• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We took her off the sales floor! And a huge shout out for St. Charles Boat and Motor

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Swatski,

Any regrets getting the 24'? We are considering going bigger but I was leaning more towards the 21' as behind the window the boats seem pretty similar in size. Also how is the 24' for skiing? I would even consider a 195 if they could put some sound dampening and figure out how to put the radio by the driver. As my 190 is a great boat but with the boys growing I think I need more power (I'm not one to do modifications, I would prefer to buy it and use it). One main reason is at this point I don't have the time to do the modifications. Any thoughts on what will pull a skier up faster a 195 or a AR210? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You are right about the cabin room. There is one other thing to consider. The ride difference between a 19 and a 24 is huge, especially in rough water. Even the difference in a 21 and a 24 is quite noticeable! Just as a comparison, in my pic that is a 21 footer behind my 242.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski,

Any regrets getting the 24'? We are considering going bigger but I was leaning more towards the 21' as behind the window the boats seem pretty similar in size. Also how is the 24' for skiing? I would even consider a 195 if they could put some sound dampening and figure out how to put the radio by the driver. As my 190 is a great boat but with the boys growing I think I need more power (I'm not one to do modifications, I would prefer to buy it and use it). One main reason is at this point I don't have the time to do the modifications. Any thoughts on what will pull a skier up faster a 195 or a AR210? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
No regrets so far, which is good because I was REALLY questioning my judgment (buying new boat, lol). (I have almost poulled the trigger for a very nice 2009 232LS, well - I actually did pull the trigger, but the target moved, lol. , But that is a different thread).
No need to mod much. Unless you want ballast - that is a bitch, just no way around it.

As far as skiing - the 195 will pull beautifully, and I would give an arm and a leg for a SVHO. With 195, the only mod - I would add the Ultimates (Cobra), but that's about it.

There is a big difference in size between 19s and 24s. Between the 21s vs 24s - mostly in the bow.

If you plan on seafaring - the new 24s are the only new jet propelled mass produced boats with a fully keel-ed hull. That makes a huge difference in rough water, something that surprised most of us. The keel is also outstanding for skiing and water sports - the boat feels planted, it's feels like it's on rails, not more wagging the stern and slip-sliding.

I have to run to my daughter's soccer game, but will post more later today.

You can not go wrong with any of those choices - that is a great thing - each has its own merits.

--

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@swatski Dude you really have it going on.. It's nuts to watch and read all the stuff you do to your boats! Do you think they will put the svho's in a 24ft? If they do and put and larger gas tank in I will take the plunge for sure.. That would be a bad bad Yammie!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Dude you really have it going on.. It's nuts to watch and read all the stuff you do to your boats! Do you think they will put the svho's in a 24ft? If they do and put and larger gas tank in I will take the plunge for sure.. That would be a bad bad Yammie!
I don't think so. Unless they decide to build a bigger boat for wake sports, which they might. That would be a 26' something with twin SVHOs for sure, and a bigger fuel tank.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SCP1 I used to think the 212s were the best boats in Yamaha lineup. And they were. But when the new 2015+ 240s came out, it is hard to look past the value of something like the new AR240 package. Those new hulls have so many great things going for them, not even funny. Yamaha is certainly not the shiniest, most refined and most sexy, but when it comes to pure functionality I think they are really ahead of the pack.

With the AR 240, some upgrades would be necessary, for example the OEM speakers have to go - day 1 (cheap Polk DBs651 - probably $100-120 for 4 speakers - fit right in and you could stop there, or add $100 for a micro amp and some $50 for wire - and you are done (unless you want to keep moding those stereos - of course - sky is the limit). For serious skiing - you will need drive control - Ridesteady which is all electronic w/no servo motors (~$1,000), wouldn't even look at Perfect Pass at this point. Cobra AKs (~$200 - don't quote me, I don't remember exactly).
You could probably live with the rest of it, maybe just add SeaDek ($500 w/group buy) - that is a great upgrade.

Now, if you want the E-throttles and the big bimini (both of which are amazing in their own right) - you need to move up to the E-series models, which would be (realistically) about 10k up. But then - you would NOT have to mod much of anything - so the difference is closer to 5-8k in reality.

All of the above notwithstanding, I have a friend/acquaintance in my marina (actually he trailers, but same difference) with a 210 - he and his extended family LOVE it to death. They have had it for 3-4 seasons now, and they are there every weekend really enjoy that boat, beat the crap out of it and do EVERYTHING with it. It is fun to watch. The 210 will fit a big family no problem, and pull a skier or two, no problem.

--