• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Weight Distribution Hitch

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This 5,000 pound plus weight distributing hitch requirement has been around for a long time. For example the 2007 GMC tow guide states "A Weight-Distributing Hitch and Sway Control is required over 2268 kg (5000 lb.) Trailer Weight."

Most of us ignore this "requirement".

Pate

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for all of the comments. I have decided to go with the equalizer WD Hitch with Pole tongue adapter. It is compatible with surge brakes and allows me to backup also. I found everything on etrailer.com for around $750. I am just going to err on the side of caution even though I know there are people out there towing way more than my boat without thinking twice about it. I won't buy anything until we get a little closer to boating season here.

Btw, I have spent countless hours researching this and it turns out that most people do not know about this. I do have a class IV receiver on the vehicle too. This may also explain why my BMW X5 blew through some rear tires this past summer even though I had a self-leveling suspension (significantly more weight on the rear wheels). I've heard of other people using the equalizer system and it seems to be the best and shouldn't add much to my time after the initial setup.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This 5,000 pound plus weight distributing hitch requirement has been around for a long time. For example the 2007 GMC tow guide states "A Weight-Distributing Hitch and Sway Control is required over 2268 kg (5000 lb.) Trailer Weight."

Most of us ignore this "requirement".
I just had to read about this. Sure enough a quick search revealed a bunch of articles about this. The short version is that even though towing capacity has gone up this has not changed in decades. Once again I learned something new today.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use a Reese dual cam trunion style hitch for our travel trailer. For the boat, a simple tri ball. I'd give the F150 a trial run and see how it does. Curious how the Equalizer does.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tow our Ar230 with my F150 ( 9400 lb towing capacity ) without a WDH and I tow our 8000 plus pound travel trailer with a WDH hitch with sway control. I don't even notice the Boat anymore because the camper is a much different type of pulling then the boat. The truck does fine with either. I would give the truck a chance pulling the boat and save the 750 bucks. BTW my hitch was nowhere near that much, but it could be due to the surge brake compatibility.

Pate

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you guys are right. I'll give the truck a chance and see how it works when I get it out of winter storage. As I was finalizing my research for the WDH, I saw that the pole tongue adapters are not recommended for swing away hitches. It just started seeming their was always one thing after another. I will double check my boat weight and tongue weight on my boat and then just tow it. There are many people doing it with no issues or unusual tire wear. This is what I get for reading manuals. I could see a new trailer and all sorts of other things if I tried to do everything perfectly. Thank you everyone for your input and recommendations. I really have enjoyed this forum for over a year during my boat research phase and then first summer of ownership.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you guys are right. I'll give the truck a chance and see how it works when I get it out of winter storage. As I was finalizing my research for the WDH, I saw that the pole tongue adapters are not recommended for swing away hitches. It just started seeming their was always one thing after another. I will double check my boat weight and tongue weight on my boat and then just tow it. There are many people doing it with no issues or unusual tire wear. This is what I get for reading manuals. I could see a new trailer and all sorts of other things if I tried to do everything perfectly. Thank you everyone for your input and recommendations. I really have enjoyed this forum for over a year during my boat research phase and then first summer of ownership.
Awesome, please keep your posts up, this is great education/refresher.
One thing I have learned, if you have excessive squatting of the truck rear end, I would start by shortening the hitch. It is amazing what it can do, simply decreasing the leverage as you bring the ball closer to the rear axle. For some reason, this is hardly ever discussed by manufacturers and such, which I think is puzzling.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To add to what @swatski said, make sure the boat trailer is level when on the ball also. If it isn't then this will also add tongue weight and will be a lot harder to pull.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To add to what @swatski said, make sure the boat trailer is level when on the ball also. If it isn't then this will also add tongue weight and will be a lot harder to pull.
yes, not like mine! I need to flip my drop receiver and ball over or add some air bags.

tru.png

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Pate , If mine can do this your new truck will have no problem with the boat.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This draw bar and ball combo worked perfect for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EOV492/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already had a class 4 draw bar with a 5 inch drop for my flatbed utility trailer and knew that would be too much for the boat so I got this just for the boat. At $23 and 7.5k lb rated you can't go wrong.

