• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What are your thoughts on the Sea-Doo Switch Pontoon Jet Boat?

Texatl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yeah imagine that on a bigger scale
This got me thinking. Whether or not there proof of cracking of this material on the Spark:

A Ski gets used and frankly abused much differently than this 'toon will. Heck ski's do a lot of crap we wouldn't in bigger boats. So, I would imagine they won't have any issue with this material on the Switch. Because it won't take the same abuse or pressures against it.

Just my 2 cents.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMO these things will be all in the rental fleets to replace rental pontoons w/ outboards.

Personally I think it’s ugly for a pontoon and a PWC. It is the Fisher Price of pontoons. People will buy them though because it’s different. I’d rather have a nice Bennington or Avalon if I were pontoon shopping as they will not get tossed around like a Hobie Cat like these light things will. I would t feel comfortable driving one on a rough day on our lake. The handlebar steering is straight off the PWC parts bin and seems all wrong for a “real boat”. It just screams toy to me but different strokes for different folks. I’m not sure how that plastic hull would stand up to beaching on rocky bottoms like a metal hull does over time but it will be interesting to see. My guess is SeaDoo is cashing in for a bit and then will retract to PWC only like they seem to do as the flash in the pan dies out.

@Administrative should merge the multiple threads now.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone here have experience with the SeaDoo steering handle and throttle? I’ve driven Yamaha jet skis but not a modern SeaDoo with their speed control. I’m having a hard time imagining I could enjoy this system for cruising around during the day. I’m just so used to a steering wheel and throttle lever for a boating application.

For example - how does speed control work? Do you have to squeeze the throttle lever control the whole time? On a PWC that gets tiring over a long time. I’m curious to hear from current PWC users about long term comfort when cruising all day.

us17094

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Buy stock in Sea Doo now fellas. This thing might look ridiculous at first, but it is gonna take off. Less weight, adaptable, jet drive, enclosure, no rotting wood or rusting metal. I personally prefer my Yamaha, but this is gonna be big. My opinion.
I am with you. Hard core boaters won't be interested, but I believe casual boaters and first time buyers will go for this in big numbers. New pontoon boats are pretty darn expensive so the price point on these will be a huge draw. The wife wants a pontoon. I was never keen on the idea but I would be okay with this. My only criticism so far is the handlebar throttle. Would prefer a typical boat throttle that you don't have to constantly squeeze.

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone here have experience with the SeaDoo steering handle and throttle? I’ve driven Yamaha jet skis but not a modern SeaDoo with their speed control. I’m having a hard time imagining I could enjoy this system for cruising around during the day. I’m just so used to a steering wheel and throttle lever for a boating application.

For example - how does speed control work? Do you have to squeeze the throttle lever control the whole time? On a PWC that gets tiring over a long time. I’m curious to hear from current PWC users about long term comfort when cruising all day.
This got me thinking. Whether or not there proof of cracking of this material on the Spark:

A Ski gets used and frankly abused much differently than this 'toon will. Heck ski's do a lot of crap we wouldn't in bigger boats. So, I would imagine they won't have any issue with this material on the Switch. Because it won't take the same abuse or pressures against it.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I think most of the time when a Spark cracks it’s from hitting something under the water or some extreme wave jumping, neither of which I plan to do with this boat.

I have a spark and the IBR is really easy, like riding a bike. The right lever is the gas and the left is the brake. Squeeze once on the left and you are in neutral, hold it to brake just like a bike. After you stop if you keep holding it goes into reverse. My dealer just called and they are getting their stock in Feb. They said there is a limited run and they only get 20 so I put my deposit down.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The more I look at it the more I think it looks like a Cartoon boat!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Innovative and a big disruptor for sure. I don't like pontoons so its not for me at this time but this seems like it has a purpose for smaller lakes and maintenance less boating. Kudos to Sea Doo for the different innovations - steering, braking, modular deck/seating, tri-hull, .....

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Watch it throw a mean Wake for surfing with some light mods :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I read the article. A lot of interesting stuff. I really like the modularity. Also the braking system. Wonder how well that works.
Same here, but in the comments under the article I saw this statement that, for me, just doesn't work for a long and enjoyable day on the water:

I do have some and I agree about the throttle. In fact, my hand slipped off of the throttle once and the sudden deceleration did catch me by surprise. There is a hands-off cruise control system for moving slow, but anything with speed requires something on the throttle.

I simply don't think I would be happy in the long run with a boat where I have to hold the handlebar throttle down the whole time. Especially if we're out entertaining. I think these boats have a lot of great innovation in them, but the steering/throttle system needs a rethink.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes but it could evolve as well, as most of these things do as consumer feedback is received.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes but it could evolve as well, as most of these things do as consumer feedback is received.
I hope it does change. The new platform has a lot going for it and is full of innovation. Really a shame its weighed down by this strange design choice for a pleasure boat.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An new concept is often done radically to identify the aspects that favorably deviate from the status quo. We resist change, yet massive leaps are well respected when looking in the rear view mirror. A Yamaha boat was once radical. Now is see them everywhere. My hat is off to Seedoo for releasing a totally new concept in this environment. Jet propulsion and a modular deck are definitely new ideas in the pontoon market. I wonder how long before I spot one on the lake.

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here, but in the comments under the article I saw this statement that, for me, just doesn't work for a long and enjoyable day on the water:

I do have some and I agree about the throttle. In fact, my hand slipped off of the throttle once and the sudden deceleration did catch me by surprise. There is a hands-off cruise control system for moving slow, but anything with speed requires something on the throttle.

I simply don't think I would be happy in the long run with a boat where I have to hold the handlebar throttle down the whole time. Especially if we're out entertaining. I think these boats have a lot of great innovation in them, but the steering/throttle system needs a rethink.

I have a ghetto way of getting around that with my Spark when I got on longer runs. I have a loose zip tie around the handle bar and have it set to where I can slip it over the throttle and it will keep me right at 30 mph, you can adjust it to keep you at any speed. I know it’s ghetto but it works for now.