• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Well, gonna get a chance to learn how to pull my jet pump

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
We had a beautiful day on the water last Saturday...so nice in fact that we pushed our leaving time a little planning on a full throttle run back to the ramp right before dark. On the way back the boat felt OK, but I couldn't get the rev up above about 7,100 and was topped out at about 41 mph. With it not really vibrating it didn't occur to me there might be something in the pump. We pulled into the no wake zone and idled over for my wife to drop me to get the tow vehicle. Before I got off the dock she was calling me to tell me we had an over-temp warning. I told her to shut it down until I had the trailer in the water and we got her out with no more issues.

I took a quick look in the nozzle yesterday and I have a fairly large stick in there. I guess it's good to find such an obvious issue versus having to troubleshoot entire the cooling system.

With it being Mother's Day I didn't get a chance to get it out yesterday, but will probably get it done one evening this week. Anything I should do/check while it's all apart?

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can you get to the stick from the clean out port? It may save you the hassle of pulling the pump. You may even be able to break it up and pull it out in pieces if it won't come out in one piece.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I tried with no success. It will be good practice to pull the pump for the first time while in my driveway rather than at the ramp.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I honestly do not believe you need to pull your pump, sticks are usually swollen from being in the water and if you let it sit a few days you will see it will loosen quite a bit as it dries out, then it is easy to remove.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with jeff, if you don't want to mess with it and have time to let it dry out on the other hand, it's good practice and a confidence builder, You might end up having to do it at the boat ramp one day with a boat full of passengers wondering why they aren't enjoying the water,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry if this is obvious.. You can try pulling it from the front also..The hole where the water funnels in. Someone can wiggle from the clean out port, and someone else grabs and pulls from under the boat.

Worst case, pulling the pump is 6 bolts and the reverse gate link. Not a huge deal. If you spend more than 15 minutes and can't retrieve the stick by hand, I would pull the pump.maybe 45 minutes the first time, if you have a couple of adult beverages. (If the pump is stuck hard it could be more, but your boat is pretty new, it hopefully slides off pretty easy If removal is needed.)

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go for it. This video was really helpful the fist time I pulled mine. It was shot by a marina to pull a stick stuck in a pump. The video is shot in real time and is 9 minutes start to finish. I'm sure they charged the customer an hour or two for the repair.

They don't use a torque wrench but I think you should. Also, I use loctite on the threads. Not everyone does but remember it's there to keep the bolts from seizing as well. I think it's loctite 567 but can't recall. Get the smallest tube you can, it will last for years because you don't use much.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I finally got around to pulling the pump today. It’s super simple for those of you who might wonder if they will be able to do it at the ramp should they need to. Just need 10, 11 and 14 mm sockets an 11 mm box end wrench, a socket driver and extension and a flat head screwdriver.

I might could have gotten out the stick without pulling it, but after 4 boating seasons I was curious ho good my impeller and wear ring looked. They looked surprising great.

Attachments

Last edited:

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I meant to post this above and forgot (margaritas?).

When I pulled my pump, I couldn't remove the bolt that attaches the steering cable to the pump because of interpherence with the spring mechanism for the Thrust Vectors that are installed (installed by the previous owner). I probably could have removed the spring stuff (always weary of removing springs with no instructions handy), but was able to sit the pump to the side on a small box while I worked rather than bothering taking the spring mechanism apart.

In the back of my mind, I seem to remember in one of @JetBoatPilot 's videos that you should flip over that screw when you install the TV's. I tried to find an install video that showed that but never could come across it...maybe I'm getting senile.

Any reason why I shouldn't flip that screw in case I end up having to pump my pump somewhere when I don't have my handy box to sit it on?