• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wet sand and compound

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I had some serious scratches that my 2017 SX240 sustained when I was in Lake George, NY last week. The scratches were caused by a fender tired to a post that got blasted with sand in a storm.

I got brave and wet sanded with 1500 and then followed up with 2000 grit paper. I don't see any more scratches. I then used 3M High Gloss Gel Coat compound on it. I brought back a shine but it is still a duller shine. I have 3M Finesse It which I put on by hand. Still the shine is not there. I did the compound with an electric buffer using a 100 percent wool pad.

It has been damp and very humid here, could the weather be a factor. Any help is appreciated. Yes, I watched tons of videos on line but I can't get the results.

Thanks

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wool pads are fairly aggressive and are typically used with more aggressive compounds. I use my wool pad with Mcguires M105 Ultra Cut and then a foam finsihing pad with Mcguires M205 finishing polish to give it that showroom shine.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exactly ^^^^
The 105 would really help in between sanding and buffing.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agreed, switch to a foam pad and an orbital or D/A (dual action) buffer if you were using a wool pad with a rotary buffer. Wool pad and rotary buffer are aggresive. Time to use a polishing compound as said above, and then wax.

Last edited:

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thank you for all the help. I will get an orbital buffer today.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did 1000, then 2000, then 3m heavy compound and it came out like new. There were marks from the previous cf numbers.
1000g
20180807_162748.jpg
2000g
20180807_163506.jpg

Buffed, dewalt orbital with wool.
20180807_194153.jpg

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a great link I found on a sailboat site some time back. It was written by a guy who details boats for a living. The article is soup-to-nuts on how to bring your boat back to showroom (or better) condition. It includes cleaning product suggestions, orbital polisher pads recommendations and how to use them, along with a step by step process with pictures. I have used it to bring back some fairly battered used boats to like-new condition. You even get advise on buying the right orbital polisher.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/buff-magic.105832/&highlight=buff

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Finally got her done. Sanded with 1500 and then 2000. Used the 3mHigh Gloss Gel Coat Compound to bring back some of the shine back. Then I used a Maguire's #4 cut cleaner and polish to get it better and then Maguire's Boat wax. It came out excellent. It was my first wet sand and it took a lot of time for me but I saved $300. A boat detailer wanted $500.

Attachments

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Jls1975 For someone who just joined the forum and has no posts yet, if you dislike the information you should post a better alternative. There is plenty of information to back up my post. I have by hand wet sanded several hulls and then used various power tools and compounds to remove oxidation and restore a mirror like shine to the hulls of more than one boat. What have you done? Trolls don't last long here.

Edit: The action that spawned my reaction above was resolved. Another case of "accidental fat fingering" on tiny buttons.

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@Jls1975 For someone who just joined the forum and has no posts yet, if you dislike the information you should post a better alternative. There is plenty of information to back up my post. I have by hand wet sanded several hulls and then used various power tools and compounds to remove oxidation and restore a mirror like shine to the hulls of more than one boat. What have you done? Trolls don't last long here.
Not sure what he could have possibly disliked with your post - hopefully being new and unfamiliar with the features it was just inadvertent.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Dude, chill out!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes, I am new to Yamaha but I have been on boats for the past 36 years. I am new to SANDING GELCOAT and was anxious about trying it myself. In the end, with the help of many, including you, I got the job done and learned a lot.

Your thread was uncalled for but I will shrug it off as a bad moment for you.

Thanks to ALL who helped me in this process.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Brian_NY If you are talking about my second post just above, it had absolutely
nothing to do with you. Congrats on solving your original problem.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude, chill out!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes, I am new to Yamaha but I have been on boats for the past 36 years. I am new to SANDING GELCOAT and was anxious about trying it myself. In the end, with the help of many, including you, I got the job done and learned a lot.

Your thread was uncalled for but I will shrug it off as a bad moment for you.

Thanks to ALL who helped me in this process.
@Brian_NY - zipper was addressing another member, @Jls1975 - by "tagging" him with the "@", it had nothing to do with your post.
Congrats on the first sand job, that can be nerve-racking!

--

Jls1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure what he could have possibly disliked with your post - hopefully being new and unfamiliar with the features it was just inadvertent.

Jls1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I didn't realize I posted anything anything.

Jls1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't intend to post anything I must have hit it on accident. Just working late researching wet sanding my sx240. Sorry

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Jls1975 Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of good info on this forum. I am glad it ended up being an "accidental fat fingering" of that button. It happens now and then. My apologies for tagging you with attitude. I have seen great results by using the info in this book and the Marine 31 products.
20171122_075042.jpg
The heavy cut oxidation cleaner works better than other brand name rubbing compounds, like Turtle wax.
This is what my hull looked like after I took off the graphics.
20170415_144558.jpg
And then after using 1000 and 2000 grit wet paper.
20170430_102323.jpg
And then after buffing with the Marine 31 products.
20170525_171756.jpg
A big improvement over what I started with. Reflections of everything on the arena floor. Very satisfied with the results on the 23' Yamaha and the 35' Beneteau.

Jls1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info.