• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What’s in your boat trailering tool box(es)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
While cleaning the autos I decided to reorganize the things I keep in my boat’s tow vehicle and started thinking about what I have, should have/don’t need for the boat trailer.

here are pics of what I carry. I plan to reduce this but only if I’ve never needed the item before, most things are there because of experience.

what do you guys put in your box(es), trailering box(es) that it is?

Oops, forgot the pics.

I carry two boxes of gear at the very back of my expedition, a closed box for things I don’t expect to use and open box for the more often used items (e.g. jumper cables, electric air pump, etc.)

so from left to right: air pump, ratchet set, 2” ball and draw bar, anti theft wheel lock/boot, booster box, floor Jack, hammer, lug nut breaker bar and fittings, various tools, duct tape, new two part lug wrench, 18v driver for the lug nuts, heavy duty strap, bags of various straps, jumper cables, long and thick cable lock for trailer wheels or bikes/scooters on the hitch rack.

3661EA73-177E-4BA5-A279-000776FC3114.jpegB2B0416A-FB26-475B-B765-3EBAB021EAA8.jpeg4CB53014-8A88-4C02-B9D0-06D06E9C0BEC.jpeg357C58BC-EC1F-4F04-B10D-3DF1FE855A7B.jpegB509C6B5-5381-4BF5-88D1-FC34DCFD134E.jpeg7F8DEE0F-BFD7-4321-BD9A-6CD7BCC79F1B.jpeg

I have (3) of those Lowes(Kobalt) 3/8" drive socket sets. Had one in the Yamaha, kept it after the sale. I keep one on the Beneteau. And I gave my wife one to use in the sweat shop. The one that was on the Yamaha is now a mobile kit for fixing little things around the farm. Another tool kit I have is one from West Marine. It was too expensive for what you get, DUH, it's West Marine but it has a few things the other does not have. WEST MARINE Marine Tool Kit | West Marine

I keep these on the boat. I can use them on the trailer too. Yes, I do bring a drill.
20210621_151340.jpg

20210621_151440.jpg

20210621_151333.jpg

The trailer will require bigger 1/2" drive sockets 4-way for lugnuts, etc. A jack and spare.

I keep tools in the truck to service the trailer. One Caveat is that I live 20 mins from several ramps in our section of the lake. I also wet slipped the boat during the season, so I only used the trailer a couple of time a year. No long tows.

Last edited:
breaker bar, impact wrench, 2 spare tire in the bed of my pickup and air pump.

I don't always trailer my boats.

But when I do, I come heavy.

1643681871971.jpeg

--

Floor Jack, Jumper Cables, Generic tool kit from Harbor Frieght.

You guys carry way more than I do.

I carry a single small box. Has a bottle jack, collapsible 4-way, WD-40, Duct Tape, and $100 cash. Car came with a small 12V air compressor and a can of German "fix-a-flat", so that's with my all the time. Same goes for a Leatherman multi-tool, it's in the car 24/7. It'll do a LOT of things in a pinch. The boat has a small tool kit with wiring stuff if the trailer needs it. Spare tire is mounted on the trailer. Not much on the trailer to really go bad, so I don't carry much with me.

Boat kit has a small/cheap socket set, disposable pocket knife, wire strippers, connectors, wire, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, duct tape, pliers, channel locks, various small and large screwdrivers, spark plug socket and ratchet, spare plugs, and some other random things I can't think of. I also carry a Li-Ion jump pack with me that charges a few times a year. Again, boat is pretty simple, not a ton of things to go wrong, so I can pack pretty lightly.

I'm with @2kwik4u . In fact, I think I could have written exactly his description of what I carry and where...

Except that no pocket knife is disposable. They just reach end of useful life. :)

I'm with @2kwik4u . In fact, I think I could have written exactly his description of what I carry and where...

Except that no pocket knife is disposable. They just reach end of useful life. :)
I can agree with that. I buy 4 or 5 of the $1 folding knives from the camping section at Walmart every spring. One or two get lost. I keep one on the boat. A few get lent out and never seen again. For $1 they're as close to disposable as you can get.

Looks like they're up to $2.50 now. Still not expensive enough to get upset about if I drop it while cutting something on the water and it's never seen again.

In many posts on this forum, members carry full size floor jacks. Would a bottle jack not do the job? Certainly, a space saver if nothing else.

In many posts on this forum, members carry full size floor jacks. Would a bottle jack not do the job? Certainly, a space saver if nothing else.
I decided on a scissor jack. I can raise it with my 1/2" gun and make quick work of changing a flat. I use scissor jacks (4) to keep the wheels of the ground during storage. So far so good.

I decided on a scissor jack. I can raise it with my 1/2" gun and make quick work of changing a flat. I use scissor jacks (4) to keep the wheels of the ground during storage. So far so good.
I have 2 floor jacks a standard one and one for ATV/Motorcycle. I also have 4 Jack stands that I was going to use for off season storage in the garage before we moved. Boat is currently at offsite covered storage with a slight down slope so was hesitant to lift it off the ground. Currently 4th in line for a garage unit at local marina.

Back