• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What’s this? Latest broken thing... steering cable?

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
CBB228B6-C9C9-499C-BD72-06117C5B83CF.jpeg Well, have about 25hrs on the new boat. Maybe 30. Found this today after washing it down. It seemed to be steering rather strangely.
How hard is it to replace? Anyone know the part number?
2018 242x. Starboard side.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes and a pretty common issue on the twin engine a k boats, this is also the reason I add a second tie rod to the system with my magnum A k steering. Having a single steering cable doing all the work for the nozzle and rudder is probably not the best way to set up the steering especially if the rudder strikes the ground a few times. There were a lot of posts showing this very thing when they first came out with the twin a k boats a few years ago. Do search on that.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes and a pretty common issue on the twin engine a k boats, this is also the reason I add a second tie rod to the system with my magnum A k steering. Having a single steering cable doing all the work for the nozzle and rudder is probably not the best way to set up the steering especially if the rudder strikes the ground a few times. There were a lot of posts showing this very thing when they first came out with the twin a k boats a few years ago. Do search on that.
Ok. I’m sold. Any member deals. I’m ready to buy. I need it ASAP. I’m interested in a steering upgrade. Let’s chat.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone know the steering cable part number?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Basic Magnum A k system
A K with basic fangs
A k with mega fangs

Last edited:

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Should be covered under warranty for free. Almost 100 hours on mine and no issue, think you just got a bad cable.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Jeff, for those with a keel...it seems if you break one cable you can still move both nozzles with the other good cable! Has anybody reported that? (I don't have one so It does not apply to me, but it seems to create some redundancy in steering.)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Since making this system available for a few years now I do not know of anyone breaking a cable , one thing about the cables in normal use is when they push it is not that bad on them it's when they pull that they have a higher probability of breaking . That being said,
I believe that the rudder hitting the ground is most likely why the cables break like his did. Especially in the area of the threads meaning something pushed back on the nozzle applying serious pressure on the inner cable.
I recall several pictures similar to this and the steering cables were actually on back order not that long ago. Demand overrode the supply. But yes redundancy is certainly there when you have a pair of tie rods rather than only one . I like the fact that you get all time steering not just slow speed because the keel definitely keeps the boat wanting to go straight. And the twin tie rods actually provide a push/pull in either direction for a balance of the wear and tear on the nozzles and cables. Also the rack and pinion gearing of the helm to make it feel like there is no resistance in the system, also makes it harder for the nozzle to move the wheel if it is being pushed back on, so the cable is in more peril from that as opposed to the regular helm .

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is the middle of Summer. This cable, I think, can be ordered after market for around $150 and installed in about 3 hours or less if it's the first time ever, and you are slightly mechanically inclined.

Did you plan to use the boat next weekend? How long would the dealer take to replace? These are questions I would answer before I decided what approach to take if this was me. Best of luck.

Edit: I failed on my price estimation. It's around $150 not $100.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My '17 212X's steering is quite stiff. The dealer slopped some gear grease on the cables at the rear, which made things slightly better, but my wife can't stand it still. It just feels like there's something binding somewhere, but the dealer said it's fine. I have to fight the wheel a bit to make it turn. It doesn't try to spin on it's own, it's just like it doesn't want to turn.

Was yours exhibiting anything like this before it broke?

I think my plan is to monitor it over this season and then take it to a different dealer toward the end of the season to have them look at it.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might be worth a call to the dealer to see if they will give you just the cable under warranty, and you install yourself.

-Greg

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The dealer sucks. Seriously the worst customer service. I will try to avoid at all costs. My solution is the cobra magnum ak system. I’m going to fix the cable and add the extra tie rod. I had no issues prior, no stiff cables. I also don’t recall anything happening to break it. No marks on my A-keel

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am leaving the dealer after having some warranty work done. I had them replace my broken steering cable. This is what they replaced it with, it looks different than the original so maybe Yamaha beefed up there steering cables. It looks like this on both the port and starboard side. I remember the originals looking like threaded rod without that little sleeve on there.

Attachments

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well I looked again at the pics, Yamaha changed nothing. Same cable with their crappy design.

Best part of this experience was Jeff at cobra jet steering. Best customer service, helpful, available, and products that are solid. I put the magnum ak fins on with the additional tie rod from the keel to port jet for reinforcement.

When I picked my boat up from the dealer they would not shut up about the quality of the kit, especially the stainless steel port side tie rod that I added. He said Yamaha really needs to switch their design to this. I said “ duh”! He asked me who machined it for me. I told the service manager to check out cobra jet steering.

I guess in the end I have a solid set up now with two tie rods, which should keep any steering cables from snapping.