boat till Thursday so will keep you all posted!!

G.P. On the water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jaime, I had a scarab 195 I put 100 hours in it in two years and the bilge pump was never on.Zero water in the hull. I had some other issues, some gaskets at the glove box, some loose controls and the captain chair got detached from the floor during cruising due to loose bolts. So, I decided to upgrade to a 212x that I have not been able to use due to weather here in Dallas, yesterday I fixed my anchor locker per the recommendations of many members here. I should not be doing this in a brand new boat!! My 212x is in a covered slip on a hoist and I found some water in the ski locker yesterday, probably from testing the ballast tank/bag? I am not sure. I also found all these plugs and I was not able to screw them in, I don't know if something is wrong with the thread, I read and asked in a forum here on compartment drains and my conclusion is that is better to have there open.

I have few friends with older Yamaha's and they never had problems, great reviews and reliability until you see these horror stories here... I am in the same situation at this point, i'm thinking if I should have upgrade to a 215 wake edition from scarab. Better quality??

I will keep you posted on leaks when I start to use the boat and hopefully try not to be frustrated before the fact.

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Jaime, I had a scarab 195 I put 100 hours in it in two years and the bilge pump was never on.Zero water in the hull. I had some other issues, some gaskets at the glove box, some loose controls and the captain chair got detached from the floor during cruising due to loose bolts. So, I decided to upgrade to a 212x that I have not been able to use due to weather here in Dallas, yesterday I fixed my anchor locker per the recommendations of many members here. I should not be doing this in a brand new boat!! My 212x is in a covered slip on a hoist and I found some water in the ski locker yesterday, probably from testing the ballast tank/bag? I am not sure. I also found all these plugs and I was not able to screw them in, I don't know if something is wrong with the thread, I read and asked in a forum here on compartment drains and my conclusion is that is better to have there open.

I have few friends with older Yamaha's and they never had problems, great reviews and reliability until you see these horror stories here... I am in the same situation at this point, i'm thinking if I should have upgrade to a 215 wake edition from scarab. Better quality??

I will keep you posted on leaks when I start to use the boat and hopefully try not to be frustrated before the fact.
Thanks for your story!!! I my self very surprised at the lack of quality control from the factory, I owned many boats in the past and and they all had some small issues at one time but never had a boat that leak water Like my 242 Limited S E. (Boats are not suppose to leak)
Note: GOING ON 3 WEEKS AT THE DEALER WAITING ON PARTS!!!!