Here is the day I picked up my boat using that draw bar linked above. My street queen Ram 1500 has just a bit of sag.

IMG_3393.JPG

I would be more worried about the bias ply tires on the trailer and what they cause (search this site) than getting a wdh.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Pate hook that boat up to the truck and don't think twice about it.

In all honesty I had to look back at the original time stamps on this thread to make sure it wasn't an April Fools Day joke. :hilarious:

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I pull my boat with a 2014 F150 without a WDH and so far haven't had any issues. I have a 2 inch drop currently and have a slight tilt forward on the boat trailer. Think I'd be good with no drop. Picture makes the truck look like it's tilting back a little but is actually very close to level.

IMG_20161029_141314025.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I pull my boat with a 2014 F150 without a WDH and so far haven't had any issues. I have a 2 inch drop currently and have a slight tilt forward on the boat trailer. Think I'd be good with no drop. Picture makes the truck look like it's tilting back a little but is actually very close to level.

View attachment 49693
That is one sweet looking boat ;) The painted trailer almost disappears at a distance with the black bottom of the boat which is pretty cool. Nice looking combo with the truck as well.

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is one sweet looking boat ;) The painted trailer almost disappears at a distance with the black bottom of the boat which is pretty cool. Nice looking combo with the truck as well.
Great minds think alike! :)

I like the look of the black trailer but won't last long if I launch in salt water (thinking eventually a Bimini trip is in order). So either I find someone to hoist or buy a galvanized trailer in a couple years.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for all of the comments. I have decided to go with the equalizer WD Hitch with Pole tongue adapter. It is compatible with surge brakes and allows me to backup also. I found everything on etrailer.com for around $750. I am just going to err on the side of caution even though I know there are people out there towing way more than my boat without thinking twice about it. I won't buy anything until we get a little closer to boating season here.

Btw, I have spent countless hours researching this and it turns out that most people do not know about this. I do have a class IV receiver on the vehicle too. This may also explain why my BMW X5 blew through some rear tires this past summer even though I had a self-leveling suspension (significantly more weight on the rear wheels). I've heard of other people using the equalizer system and it seems to be the best and shouldn't add much to my time after the initial setup.
I have researched this greatly as well. I was going to do this with my Explorer. You can search the forum and you will see I had the same questions. I do want to give you a word of caution as I elected not to go with the tongue adapter and WDH. Reason, your trailer does not have enough space to mount the tongue adaptor. If you look closely at the measurements for locating the tongue adapter on the equalizer web site it needs to be mounted in a specific location. The welds, brackets for the folding tongue, trailer jack and bow stop all get in the way to mount this where it needs to be.

One can call me stupid, but I also came to the realization that WDH with sway bars and WDH hitch have two different meanings. Ex: I made a pit stop at Menards to just get a hitch and ball to tow a small trailer and it said weight distribution hitch on it. (I grew up and was taught that the WDH was everything including the sway bars, brackets etc). I then started questioning myself and tried to understand the meaning of a WDH. Is it the hitch only and ensuring the capacity of the hitch is within the rating of the tongue load? I started thinking that ford is implying the hitch only. So, I went to my dealer and asked them the intent in their advertising and was told what I was thinking and that it is the hitch only.

I am still a little confused to this day. I did end up trading the vehicle to know that I had the capacity to pull my boat safely. The Ecoboost Explorer could pull it just fine but was too small for my liking and knowing I was at max. You have a 1/2 ton pickup. I wouldn't hesitate pulling your boat without the equalizer set up. The concern I would have is GCWR. If your within that...tow away. JMHO

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great minds think alike! :)

I like the look of the black trailer but won't last long if I launch in salt water (thinking eventually a Bimini trip is in order). So either I find someone to hoist or buy a galvanized trailer in a couple years.
Wished I had a black trailer! My boat came with a galvanized and I'm a freshwater boater only.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wished I had a black trailer! My boat came with a galvanized and I'm a freshwater boater only.
Atlanta is not too far out of the way if one was traveling from Texas to FL.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Atlanta is not too far out of the way if one was traveling from Texas to FL.
I would up for an even swap if I ever ran across someone willing to do so. Just saying!